Police ‘have been preparing’ for reform, says deputy Thai police chief

webfact

Police ‘have been preparing’ for reform, says deputy police chief

po.jpg

BANGKOK, 29 August 2016 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Police has been preparing organizational reform according to the new constitution, and is currently awaiting for the establishment of an inspection committee by the government, says deputy police chief. 

Royal Thai Police Deputy Commissioner-General Pongsapat Pongcharoen has said regarding the new constitution which calls for the reform of the police organization, that the Royal Thai Police has been preparing for this matter. 

He said the police have been upholding the organization to the contents in the new constitution, regarding the reform of police in 10 areas, and that protocols have been established to accommodate these 10 aspects of reform. Despite the constitution not coming into effect as of yet, the police commissioner-general has urged all police to pursue reformation according to the constitution. 

The new constitution also calls for the establishment of a committee by the Cabinet to oversee organizational reform of the police. This committee is expected to be announced after the promulgation of the charter, the deputy commissioner-general has said.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-29

I'm sure that they have been  as busy as beavers! So much to be hidden, investments to be realised or protected, deals to be cut and so on; before the reformers (new boys on the block) "reform" their ways of operating.

I have certain knowledge of one bar on Silom Soi 4 in Bangkok that will be unnamed here.  When the coup occurred, there was one month when the police did not collect "tea money".  Only one month.  They still pay every month, and we'll see if this so called reform effort results in any positive changes in this sort of bribery.

Edited by JimG
improved English

36 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'm sure that they have been  as busy as beavers! So much to be hidden, investments to be realised or protected, deals to be cut and so on; before the reformers (new boys on the block) "reform" their ways of operating.

hammer.jpg~c200

4 hours ago, Plutojames88 said:

No one sees changes ahead.

Total propaganda .

i would not be so sure.  the reform is not about getting rid of corruption and actually getting the cops to do their job. it is about the army taking control of the police  who side with the reds. police are the last part of thailand  the army needs to conquer.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The new constitution also calls for the establishment of a committee by the Cabinet to oversee organizational reform of the police.

Aaah, there is a committee involved...., now you can forget about it, foggedaboudid!

Colinneil.

Impossible to reform corruption,without a mass clear out.

Notice from head office of the Thai Authorities to.....well..err..everybody really.

Please take note, that as of the 1st of January 2560/2017.The Royal Thai Police force will cease to exist,as we are dismissing the entire force,including all officers,from the very top to the rank and file,including those in desk jobs and inactive posts. We will be closed for 24/48 hours while we organise  a completely new force of officers.

This will include new top Major generals and all other Senior ranks.

After we have carried out the investiture of these officers,the next 47 hours will be spent teaching m/c police and all other ground troops how to write tickets on the spot and learning from memory the reasons for not giving receipts.We plan to have a fully active,non corrupt police force in action by the third of january 2560/2017.

Warning.

Now ,we are not stupid,and we know what all you criminal types are thinking.So we are issuing a further warning.

Further warning.

As of 12 am (in the hours of darkness) 31.1.2559/2016.

All criminal acts will cease.There will be no,killings,robbings,falling from balconies,Atm scams or any offences of any kind committed,In Thailand.We expect our citizens to respect and obey this order because of your love for your country,culture and prime minister.

Any one caught flouting this order will be arrested for direct disobedience of an order and the normal fine of 500 baht and a slap on the wrist will be raised to 600 baht and a slap on both wrists. We know that as you are all loyal Thai subjects,you will respect the fact that for a few hours,Thailand will be totally without law and order,and that no self respecting Thai would take advantage of this situation.Of course we cannot rely on the Ferangs,or other foreigners to have the same sense of loyalty,so we will wait a couple of days before posting arrest warrants.Although these warrants will be late in printing,a problem will not arise,as we know who they are.And To quote one of our previous top officers " no Thai could do this."

We thank you for your attention to this notification.

No signature is necessary as i dont

want my name on this notification,if anything goes wrong.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Police are preparing for reform:cheesy::cheesy:.

The only way forward is clear them all out and start again.

Impossible to reform such a corrupt organisation without a mass clear out.

Wake me up when the reforms start. 

Signed

Rip Van Winkle

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

prepare for a power struggle as the army tries to take over the police who are mostly made up from esan recruits. hope this does not get messy.

I think it is the other way around the army is made up of mostly Issan recruits. The police usually recruit locally. It helps with their "business" relations with local businessman. The number one requirement being you have to be able to recognize a brown envelope by its color. Color blind need not apply. 

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I think it is the other way around the army is made up of mostly Issan recruits. The police usually recruit locally. It helps with their "business" relations with local businessman. The number one requirement being you have to be able to recognize a brown envelope by its color. Color blind need not apply. 

i had some problems that ended up with me being locked up in the na jomtien police cells. i managed to get out and a couple of the high up coppers actually became my customers. they got good discounts at my business so i did not make much money from them but i also did not end up in their cells again. i had quite a few discussions with them about the color they prefer and they all said red. this is why thaksin continued to hold a very high police ranking and why he was allowed bail despite being an extreme flight risk.

Just now, williamgeorgeallen said:

i had some problems that ended up with me being locked up in the na jomtien police cells. i managed to get out and a couple of the high up coppers actually became my customers. they got good discounts at my business so i did not make much money from them but i also did not end up in their cells again. i had quite a few discussions with them about the color they prefer and they all said red. this is why thaksin continued to hold a very high police ranking and why he was allowed bail despite being an extreme flight risk.

Yes your correct in that. It is something Mr. Prayuth is well aware of and fears. They is why the army has become the police's symbiotic other. They constantly watch each other. Any police reform will be met with stiff resistance. 

Reform would be welcome if the farce (force) would end this-----EXAMPLE.....last week driving from Udon highway 2--to Laos,  in 40 kilometers there were 4 road blocks/checks,       this could only be for cash---receipt or not.     Who sends all these fines to BKK treasury  ??  to be used on highways---schools-hospitals.

Reform by having more time taking care of the people.

Reform by housing 1 policeman in every village--head village, to protect, and discourage anti social habits.

I'll believe the police (and military and civil service) are reformed when I see:

1.  Full transparency in spending and finances.

2.  Broad conflict of interest laws effectively enforced.

3.  Routine financial disclosures from everyone in a position of any responsibility in order to identify conflicts of interest and unexplained wealth.

4.  Elimination of "defamation laws" that protect the corrupt.  Currently news organizations face harsh retaliation if they report on public servants who have lives of wealth and luxury far beyond what their salaries can afford.  No action is taken against inexplicably wealthy police, military or civil servants.

Of course none of the above will take place.  What's the point of being a humble public servant if you can't become extremely wealthy?

"The new constitution also calls for the establishment of a committee by the Cabinet to oversee organizational reform of the police"

Organizational reform, so there will be no digging into bank accounts, or looking for unusually rich cops, or cops on the take, or cops controlling gambling, prostitution etc. Just yet another dithering committee that will meet now and again then quietly disappear.

16 minutes ago, Hawk said:

"The new constitution also calls for the establishment of a committee by the Cabinet to oversee organizational reform of the police"

Organizational reform, so there will be no digging into bank accounts, or looking for unusually rich cops, or cops on the take, or cops controlling gambling, prostitution etc. Just yet another dithering committee that will meet now and again then quietly disappear.

The so-called "reform of the police" is just part of a broad package of reforms in various fields listed under Chapter 16 of the Constitution "...in accordance with the law on National Reform Plan and Strategy...". These fields include: Politics; Administration of State Affairs; Legislation; Judicial Process; Education; Economy; and something called Other Aspects.

It would appear the said police reform is to be covered under Section 258, D., Justice Process (4) :

Enforce law efficiently by revising the laws pertaining to duties, powers, and missions of the police to be more appropriate and the laws concerned with personnel administration of police officials to be more efficient, and clear guarantees for all police officials of proper remuneration and fairness in the appointment, transfer, and consideration of merit allowance according to the moral system, with due attention given to seniority and competence in the appointment and transfer to enable police officials to perform their duties in a free, independent of any person, and effective manner and with pride of performing duties.

While Section 260 identifies who will make up the committee:

For the purpose of revising laws according to Section 258, D., Justice Process (4), there shall be a committee appointed by the Council of Ministers and consisting of:

(1) one qualified person with apparent knowledge, honesty and fairness, and who has never served as a police official, as the Chairperson;

(2) persons, in the number as specified by the Council of Ministers, who are or have in the past served as police officials, which must include at least the Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police, as the members;
(3) qualified persons, in the number equal to (2), with apparent knowledge, honesty and fairness, and who have never served as police official, as the members;
(4) Finance Permanent Secretary, Interior Permanent Secretary, Justice Permanent Secretary, Secretary-General of the Office of the Courts of Justice and Attorney General, as the members.

The Committee under Paragraph One shall complete the revision of laws within one year as from the date of promulgation of the Constitution.

Upon expiration of the period required under Paragraph Two, if the revision of laws has not completed, the reshuffle of police officials shall be based upon the seniority in accordance with the Rules as prescribed by the Council of Ministers and published in the Government Gazette.

So, as shown in Section 260, (2), Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda becomes a committee member, and we could also see a return appearance by the previous Police Chief Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang too! On top of that, from Section 260, (4) we've also got a number of senior bureaucrats on the committee too.

All in all, as Hawk notes, this committee have got a year to make things "quietly disappear"!