It's up to the person who's leasing it to you.

The limit is a 30 year usufruct. Google 'Thailand usufruct' for lots of information. Ignore anything about guaranteed renewal on these 30 year leases - if they say that it's a lie.

On 30/08/2016 at 5:52 PM, ukrules said:

It's up to the person who's leasing it to you.

The limit is a 30 year usufruct. Google 'Thailand usufruct' for lots of information. Ignore anything about guaranteed renewal on these 30 year leases - if they say that it's a lie.

Agreed, except, an usufruct can be for life, it is not limited to 30 years.

The minimum lease is 3 years to get it entered in the land paper. There is no such thing as 3+3 or 30+30. That's basically a scam without any protection. Max for lease is 30 years, for usufruct 30 years or lifetime. Shorter is always possible,

21 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

Chiang mai is spot on.It can be different only to on the other side of the road if that is a another district.If you get 30 years or life.

One smal detail you maybe should know is that to lease from youre wife is imposible.

Agreed also, plus, an usufruct with a wife is very unsafe, it can be cancelled on divorce.

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Agreed also, plus, an usufruct with a wife is very unsafe, it can be cancelled on divorce.

I thought it was cancelled if you lease from a girlfriend first and marry her.I have a life lease myself and there is no way Im getting married.

Thats the only way to avoid a divorce. :)

1 minute ago, Odin Norway said:

I thought it was cancelled if you lease from a girlfriend first and marry her.I have a life lease myself and there is no way Im getting married.

Thats the only way to avoid a divorce. :)

I'm pretty sure that would be safe, it's only where the  usufruct is written between man and wife where a problem occurs.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Or if you ever need to sell the lease, as selling the lease requires the landowner to sign off the transfer at land registry - and I assume the same applies to a usufruct?

I learned this (re. leases) the hard way.....

Thats the hole point of a lease without marrige first.You are in full control.Even if you are married you only control half ,and the land can be sold under youre feet.

I know many will say that should not happen,but it is happening to a friend of mine right now so it is posible.It seems easy for a wife to rob you from youre 50%.Specialy if she gets you for having someone on the side.

Ofcourse you need a co-sign from the owner to sell a lease.It is the owners land in the first place.But the owner can not sell it with a lease on it eaither.

Well it can in theori be sold but can not be used for anything before youre lease run out or you die.Who want to buy land they can not use for anything.

Thats the reason I did a lease insted of marrige.

2 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

Thats the hole point of a lease without marrige first.You are in full control.Even if you are married you only control half ,and the land can be sold under youre feet.

I know many will say that should not happen,but it is happening to a friend of mine right now so it is posible.It seems easy for a wife to rob you from youre 50%.Specialy if she gets you for having someone on the side.

Ofcourse you need a co-sign from the owner to sell a lease.It is the owners land in the first place.But the owner can not sell it with a lease on it eaither.

Well it can in theori be sold but can not be used for anything before youre lease run out or you die.Who want to buy land they can not use for anything.

Thats the reason I did a lease insted of marrige.

You're missing the point.

I bought a lease intending to build a house on the land (long story) and there were no Thais involved.

It came as a horrible suprise to discover that I couldn't sell the lease without the land owner (not a Thai) signing the transfer at Land Registry.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're missing the point.

I bought a lease intending to build a house on the land (long story) and there were no Thais involved.

It came as a horrible suprise to discover that I couldn't sell the lease without the land owner (not a Thai) signing the transfer at Land Registry.

Sorry for my missunderstanding then.

Sounds strange to me if you could buy a land-lease with no thais involved.Maybe from a company with a foreign owner then.I thought it was imposible to transfer a lease to another person in the first place.