1 dead, at least two injured in Belgium in accidental blast

webfact

1 dead, at least two injured in Belgium in accidental blast

CHIMAY, Belgium (AP) — One person was killed and at least two injured in Belgium in an accidental explosion at a sports center near the French border.

A Belgian Crisis Center staffer said early Friday that "the information that I have is that it due to an accident, probably gas. There is no link to terrorism or anything like that." The staffer could not be named under the center's rules.

Belgian state radio RTBF said the blast happened in the town of Chimay, 120 kilometers (75 miles) south of the capital Brussels just after midnight. It quoted local rescue services as saying a number of people had been in the building at the time.

Several dozen police and firefighters were on the scene and the area had been cordoned off, but the damage was not as serious as initially feared. Windows were blown out of the two-story building, and one corner of the structure was badly damaged but there was no major collapse.

It was not known if anyone was still in the building.

Chimay has a population of about 10,000 and is known for one of Belgium's most famous breweries.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-26

I have no idea what caused this explosion or what it is linked to.

This is what really amazes me

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

There is no link to terrorism or anything like that." The staffer could not be named under the center's rules

Why is there a constant need to throw this into every article when very little or no facts are actually known.

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Sports centre close to the French border.

People inside sports centre after midnight.

Was it being used to house migrants by chance ?

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Who said irony was dead?

Why is there a constant need to throw this into every article when very little or no facts are actually known.

No irony in my post.

What facts did you ascertain from the OP ?

Edited by SgtRock

2 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

No irony in my post.

Other than the irrefutable aspects detailed, and the hypothesis made by the person from the crisis centre, there is little else to go on. The speculation in your subsequent post is exactly that - baseless and unwarranted.

16 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I wonder how many TV regulars' hearts sank when they read the word, 'accidental'.

Mine did, because they ruled out terrorism before any investigation was carried out at all. Belgian authorities have ZERO credibility after releasing asinine comments such as that.

7 minutes ago, jaidam said:

Mine did, because they ruled out terrorism before any investigation was carried out at all. Belgian authorities have ZERO credibility after releasing asinine comments such as that.

Whereas TV 'experts' are far closer to the facts when they shout "immigration fueled islamic terrorism" at the drop of a hat?

Edited by RuamRudy

28 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Other than the irrefutable aspects detailed, and the hypothesis made by the person from the crisis centre, there is little else to go on. The speculation in your subsequent post is exactly that - baseless and unwarranted.

Would you mind detailing what speculation I made comment on ?

If you are referring to this

This is 3 things that are taken directly from the OP. There is nothing baseless and unwarranted about highlighting and asking questions which are taken directly from the OP.

If you feel differently, report my posts, pretty certain that if a moderator agrees with you the posts will be removed.

Just for the benefit of any doubt.

Prior terrorist activity has been well documented on the French / Belgian border.

I do not know of many sports centres that are open after midnight, especially in a town of 10,000 people.

Prior, well documented examples of sports centres being used as housing for migrants across Europe.

There is nothing baseless or unwarranted on anything I have posted in this thread.

Just a pity that you cannot differentiate between genuine questions and speculation.

At this moment in time, the only irrefutable aspects detailed in the OP is that has been an explosion in a Belgian sports centre close to the French border and that 1 person has died and a further 2 have been injured.

If you know different, from the info given in the OP, now would be a good time to list it. You get the added bonus that if you can prove me wrong, this will be my last post in this thread.

Edited by SgtRock

1 hour ago, SgtRock said:

If you know different, from the info given in the OP, now would be a good time to list it. You get the added bonus that if you can prove me wrong, this will be my last post in this thread.

Despite the incredibly tempting bonus you are proposing, I know nothing other than the facts stated in the article so I will not speculate either way.

25 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Despite the incredibly tempting bonus you are proposing, I know nothing other than the facts stated in the article so I will not speculate either way.

I never write a cheque my body cannot cash

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Small update,

One of the so called irrefutable aspects has been refuted.

An explosion has destroyed half of a sports centre in Belgium, with reports at least one person has died and four have been injured, two seriously.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/26/belgium-explosion-chimay-sports-centre-collapses-fatal

Casualty count has now raised to 4.

Edited by SgtRock

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I wonder how many TV regulars' hearts sank when they read the word, 'accidental'.

6 hours ago, jaidam said:

I wonder what question the crisis centre staff member quoted in the OP was asked; possibly "What caused this explosion; was it terrorism?"

In the current high state of alert across Europe, it is not surprising that terrorism is considered in any incident of this type. Indeed, the authorities would be failing in their duty were they not to do so.

Sgt.Rock's Guardian link

Chimay police chief Pierre Maton said early on Friday that the blast was most likely “a gas explosion,” but an investigation into the cause was ongoing. There was no indication of it being a militant attack, officials said.

So the incident is being investigated and there are no indication of it being a terrorist attack, but that has not been ruled out yet.

Edited by 7by7

2 hours ago, SgtRock said:

Small update,

One of the so called irrefutable aspects has been refuted.

An explosion has destroyed half of a sports centre in Belgium, with reports at least one person has died and four have been injured, two seriously.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/26/belgium-explosion-chimay-sports-centre-collapses-fatal

Casualty count has now raised to 4.

From the OP

One person was killed and at least two injured in Belgium in an accidental explosion at a sports center near the French border.

Do you understand what "at least" means? Apparently not.

Had you not then posted "One of the so called irrefutable aspects has been refuted." your comment above would be valid.

But you did, so it isn't.

The number of casualties was not an irrefutable fact; as the use of the phrase 'at least' shows.

9 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Had you not then posted "One of the so called irrefutable aspects has been refuted." your comment above would be valid.

But you did, so it isn't.

The number of casualties was not an irrefutable fact; as the use of the phrase 'at least' shows.

So help me out here.

What are the irrefutable aspects ( note the plural ) that your fellow apologist mentions ?

There is only one irrefutable fact in the OP. 

There was some type of explosion at a sports centre in Belgium.

You mistake me for someone else if you think I give a flying whether you think my comments are valid or not.

^^^^^^

pram toys out of.

7 hours ago, SgtRock said:

No irony in my post.

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The irrefutable aspects detailed in the report; which RuamRudy acknowledges, are, or were at the time, very few.

Surely you can read those reports your self?

Obviously, more information will emerge as the investigation continues.

Edited by 7by7

10 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

^^^^^^

pram toys out of.

The irrefutable aspects detailed in the report; which RuamRudy acknowledges, are, or were at the time, very few.

Surely you can read those reports your self?

Obviously, more information will emerge as the investigation continues.

Post 9 RR

Other than the irrefutable aspects detailed,

I have asked him and I asked you what these irrefutable facts ( Note the plural ) are.

No answer except whataboutery.

Do not attempt to respond to this post with out listing whatever irrefutable facts you think are in the OP and as per your assertion.

As you seem incapable of reading for yourself; 8 irrefutable facts directly quoted from the OP:

1) the blast happened in the town of Chimay, 120 kilometers (75 miles) south of the capital Brussels just after midnight

2) Several dozen police and firefighters were on the scene

3) the area had been cordoned off

4) the damage was not as serious as initially feared

5) Windows were blown out of the two-story building

6) one corner of the structure was badly damaged

7) there was no major collapse.

8) Chimay has a population of about 10,000 and is known for one of Belgium's most famous breweries (although this one has nothing to do with the accident itself.)

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

As you seem incapable of reading for yourself; 8 irrefutable facts directly quoted from the OP:

1) the blast happened in the town of Chimay, 120 kilometers (75 miles) south of the capital Brussels just after midnight

2) Several dozen police and firefighters were on the scene

3) the area had been cordoned off

4) the damage was not as serious as initially feared

5) Windows were blown out of the two-story building

6) one corner of the structure was badly damaged

7) there was no major collapse.

8) Chimay has a population of about 10,000 and is known for one of Belgium's most famous breweries (although this one has nothing to do with the accident itself.)

Excelled yourself with that one.

Already covered.

15 hours ago, SgtRock said:

There was some type of explosion at a sports centre in Belgium.

The 8 irrefutable facts that you list are all pertinent to the sports centre and its physical location.

Now explain from the 8 irrefutable facts that you have listed, how this claim can be made ?

23 hours ago, webfact said:

There is no link to terrorism or anything like that." The staffer could not be named under the center's rules.

So facts are still scare on this one. Again no names released to the media, no photographs or interviews with the injured. And what these 5 were doing in the middle of the night at a closed sports center? RT claimed yesterday that it was clearly a gas suicide by one of the 5, incredible how it was so clear at such an early stage. Going with logic and probability, authorities and medias subsequent behavior, i'm going to call this another religious attack. One of many around the world yesterday, but one of the only ones reported on. Interesting.

10 minutes ago, jaidam said:

So facts are still scare on this one. Again no names released to the media, no photographs or interviews with the injured. And what these 5 were doing in the middle of the night at a closed sports center? RT claimed yesterday that it was clearly a gas suicide by one of the 5, incredible how it was so clear at such an early stage. Going with logic and probability, authorities and medias subsequent behavior, i'm going to call this another religious attack. One of many around the world yesterday, but one of the only ones reported on. Interesting.

Have a break, have a tin foil hat

7 minutes ago, jaidam said:

I made some of those observations in my opening post.

It has been reported in the media that the sports centre was not serviced by mains gas and that gas containers were found close to the seat of the explosion.

This is where it becomes interesting, the conflicting information

The building is not supplied with gas by the city," the mayor said. "Gas bottles were found at the site, but for now, we do not have evidence to determine the cause of the accident."

http://www.businessinsider.com/belgium-chimay-explosion-sports-center-2016-8

Better wording might be Religious own Goal, rather than Religious attack. The Sports Centre was probably a base and not the target.

SgtRock,

You asked for the irrefutable facts; I gave them to you.

The cause is not yet an irrefutable fact. The full quote from the spokesperson is

A Belgian Crisis Center staffer said early Friday that "the information that I have is that it due to an accident, probably gas. There is no link to terrorism or anything like that."

I have highlighted the part which shows that this is not an irrefutable fact, only supposition based upon the information at the time.

The actual cause is not yet known, only suspected. All the news reports say that investigations are proceeding. Police spokespeople, as in the Guardian report you linked to, say that whilst terrorism is unlikely it hasn't been ruled out. When the investigation is finished the actual cause will, hopefully, be known. I say 'hopefully because not all such investigations can reach a definite conclusion as to the cause.

Unlike you, I and those you label my 'fellow apologists' prefer to base our opinions on known facts rather than make the facts up to suit our opinions as you are very prone to do.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:09 AM, SgtRock said:

<snip>

This is 3 things that are taken directly from the OP. There is nothing baseless and unwarranted about highlighting and asking questions which are taken directly from the OP.

Yes, it is close to the French border. So what? Are you saying that Belgians living close to the French border shouldn't be allowed leisure facilities? Maybe you believe that accidents are impossible in this area so every incident, large or small, must be terror related?

Sports centres have staff, some of whose work cannot be carried out whilst the centre is open to the public so they work at night; cleaners, maintenance mainly. From what I have been able to ascertain, but it's not from an official source so may be wrong, the centre closes at 9pm. Add 30 to 60 minutes to that in order to allow all the public to shower, change and leave before work starts. So it should be no surprise to the rational that maintenance workers, even cleaners, are still working there at the time of the explosion; just after midnight.

Not "taken directly from the OP" at all. Pure speculation on your part with absolutely no evidence to back it up. Simply a pathetic attempt by you to blame this on Muslim terrorists. If the centre was being used to house migrants, then this would have been mentioned in at least some of the reports and it isn't.

Edited by 7by7
To show to whom the plost is addressed.

7 hours ago, jaidam said:

See my post above for the rational reasons for there being people inside a sports centre after midnight.

I repeat:

Sports centres have staff, some of whose work cannot be carried out whilst the centre is open to the public so they work at night; cleaners, maintenance mainly. From what I have been able to ascertain, but it's not from an official source so may be wrong, the centre closes at 9pm. Add 30 to 60 minutes to that in order to allow all the public to shower, change and leave before work starts. So it should be no surprise to the rational that maintenance workers, even cleaners, are still working there at the time of the explosion; just after midnight.

Although RT says the killed and injured were members of a running club. It is common practice, certainly in England, for sports centres to hire their facilities out to clubs etc. after they have closed. But I cannot find this claim in any other report. (Edit; see below)

I can find no reports, on RT or anywhere else, saying that it was "clearly a gas suicide" by anyone. Link, please.

Edited by 7by7