Tot Adsl Problems ?

friend2

I am one of TOT's adsl subscribers.

I've been having (and my whole neigbourhood) problems using the service for the last 6 days.

The line sporadically disconnects every minute or so.

Contacting TOT's help desk (1100), haven't improved anything.

This despite the fact that it has been 6 days already from when I first contacted

them about this.

From what I understand, this is a nation wide problem.

I'm so fed up with this crap.

So, if you are also having these problems, please contact either the 1100 (press 9 for English)

and inform them.

You can also go to the ADSL section of TOT's forum, here, and weather your frustrations:

http://www.tot.co.th/tot/board/bb2_v1/viewforum.php?f=10

It's all in Thai, but that doesn't matter, just click the "Post new" button, and of you go.

Here's my thread if you're interested:

http://www.tot.co.th/tot/board/bb2_v1/viewtopic.php?t=11236

Edited by friend2

Today is day number 7 and still my internet is a no go :o

Gees man, great service this.

I already called TOT about a refund, their sending the matter further.

Sounded like they were actually going to consider it,(maybe i'm dreaming).

Seems people mostly in south are affected by this.

Either way, 7 days with non-working internet is un acceptable,

no matter how big a problem.(short of the Shin sat being bombarded with meteors)

I had the same problem here in Phuket - 19 days with the ADSL link down. Called everyday, was told it was down nationwide and finally someone gave me the number of a technician. He turned up switched the modem and I was back online in 5 minutes. Keep the pressure on and don't believe their lame excuses.

I hear you friend...I had the service installed last month (Suphanburi in central Thailand) and was without internet for 3 days. This month no internet for 2 days. In each case the service went down on a Sunday and was not restored until later on in the week...makes me think that the lazy shits only bother to check the operation of their server about twice per week...

I've found that the 1100 helpline folks are courteous and try to help but I suspect that they have limitations as in there ain't enough maintenance staff to take care of problems when they arise.

Might as well be living in Africa...Vietnam, which is a much poorer country has a remarkably efficient, fast ADSL service with high availability...in 6 months of living there never cut off once. I guess the communists got something over the likes of Thaksin and his stinkin' free market enterprises...

Today is day number 7 and still my internet is a no go :o

Gees man, great service this.

I already called TOT about a refund, their sending the matter further.

Sounded like they were actually going to consider it,(maybe i'm dreaming).

Seems people mostly in south are affected by this.

Either way, 7 days with non-working internet is un acceptable,

no matter how big a problem.(short of the Shin sat being bombarded with meteors)

It's not a nation-wide problem. It's been working fine here in the north.

The service was down sometime last week for 1 1/2 days but it's been working as normal for a while now.

I've found that the 1100 helpline folks are courteous and try to help but I suspect that they have limitations as in there ain't enough maintenance staff to take care of problems when they arise.

You probably hit the nail on the head with that comment.

Computer savvy thais are as rare as Panda bears.

You obviously need a whole bunch of them to maintain the technology infrastructure here.

Perhaps not directly related to this, but Electricity and water supply are interrupted

just as often as my internet is.

At least where I live.

When I asked one electrical company engineer, if it's a good idea to plant trees under the

electrical wires, he replied: No

So then how comes the forrestry department is doing it ?

He replied: we have no control over that, it's a "kings project".

Hence our electricity goes out every now and then when the tree branches

short out somewhere.

Ha ha :o

it's all downhill in Lala land :D

I think I could write a good comic book about my experiences of living here :D

Edited by friend2

I made a point of seeking out the local ADSL guys at the TOT office where i pay my bill.

Introduced myself and got a couple of contact numbers off them for future reference.

I,ve used them a couple of times when they needed to do a house visit. ( very good and no charges )

On other occasions when there has been a local problem they gave me details as to why and appox how long it would be down.

The service / attention is always first class. ( touch wood as they say )

I stay in the Udon area when i,m in Thailand by the way but where ever you are visit the local office and bypass the help line. :o

In my humble opinion.

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Stopped to pay the internet bill three months ago (CAT Hinet Phuket) last month they disconnected me and all what they do is send me the montly invoices.

Nobody there gives a shit if I complain. faxed my logs full with disconnections the whole day , speed drops to 96 Kbs in daytime (should be 2000 kbs).

They blame TT&T, and if you call 1103, the call center is often unreachable, try to speak an technician who hangs up on me but I stay always very polite.

Ok am back with dialup again.

TIT

Have you inspected the telephone wire from outside your home to your computer ?

I also had problems as adsl is just attached to the ol' cable at home.

I took the trouble to check the wire from outside into my living room.

Guess what ?

At least three signs on the wire of mouse bites which almost severed the wire .

Now I intend to run a quality cable from the box outside my house right to the computer.

I bet the speed will rise exponentially....and no more probs.

Amazing but never though to check the cable before. An old oxidised bitten cable...how it worked in the fitst place is a miracle.

I already have my cables replaced a long time ago.

(back in the dial-up times). Doing that improved the speed alot.

I've re-routed everything with TOT's outside cable, but inside.

(The black wires you see hanging in front of your house).

The quality of these wires are outstanding, and the signal 100%

distort free.

However, the problem I had described in my posts above, were not related to this,( my whole neighbourhood affected).

Still today, i'm being struck with these occasional disconnects...

I am on dial up at the moment too, and I have asked all those in my moo baan who have TOT adsl and everyone has been down since Friday night.

We have all been calling the support desk as many times a day as we can to try to get them to do something, but all they tell us is that the local TOT office has a problem and they are working on it, one young lady told me wait because it is the weekend and tuesday (today) is the King's Birthday so no technicians will be in until atleast wednesday, so it should get fixed on wednesday.

Time to look at alternatives.

We all have coax running to our houses, any possibilities there?

i just got TOT internet installed here in chiang mai. problem i have is weird. i get connected at blazing speeds for like 15 minutes or max 30 minutes. then the connection dies off and impossible to re-connect again. try re-installing the softwares/drivers and still no luck. then i come back home in the evening, it runs again well for about 15 minutes. then dies off.

DSL is connected.

Internet is not connected.

anyone has the same problems?

I got it right now typing this message.

Have to hurry up before the modem disconnects again.

Has been like this "on and off" for about 3 weeks now.

Sometimes it's good, sometimes not.

Telephoning TOT support is more or less useless.

I telephoned again today.

The reply was:

"we didn't know there was a problem at your number"

Ya, right.

It's also affecting my neighbour, so problem/s is definitively at their end.

I'm starting to get used to "No ploblem" :o

Tigerbeer,

I had a simular problem, the telephone worked also the Adsl would work for a while and drop out, it took the tech quite a while to find the problem, it turned out it was a bad connection where the black wire came to the house and joined to the white wire that run's into the house.

Have a quick look you can do that yourself.

Tigerbeer,

I had a simular problem, the telephone worked also the Adsl would work for a while and drop out, it took the tech quite a while to find the problem, it turned out it was a bad connection where the black wire came to the house and joined to the white wire that run's into the house.

John1, thanks for the tip. thats a good start. cause it doesnt make sense to me. played with all the configurations etc. but to no success. will report back tomorrow to see if this works or not. i better get some spare accesories for the line just in case before going back home today.

Tigerbeer,

John1, thanks for the tip. thats a good start. cause it doesnt make sense to me. played with all the configurations etc. but to no success. will report back tomorrow to see if this works or not. i better get some spare accesories for the line just in case before going back home today.

nope didnt work. well at least i got the wires redone. a little touch on it and it split on its own. spoke to TOT and they would be sending a technician to come around the house. seems like it boils down to two reasons: 1. WAN problem. affecting the whole area. 2. the modem.

Watch out of you are checking the wires to the house.

They carry 48V and will bite, if you touch both!! :o

There is usually a lightning protector inside the little box where the wires come in.

Bad contacts here can also cause problems.

I have finally got them to send someone around, when that will be is anyones guess. I have tried three different modems with no luck, so it is not me although the latest support girl I spoke to says the signal is fine.

Dontcha hate dial up?

I just changed Tot ADSL from 1000/512 to 256/128 kbs and...it goes faster here in Na Jomtien :D

Especially between 8 and 17 and during week ends

And as I suspected ,the impossibility of sending a mail through Outlook Express was due to Tot

They changed their smtp code.Before it was smtp5.totonline.net

Now it is smtp-adsl.totonline.net

And for sure these suckers didn't give notice to their customers :D:o:D