US warship fires warning shots at Iranian boats

webfact

US warship fires warning shots at Iranian boats

By LOLITA C. BALDOR

WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. Navy ship fired three warning shots in the direction of an Iranian boat that was approaching another American ship head-on in the North Arabian Gulf on Wednesday, U.S. officials said, in an escalation of encounters in the region this week.

According to U.S. Navy Cmdr. Bill Urban, the Iranian boat came within 200 yards of the USS Tempest and ignored several bridge-to-bridge radio calls and warning flares. It finally turned away after the USS Squall, which was with the USS Tempest, fired three warning shots from its .50-caliber gun, said Urban, a spokesman for the Navy's 5th Fleet.

"This situation presented a drastically increased risk of collision, and the Iranian vessel refused to safely maneuver in accordance with internationally recognized maritime rules of the road," said Urban.

The incident was one of three encounters that U.S. ships had with Iranian Revolutionary Guard boats in the Gulf on Wednesday. And they came a day after four small Iranian boats approached the USS Nitze at high speed in the Strait of Hormuz. The boats veered off after the U.S. fired flares.

The same Iranian boat that harassed the USS Tempest also crossed in front of the USS Stout three times at a high rate of speed on Wednesday in the same region. Urban called it an "unsafe intercept" and said the USS Stout, a guided missile destroyer, had to maneuver to avoid a collision.

In the third incident, three Iranian boats crossed in front of the USS Tempest at high speed, coming within 600 yards of the ship. The Tempest and the Squall are patrol ships.

Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook acknowledged the three incidents Thursday, but said he did not have details. He said the U.S. ships are conducting themselves in a safe and professional manner and they will continue to take whatever steps they need to protect themselves.

Video of the incident involving the USS Nitze shows American sailors firing flares and sounding the warship's horn as the Iranian boats approached. A sailor can be heard saying that the weapons on the Iranian boats were "uncovered, manned."

Iran's defense minister said Thursday that his naval forces will warn or confront any foreign ship entering the country's territorial waters.

The semi-official Tasnim news agency quoted Gen. Hosein Dehghan as saying that "if any foreign vessel enters our waters, we warn them, and if it's an invasion, we confront." He added that Iranian boats patrol to monitor traffic and foreign vessels in its territorial waters.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-26

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comments on this:

http://thediplomat.com/2015/05/a-rebuttal-to-overreaction-in-the-strait-of-hormuz/

I. Transit Passage Was Part of the Bargain   Dr. Valencia correctly states “there was no ‘transit passage regime’ before it was stipulated and detailed in the Convention,” thus suggesting there is no customary right to transiting international straits outside the regime of innocent passage. At its core, UNCLOS was intended to preserve freedom of the seas. Transit passage emerged as a compromise between strait bordering nations (who sought to secure coastal rights) and maritime states (who sought to secure freedom of transit through internationally recognized straits). As part of this bargain, UNCLOS extended territorial waters from three nautical miles to twelve nautical miles. The Strait of Hormuz is only twenty-one nautical miles wide at its narrowest point, and, therefore, fully within Omani and Iranian territorial waters. But prior to the extension of the territorial seas, a high seas corridor existed for centuries where ships could transit without entering Omani or Iranian territorial waters.

UNCLOS, or any other international agreement, should not be viewed to restrict this right. Strait bordering nations could either acquiesce to the transit passage regime or retain three nautical mile territorial seas, as Japan has done in some instances. What is not an option is restricting freedom of navigation for any vessel – whether the flag state of the vessel is a party to UNCLOS or not.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

What? how come they didn't surrender to the Iranians, taken prisoners and made a mockery for the whole world to see? have they grew a pair of balls when we were not looking?.....

Wasted opportunity to give them some hostages that need expensive rescuing.  With better preparation Obama surely could have donated another 400m to the his mates the Iranian mullahs and their mates the islamic state.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

What? how come they didn't surrender to the Iranians, taken prisoners and made a mockery for the whole world to see? have they grew a pair of balls when we were not looking?.....

Damned if you do, damned if you don't! :lol:

what, they don't wanna partee with stuff like our USA oil money printing privilege? trillions of global bank reserves and pension funds kept in US Treasury debt? although it's a good trick though if ya think about it for a sec. hey, dudes, we own the world! you should pretend that it ain't but hey, don't challenge it. we pay a lot of money for total global military supremacy. I mean, borrow our own money back (haha you caught me!) can't we all just get along?

Edited by maewang99

3 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

what, they don't like our oil money printing privilege?  hey, we own the world! go USA! oil for Treasury debt and lots of goodies bought with US dollars is the way of the world. can't we all just get along?

You are aware of the consequences of Iran closing down this stretch of water?  I think you'd be singing a different tune then.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/05/iran-warns-close-strait-hormuz-160504090814909.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/8995261/Can-Iran-close-down-the-Strait-of-Hormuz.html

The free and uninterrupted passage of trade through this narrow passage of water is comparable to the importance of the English Channel in sustaining the prosperity of Europe, a status that is enshrined in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. On average, 14 crude oil tankers pass through the Strait each day carrying an estimated 17 million barrels, more than a third of the world’s seaborne oil shipments. In addition, it has become a vital conduit for tankers carrying liquefied natural gas from states such as Qatar, as the Western economies become ever more dependent on gas for their energy needs.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.:lol:

30 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Umm...maybe you should do a bit more research on the relations the US has with SA now.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/22/why-americas-special-relationship-with-saudi-arabia-is-on-the-rocks/

I doubt there are few countries around the world that don't pay respects to this nation.  They are the world's oil superpower.  Tough relationship to negotiate when your country needs oil.  Iran adds another complexity, especially to SA.

Well, the US needs a lot of changes that's why its so so reliant on foreign oil these days. Things have to change. It's int he best interest of the US to let those nations in the middle east rot including Israel. If Americans want to defend Israel or Saudi Arabia or Kuwait or Iraq, they should pack up their things and move there.

57 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You are aware of the consequences of Iran closing down this stretch of water?  I think you'd be singing a different tune then.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/05/iran-warns-close-strait-hormuz-160504090814909.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/8995261/Can-Iran-close-down-the-Strait-of-Hormuz.html

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.:lol:

Good links!  Thanks!  Oh, I have just seen your next link.  That's helpful as well. 

By the way, I think this also explains the Saudi bombings in Yemen and as well as perhaps the elevated concern at the Strait of Hormuz.  If I understand the situation correctly, one Saudi pipeline runs through Yemen to the Indian Ocean to a Yemeni port town called al-Mukalla, which I understand the Saudis have not bombed. 

Another Saudi pipeline runs to the Red Sea.  This one is relevant to the bombings due to the Bab al-Mandab Strait, which is in between the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean.  It is a choke point dominated by Yemeni territory. 

I have just found the link below, and it provides some interesting insights into the oil pipeline geopolitics of the Saudis. It also provides maps showing the Saudi pipelines, which are also relevant to the Syrian conflict.

http://atimes.com/2016/06/saudi-arabia-and-turkeys-pipeline-wars-in-yemen-and-syria/

5 minutes ago, Alive said:

Well, the US needs a lot of changes that's why its so so reliant on foreign oil these days. Things have to change. It's int he best interest of the US to let those nations in the middle east rot including Israel. If Americans want to defend Israel or Saudi Arabia or Kuwait or Iraq, they should pack up their things and move there.

Again, research is a good thing:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/12/news/economy/iea-oil-outlook/?iid=EL

The United States will knock off Saudi Arabia as the world's top energy producer by 2015, but its power as a global energy force will fade over the next decade, according to a report from the International Energy Agency.

The US is more concerned about the global implications a disruption in oil shipments would have.  The impact would hurt every country. US included.

The US only gets about 7-8% of its oil from the Middle East these days and could very easily ramp up its own production again. I think we should cut diplomatic relations with the Saudis for (a) driving frackers out of business, (2) funding their disgusting Wahhabi sect throughout the world, disrupting formerly moderate believers like those in Bosnia and (3) repeated deliberate bombings of hospitals in Yemen and (4) just for being arrogant (expletives deleted) and (5) for 15 of the 9/11 hijackers being Saudi nationals.

Edited by Dustdevil

3 hours ago, Alive said:

Trapped in a time warp?  Psssst.  It's 2016.  U.S. no longer dependent on ME oil.   Total foreign petroleum product imports are now at their lowest levels since 1970.   In FACT, that's one theory behind today's low oil prices - S. Arabia trying desperately to drive American domestic producers out of the market.   Your political bandwagon jumping is way out-of-date.   So Americans will be just fine at home, thanks.  Lol.

27 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

So much BS politicking here from backpacker-level intellects.

Before this I never heard of any correlation between backpackiing and intellect.  To me, this seems like the observation of someone with a backpacker intellect...oh wait...

Edited by ilostmypassword

36 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Trapped in a time warp?  Psssst.  It's 2016.  U.S. no longer dependent on ME oil.   Total foreign petroleum product imports are now at their lowest levels since 1970.   In FACT, that's one theory behind today's low oil prices - S. Arabia trying desperately to drive American domestic producers out of the market.   Your political bandwagon jumping is way out-of-date.   So Americans will be just fine at home, thanks.  Lol.

Great news. I didn't say it was. it was some other person who did. I wasn't sure. I thought it might be but I didn't have that evidence. As for the 'politics' what are you talking about???  Pull the war machine out of the middle east now! Let those people have their own indigenous homelands. The US only causes problems in those nations. It's also got to dump Israel. Let Israel stand or fall on its own merit. We don't need AIPAC or any other foreign groups on our soil.

4 hours ago, Alive said:

Just like white cops going through a black neighborhood. The white cops support the beheading regime of Saudi Arabia which so many members heartfully love here. The US should pack up and return to the other side of the world, their home.

And stop defending the country you came from

1 minute ago, Alive said:

Great news. I didn't say it was. it was some other person who did. I wasn't sure. I thought it might be but I didn't have that evidence. As for the 'politics' what are you talking about???  Pull the war machine out of the middle east now! Let those people have their own indigenous homelands. The US only causes problems in those nations. It's also got to dump Israel. Let Israel stand or fall on its own merit. We don't need AIPAC or any other foreign groups on our soil.

Yes you did:

Well, the US needs a lot of changes that's why its so so reliant on foreign oil these days.

You can't blame the US for everything bad that happens in the world, though you seem to try.  Many foreign countries are messing around in others territories in the ME.  The worst offenders are Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Israel is off topic.

There is only one language the Iranians understand, which is the use of superior force, or the credible threat to use it. The current U.S presidency has lost all credibility with respect to deterrence. This is why rogue states are busy testing just how much they can get away with.

4 hours ago, helpisgood said:

By the way, I think this also explains the Saudi bombings in Yemen and as well as perhaps the elevated concern at the Strait of Hormuz.  If I understand the situation correctly, one Saudi pipeline runs through Yemen to the Indian Ocean to a Yemeni port town called al-Mukalla, which I understand the Saudis have not bombed. 

no fairy tales please! there's no pipeline from Saudi Arabia to any Yemeni port.

US Navy has pulled the trigger in the Strait of Hormuz area in the past, more than once, all the while knowing fully well the craft are Iranian.

This time it was a .50 caliber machine gun which was more than enough to do the trick against the Iranian boats. (Three shots would mean three bursts of fire.) 

BREAKING: US Navy Fires on Ship in Persian Gulf, One Dead ...

US Navy photo

CCP Dynasty of Dictators in Beijing are watching the US reactions against Iran as CCP continues to have its plans for the South China Sea/Asean and the East Sea/Japan. When and why does the USN pull the trigger and which trigger does it pull...or triggers. Flares, bullets or bombs.

Please, no conspiracy theory posts, stay on topic and abide by forum rules:

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

The US only gets about 7-8% of its oil from the Middle East these days and could very easily ramp up its own production again. I think we should cut diplomatic relations with the Saudis for (a) driving frackers out of business, (2) funding their disgusting Wahhabi sect throughout the world, disrupting formerly moderate believers like those in Bosnia and (3) repeated deliberate bombings of hospitals in Yemen and (4) just for being arrogant (expletives deleted) and (5) for 15 of the 9/11 hijackers being Saudi nationals.

The Saudi funding of extremist Islam schools and the direct connection to terrorism is complicated and in most cases actually non-existent.  The terrorists,  though using the same terminology, turn out in many cases to be not connected to the schools.  The Saudis are taking steps, albeit small ones, to turn it down a bit.

A very good read on the history and current situation in the NYT. The headline says it well:

Saudis and Extremism : Both the Arsonist and the Firefighter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-islam.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Cutting diplomatic ties is not the answer and would only make the situation worse. Continued pressure on Saudi Arabia  to cut funding and identify radical imans, along with aid to non Arab muslim countries to educate their population in their own cultural version of Islam to counter the Arab version will work much better.

TH  

7 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Don't fire warning shots, sink them.

Naaah. Too much paperwork to report the incident. Sinking a foreign vessel in international waters requires additional, pesky forms to fill out.

An on-the-deck pass directly over the boats at near the speed of sound by an F/A 18 should be sufficient.

Edited by MaxYakov

You American boys have to realise that you can't solve all your issues, with the many countries against you, with force and violence. The Chinese , courtesy of course with American dollars, are slowly and quietly and without any force getting a chunk of Africa and some of S America on it's side.

This is, IMHO, where the real battle lies.

Yep....they (US Navy) should blow a boat or two out of the water when it comes within 200m.....let the Iranians know this publicly and then fire. 

But even then expect consequences!