Extension of stay, Khon Kaen

kowpot

Went to Khon Kaen immigration today to do my first Extension of Stay. Got there at 0800. Door opened at 0830 and I got my number. Number 5, that is.  Number called about 0840, sat down with immigration officer.  Had to fill out the new form about my social life and such. Only filled in a little bit and sign the form about overstay.  Immigration officer did his thing and at 0915 walked out with my one year extension of stay.  Oh yeah, he also stapled the receipt from the tm-30 and put the slip in as to when my 90 day report is due. I don't think it can get any better than that.  Every Time I have dealt with Khon Kaen, immigration they have been superb. 

Lucky you.

Guess you live in KK city and can easy occupy the door at 8h.

I was there yesterday to transfer stamps from old to new passport.

100 km oneway.

Arrived at 10h. No ticket spit out?

-> power outage!

Waiting area crowded like mad. No seat available.

I gave up after 10 min, went shopping.

Return at 14h, again crowded like mad.

Got ticket nr. 33. Nr. 17 at the desk.

Waiting almost 2h.

Service was flawless.

But that only three of four counters are active with such a crowd is a bit poor.

(while some officer formerly working there walked around, chit chatting, female office boss mainly bored and inactive)

First counter, the very talkative officer with much tinsel dealt with a foreigner and his wife.

The guy was obviously completely unprepared and got an almost one hour(!!!) lecture about Thai immigration laws :bah::bah:

Why the hell don't they have a pamphlet/handout and sent them home to get their papers/conditions in order???

Years ago I was happy with KK.

But this is the second time this year that I see the place crowded like I have not seen for years.

Not too happy.

End of next month extension is due.

Planning to spend another afternoon there after shopping.

The 8h method with 100 km travel is too much for me.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Couldn't agree more, have done four extensions of stay at Khonkaen now and have always found them helpful and efficient but i use this checklist for documents i take to immigration

1.     . Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom, TM. 7  Be sure to complete and sign both the front and back of the form

2.      One photograph – 4cm x 6 cm, they can take a photo at Khon Kaen immigration

3.     Application fee of 1,900 Baht

4.     Passport (original)

5.     . Photocopy of passport pages

6.     Identity page(s) showing picture, name, and date issued, etc.

7.      Page showing the original Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” or “O” (if you renewed your passport since then, the page in new passport where Immigration transferred information from your previous passport will suffice)

8.      Page(s) showing each subsequent one year extension, if applicable (see comment above if you have changed passports)

9.     Page showing the last entry stamp into Thailand

10.  Photocopy of Departure Card, TM.6 (the card is usually stapled in your passport upon arrival).

11.  7. Documentation of Meeting Financial Requirements

a.     If using 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank or a combination of bank balance and monthly income:      

b.           Original Letter from your Thai Bank certifying your account and showing your balance (the  letter should be dated within the last 7 days – most obtain the day before applying).        If using 800,000 Baht+ to meet financial resources:

12.  a. First (Initial) Application - Needs to show funds have been on deposit at least 2 months before applying.

13.  b. Subsequent (renewal) Application – Needs to show funds have been on deposit for at least 3 months before applying.

14.  Photocopy of your bank passbook Identity page showing name and account number and page(s) showing funds on deposit for the required period if necessary – see i.1. above. NOTE: Have your original passbook with you in case the Immigration Officer wants to verify the photocopy.

15.  Evidence of your current address– if you rent, a photocopy of lease/rental agreement – if you own a condo, a photo copy of your house book or other evidence of ownership (although we have received some reports that this information was not requested, we have received far more reports that it was required – therefore we have included it in the checklist and suggest you have copies available as you are most likely to be asked for it). Use the yellow book double photocopied pages

REMEMBER to sign each photocopied page (this is your certification that the photocopy is a true copy of the original).

I used to get great service at KK immigration, but the officer I normally deal with has moved. I went there last week to pick up my married extension stamp on my passport. Two hour wait and then 5 minutes to get the stamp. My 90 day report is due 11 September from my previous (now expired) extension and I asked if they could change that to 90 days from the date of my new stamp (rather than having to come back again in 3 weeks). The lady wasn't interested - too difficult.

A month ago whilst there for my 90 report,  only two desks were working, and one of them was dealing with an agent with a large handful of passports.  So we all just had to wait.  The office was heaving, standing at the back in double lines.

A month ago whilst there for my 90 report,

Use the postal mail method!

Send via EMS and put 40 Baht stamp on return envelope.

I had done internet report four times.

The fifth attempt was on hold for 9 days so I went in person.

The last report done via postal mail.

It's a shame but I will fall back to the postal mail method ;)

If you still go in person for 90 day report then always contact the lady at the information desk.

She will usually rush you through.

They do the 30 second job in between their lectures ;)

Edited by KhunBENQ

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Lucky you.

Guess you live in KK city and can easy occupy the door at 8h.

I was there yesterday to transfer stamps from old to new passport.

100 km oneway.

Arrived at 10h. No ticket spit out?

-> power outage!

Waiting area crowded like mad. No seat available.

I gave up after 10 min, went shopping.

Return at 14h, again crowded like mad.

Got ticket nr. 33. Nr. 17 at the desk.

Waiting almost 2h.

Service was flawless.

But that only three of four counters are active with such a crowd is a bit poor.

(while some officer formerly working there walked around, chit chatting, female office boss mainly bored and inactive)

First counter, the very talkative officer with much tinsel dealt with a foreigner and his wife.

The guy was obviously completely unprepared and got an almost one hour(!!!) lecture about Thai immigration laws :bah::bah:

Why the hell don't they have a pamphlet/handout and sent them home to get their papers/conditions in order???

Years ago I was happy with KK.

But this is the second time this year that I see the place crowded like I have not seen for years.

Not too happy.

End of next month extension is due.

Planning to spend another afternoon there after shopping.

The 8h method with 100 km travel is too much for me.

I live only 45km away but don't have a car.

I use public transport to KK, 35 baht each way.

Sometimes I stay overnight in KK ( 600 baht ) and take samloor to and from Immigration ( 10 + 10 baht ).

When it is a 12 month extension you have to show your bank account is active and a copy letter from the bank, the earlier you can get in the bank doors the better.     If for some reason you don't need a bank letter, just your passbook then, at least you can do that at an ATM before you go to Immigration for 8.30am.

I do agree that only having 2 counters open is not enough, the officers somewhere else or getting their "early" morning tea break.   At one time there was often an officer near the door by the ticket machine who would give you advice or a nod to your favourite office.   They do now have an Information Desk which although helpful about my own reporting date DID NOT give me the "addition information forms" now required but only the TM47.

However, from what I have read elsewhere KK is probably ( at least for now ) one of the easiest places.

15 hours ago, lungbing said:

A month ago whilst there for my 90 report,  only two desks were working, and one of them was dealing with an agent with a large handful of passports.  So we all just had to wait.  The office was heaving, standing at the back in double lines.

Agree agencies should be served at dedicated counters only, perhaps even in a different room if possible.

KK waiting times vary a lot. I just had a 2 hour wait for a 90 day report and there were only 10 others waiting. It would help if they had a desk dealing with easy stuff like 90 day reports and stamping pre-approved marriage extensions. These things take a few minutes to do yet sometime you have to wait 2 or 3 hours for them. Delegation of jobs would speed things up for many people.

Alternatively do like the OP and get there before anyone else. It is a proven way to be at the front of the queue. 

Edited by somo

On 9/1/2016 at 7:33 AM, snowbak said:

I understand people hate waiting but it is no different in our countries for other immigrants doing the same thing. As for the rules well we have those too in out countries just go with the flow and CHIVE ON..

I am so sorry.  I didn't realise immigrants in the Uk had to report to an immigration office every 90 days to tell them where they live.  Especially an office sometimes a hundred miles away for some people.  Nor give immigration endless copies of the same paperwork they have already given them literally dozens of times over the years.

4 hours ago, somo said:

KK waiting times vary a lot. I just had a 2 hour wait for a 90 day report and there were only 10 others waiting. It would help if they had a desk dealing with easy stuff like 90 day reports and stamping pre-approved marriage extensions. These things take a few minutes to do yet sometime you have to wait 2 or 3 hours for them. Delegation of jobs would speed things up for many people.

Alternatively do like the OP and get there before anyone else. It is a proven way to be at the front of the queue. 

With 90 day report always contact the woman at the information desk in the back (as soon as she is there).

She will usually put your passport to one of the desks.

A 30 second job done alongside.

And in general: do your report via postal mail! (also referring to previous post).

Cost you about 80 Baht and a one time visit to your post office.

Some people seem uninformed assuming they have to send the passport.

Only photocopies! See respecting threads for details.

I often advertised the report via internet.

It worked fine the first four times.

Then two fails (waiting too long).

It's too erratic, so I will fall back to postal mail.

With that I can reduce my immi visits to once per year.

I went to KK for my 90 day report yesterday. I went in the afternoon because I thought there would be less people. I was wrong. I drew number 67 and the officers were only up to number 34. However, I noticed the lady at Desk 3 seemed to be dealing with a 90 day request and asked if I could drop mine off too. She agreed and 5 minutes later I was out of there. 

drew number 67 and the officers were only up to number 34.

What a crowded mess KK has become!

Looking forward to my extension in less than two weeks ;)

Just repeating: use postal mail for 90 day report.

Edited by KhunBENQ