Bolivian politician 'beaten and tortured to death' by striking miners

rooster59

Bolivian politician 'beaten and tortured to death' by striking miners

606x341_342252.jpg

A Bolivian politician has been abducted and beaten to death by striking mineworkers.

Deputy Interior Minister Rodolfo Illanes had gone to mediate with protesters in a bitter dispute over mining laws.

Bolivia’s defence minister broke down on television as he described how his colleague had apparently been “beaten and tortured to death.”

The vast majority of miners in Bolivia work in cooperatives and scrape a living producing silver, tin and zinc.

Protesters have been demanding greater union representation and the right to work for private companies.

The National Federation of Mining Cooperatives of Bolivia (FENCOMIN), once strong allies of leftist President Evo Morales, began what they said would be an indefinite protest after negotiations over mining legislation failed.

Demonstrations turned violent this week after negotiations over mining legislation failed. At least two workers were killed after shots were fired by police. Several officers were injured during clashes.

The government was was trying to recover Illanes’s body.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-27

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

A tragedy for the deceased man's family and a tragedy for workers' rights - you don't achieve acknowledgement and recognition of your cause through murder.

Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness ring any bells with you ?

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Are you suggesting that the IRA's tactics were the right ones?

Are you really that dense ?

43 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

you don't achieve acknowledgement and recognition of your cause through murder.

I merely pointed out 2 people who contradict the above quote.

31 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Are you really that dense ?

I merely pointed out 2 people who contradict the above quote.

Has the IRA's stated aim of a united and independent Ireland come to pass?

The Good Friday Agreement may have provided a compromise to both sides to halt the violence, but other than allowing two former IRA members to coat themselves in a thin veneer of respectability and call themselves statesmen, the IRA has not accomplished its aims and I would suggest that it has not garnered popular support amongst the British people.

However now that Adams and McGuinness are part of a formal political dialogue, maybe they can work towards a solution that is more agreeable to all sides - without the violence.

Nonetheless, the above is OT.

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Has the IRA's stated aim of a united and independent Ireland come to pass?

The Good Friday Agreement may have provided a compromise to both sides to halt the violence, but other than allowing two former IRA members to coat themselves in a thin veneer of respectability and call themselves statesmen, the IRA has not accomplished its aims and I would suggest that it has not garnered popular support amongst the British people.

However now that Adams and McGuinness are part of a formal political dialogue, maybe they can work towards a solution that is more agreeable to all sides - without the violence.

Nonetheless, the above is OT.

Thank you for that. It was totally unnecessary.

Not only was it not necessary, it highlighted your problem again.

I did not mention the IRA, you did.

23 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Power to the people.

The World is in serious need of a reset. 

Reform or revolution, whatever it takes. It is time for the pendulum to swing back the other way.

Bernie 2016!!!

I agree that there needs to be a radical shift in power nearer to the centre, but murder should not be not the way to achieve this.

5 hours ago, SgtRock said:

Sad, but not surprising.

Maybe one Politicians will learn to listen to the people that they are supposed to represent.

Does anyone see a similarity between this and the US election campaign and Brexit. People are fed up with lying sniveling corrupt politicians. Bastille day replay storming the bulwarks of political skulduggery. Politicians have now come out of their tortoise shell of corruption and well heads are rolling. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Does anyone see a similarity between this and the US election campaign and Brexit. People are fed up with lying sniveling corrupt politicians. Bastille day replay storming the bulwarks of political skulduggery. Politicians have now come out of their tortoise shell of corruption and well heads are rolling. 

I thought that the European Membership opinion poll was organised and managed by politicians, who will themselves decide what happens.

Doublethink to believe that Trump is not a de-facto politician.  His "schtick" was to claim that he wasn't one, that he was one of "you".

Smoke and mirrors in both cases.

Edited by Enoon

You can only push the common folk so far before they will take extreme measures to take back what is rightfully theirs. It seems all the rich nations are putting their working class into poverty these days.  You may now be better off a slave than working for minimum wage in America, at least you wouldn't have to worry about all the bills and how you will get your next meal. You rich people don't want to face the people who's children you are starving. Maybe a bit off topic as I don't know but I suspect Bolivia is not a rich country.

Unfortunately, this particular politician was actually trying to do something about a serious problem.  His death will only increase the danger for all involved.

Sad day when those looking for a solution are attacked and killed in such a way.

Making Bolivia off my bucket-list.

12 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I agree that there needs to be a radical shift in power nearer to the centre, but murder should not be not the way to achieve this.

Yes and pimples are a disgusting way of ridding the body of poisons