Driver of Chinese tour bus in Patong Hill crash fined, set free

rooster59

Driver of Chinese tour bus in Patong Hill crash fined, set free

Chanida Summast

1472209965_1-org.jpg

The driver of the Chinese tour bus that crashed at the bottom of Patogn Hill on Monday night has been fined and set free. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: The driver of the Chinese tour bus that crashed at the bottom of Patong Hill on Monday night (Aug 22) has been charged with driving an unsafe vehicle, Patong Police Chief Col Chaiwat Uikum confirmed today (Aug 26).

The bus was carrying more than 30 Chinese tourist when it crashed while descending Patong Hill. All victims of the accident were taken to Patong Hospital, but no serious injuries were reported from the incident. (See story here.)

“The driver has been fined and free to go after questioning,” Col Chaiwat told The Phuket News today.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/driver-of-chinese-tour-bus-in-patong-hill-crash-fined-set-free-58853.php#7WAEq9kM8vcpEEYJ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-08-27

Another publicity coup for the BIB   !

The Pol Col acting as spokesperson couldn't even remember the driver's name,    gives the idea that the issue wasn't taken too seriously.

No details of the fine imposed so was it so minor they didn't want to make it public   ?

There's got to be at least 1,000 buses here in Phuket now. 
So many, everywhere. 

I'm surprised there are not more accidents like this. 
Especially when I see the black smoke pouring out of their exhausts. 

Reminds me of the rumor I heard that the Bangkok police are fining those pollute the air so bad. 
So, they are shipping the worst ones down south. 

If they don't want to change the air filters and clean the injectors, why would they check the brakes?

Could be the drivers fault. 
But I'm betting on the stingy owners.

Edited by fiddlehead

In a country where busses constructed, build and maintained in mostly unauthorized

back yard operations with complete disregards for and engineering and safety standards,

there is no wonder that busses keeps rolling over or involved in horrific road accidents,

many busses and other public transportation vehicles are running around loaded with

passengers where they're really nothing more than a death traps and an accidents

waiting to happened...... 

•  

The bus driver is probably new to this route. He possibly he lost control of his vehicle while descending the hill, which meant he could not slow down or maybe the bus’s brakes failed.

Member's total reputation

From the original story.....failure to brake vs. brake failure.

7 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

There's got to be at least 1,000 buses here in Phuket now. 
So many, everywhere. 

I'm surprised there are not more accidents like this. 
Especially when I see the black smoke pouring out of their exhausts. 

Reminds me of the rumor I heard that the Bangkok police are fining those pollute the air so bad. 
So, they are shipping the worst ones down south. 

If they don't want to change the air filters and clean the injectors, why would they check the brakes?

Could be the drivers fault. 
But I'm betting on the stingy owners.

a suggestion would be to require all commercial vehicles to undergo regular safety check ups and carry out necessary maintenance before renewing their registration.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 6:58 PM, SOTIRIOS said:

...only the victims (tourists) are Chinese....so what is with the headline....???

The bus is Chinese brand "Wenostop".

Edited by Shot

On 8/27/2016 at 2:00 PM, sahibji said:

a suggestion would be to require all commercial vehicles to undergo regular safety check ups and carry out necessary maintenance before renewing their registration.

As long as the culture of corruption that permeates Thai society is permitted and accepted, no amount of regulation will improve the situation. Vehicles can pass inspection and drivers licenses can be obtained simply by the transfer of baht.