Venturing to Mexico, Trump defends right to build huge wall 

webfact

Venturing to Mexico, Trump defends right to build huge wall 
STEVE PEOPLES, Associated Press
CHRISTOPHER SHERMAN, Associated Press

MEXICO CITY (AP) — On Mexican soil for the first time as the Republican presidential nominee, a firm but measured Donald Trump defended the right of the United States to build a massive border wall along its southern flank, standing up for the centerpiece of his immigration plan in a country where he is widely despised.

Trump, who previously derided Mexico as a source of rapists and criminals, praised Mexicans Wednesday as "amazing people" following a closed-door meeting at the official residence of the country's president, Enrique Pena Nieto. Trump and the Mexican president, who has compared the New York billionaire to Adolf Hitler, addressed reporters from adjacent lecterns before a Mexican flag.

The trip, 10 weeks before America's presidential Election Day, came just hours before Trumpwas to deliver a highly anticipated speech in Arizona about illegal immigration. That has been a defining issue of his presidential campaign, but also one on which he's appeared to waver in recent days.

With political risks high for both men, Trump stayed on script, declining to repeat his promise to force Mexico to pay for a wall along the border between the two countries when pressed by reporters.

While he and Pena Nieto talked about the wall, Trump said they didn't discuss who would pay for a cost of construction pegged in the billions.

"Having a secure border is a sovereign right and mutually beneficial," Trump said, reading from prepared remarks. "We recognize and respect the right of any country to build a physical barrier or wall on any of its borders to stop the illegal movement of people, drugs and weapons. Cooperation toward achieving this shared objective — and it will be shared — of safety for all citizens is paramount to both the United States and to Mexico."

Trump's presence on Wednesday, his first meeting with a head of state abroad as a presidential candidate, sparked anger and protests across Mexico's capital city. Former Mexican President Vicente Fox bluntly told the celebrity businessman that, despite Pena Nieto's hospitality, he was not welcome.

"We don't like him. We don't want him. We reject his visit," Fox said on CNN, calling the trip a "political stunt."

Pena Nieto was less combative as he addressed reporters alongside Trump. He acknowledged the two men had differences and defended the contribution of Mexicans working in the United States, but he described the conversation as "open and constructive." He and Trump shook hands as the session ended.

Pena Nieto's performance came in for immediate condemnation from his many critics in Mexico.

"Pena ended up forgiving Trump when he didn't even ask for an apology," said Esteban Illades, the editor of Nexos magazine. "The lowest point of the most painful day in the history of the Mexican presidency."

After saying during his Republican primary campaign he would use a "deportation force" to expel all of the estimated 11 million people living in the United States illegally, Trump suggested last week he could soften that stance.

But he still says he plans to build a huge wall — paid for by Mexico — along the two nations' border. He is under pressure to clarify just where he stands in the Wednesday night speech, which had been rescheduled several times.

Trump's running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, told CBS earlier in the day that Trump would make clear "that there will be no path to legalization, no path to citizenship. People will need to leave the country to be able to obtain legal status or obtain citizenship."

The buildup to the speech was abruptly interrupted Tuesday night by the news that Trumpwould visit Mexico, accepting on short notice an invitation offered last week by Pena Nieto. The newspaper El Universal wrote in an editorial that Trump "caught Mexican diplomats off guard."

Campaigning in Ohio earlier in the day, Democrat Hillary Clinton jabbed at Trump's Mexican appearance as she promoted her own experience working with foreign leaders as the nation's chief diplomat.

"People have to get to know that they can count on you, that you won't say one thing one day and something totally different the next," she told the American Legion in Cincinnati. "And it certainly takes more than trying to make up for a year of insults and insinuations by dropping in on our neighbors for a few hours and then flying home again."

Trump has promised, if elected, to deport millions of immigrants who are in the United States illegally, force Mexico to pay for the construction of a wall to secure the nearly 2,000-mile border and renegotiate the NAFTA trade agreement to make it more favorable to the United States.

Pena Nieto suggested there was room to improve the trade deal, which Trump described as unfair to American workers. The New York businessman promised to promote trade deals that would keep jobs in the Western Hemisphere.

Pena Nieto made his invitation to both Trump and Clinton, who met with him in Mexico in 2014. The inclusion of Trump puzzled many in Mexico, who said it wasn't clear why their own unpopular president would agree to meet with someone so widely disliked in his country.

Pena Nieto has been sharply critical of Trump's immigration policies, particularly the Republican's plans to build a wall and have Mexico pay for it. In a March interview, he said that "there is no scenario" under which Mexico would do so and compared Trump's language to that of dictators Hitler and Benito Mussolini.

Pena Nieto did not repeat such criticism on Wednesday, but acknowledged Trump's comments had "hurt and affected Mexicans."

"The Mexicans deserve everyone's respect," he said.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-01

"Trump's presence on Wednesday, his first meeting with a head of state abroad as a presidential candidate, sparked anger and protests across Mexico's capital city. Former Mexican President Vicente Fox bluntly told the celebrity businessman that, despite Pena Nieto's hospitality, he was not welcome"

And this from the guy who has turned a blind eye to the Drug Cartels for years?

His opinion is less than worthless.  :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, The stuttering parrot said:

It's over Donald. Instead of wasting more time and money on your failure of a campaign why don't you just quit and anymore money that you would wasted on advertising etc just donate to a deserving  charity.

His favorite (and just about only) charity is himself. This publicity stunt was all part of his TV reality star, unpredictable, deal-maker persona that he hopes to capitalize on post-election loss. Look for him at a TV network near you soon. Nieto is suffering in popularity and wanted to show his electorate that he will call Trump on the carpet to stop saying nasty things about his country and people.

1 hour ago, The stuttering parrot said:

It's over Donald. Instead of wasting more time and money on your failure of a campaign why don't you just quit and anymore money that you would wasted on advertising etc just donate to a deserving  charity.

You wish! I understand your worry that he the best chance to win the election. I say get used to it cause it won't be long now......"President elect Donald Trump" .  Kinda rolls sweetly of the tongue don't it?

Good job Trump! 

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

His favorite (and just about only) charity is himself. This publicity stunt was all part of his TV reality star, unpredictable, deal-maker persona that he hopes to capitalize on post-election loss. Look for him at a TV network near you soon. Nieto is suffering in popularity and wanted to show his electorate that he will call Trump on the carpet to stop saying nasty things about his country and people.

So much difference to the Clinton's...whose only charitable contributions were to their own slush fund, the Clinton Foundation. :whistling:

What the heck?

Trump traveled to Mexico simply because he was invited?

That boy has so much to learn. A trip like that would never be made by the Clintons until several million dollars (not pesos) were "contributed" to the Clinton Foundation.

Hillarys time is going to cost you more than a dime!

3 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Look the wall is a symbol.  It can be built with a surcharge on funds from anyone transferring remittances from the US to Mexico.  Practically, of course, there are better ways to use the money.  In the first place, instead of a wall, I would immediately turn people back at the border, make workplace raids on people who overstayed visas also result in immediate deportation, and most important of all, I would RICO every person living and working in the US illegally and institute asset forfeiture proceedings, making sure they didn't leave the US with any of their ill gotten gains.

Just now, klauskunkel said:

Aren't they using tunnels?

They are using tunnels because walls and fences work to prevent overland crossings. 

It takes alot of effort and money to have to resort to tunnels so fences continue to serve their function of lowering crossings. 

"They are using tunnels because walls and fences work to prevent overland crossings. 

It takes a lot of effort and money to have to resort to tunnels so fences continue to serve their function of lowering crossings. "

If what you say is true, why does the US need a wall?

Don't get mad, it's just my opinion!:D

2 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

"They are using tunnels because walls and fences work to prevent overland crossings. 

It takes a lot of effort and money to have to resort to tunnels so fences continue to serve their function of lowering crossings. "

If what you say is true, why does the US need a wall?

Don't get mad, it's just my opinion!:D

OK...I won't get mad  :D

I think "wall" has a nice ring to it for a showman like Trump who likes to convey that he does thing BIG. 

from what ai have seen of the existing fences, they can be damaged with a bit of effort enough to allow in foot traffic...so in those areas where fencing is in place maybe a beefed up fence of solid wall material would help. Ofcourse, a wall is much more expensove than a fence. 

I suppose there would be some cost offset by the fewer number of border patrol along a wall than a fence which would offset cost somewhat? 

I never expect a wall to be built along the entire border but maybe as an extension on the ends of the existing fencing...extending it further from roadways or communities?

Right now our borders appear to be wuite porous. Trumps is mostly just highlighting that with by "branding" the concept into a single identifiable symbol--a WALL, as near as I can figure.

2 hours ago, Usernames said:

Look the wall is a symbol.  It can be built with a surcharge on funds from anyone transferring remittances from the US to Mexico.  Practically, of course, there are better ways to use the money.  In the first place, instead of a wall, I would immediately turn people back at the border, make workplace raids on people who overstayed visas also result in immediate deportation, and most important of all, I would RICO every person living and working in the US illegally and institute asset forfeiture proceedings, making sure they didn't leave the US with any of their ill gotten gains.

There is a large menu of measures that can be done, some of which you have outlined. The wall is a stupid, unworkable idea, and no, it is not just a symbol, Trump used it to win the primaries with his constituency. I don't think his supporters consider it a symbol. They want this kind of action.  As far as RICO - :wacko:  And, yes, I understand RICO laws as well as anyone on this forum.

It makes me laugh seeing all these idiots at Trump rallies cheering him on when he keeps talking about the bad Mexicans taking jobs and driving wages down.

Are they *really* that stupid?

Or are they just what you call "Low Information Voters"?

:rolleyes:

Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club and Jupiter Golf Club have filed documents to bring in as many as 78 foreign workers for the next fiscal year. In total, records filed at the U.S. Department of Labor and reviewed by CNN reveal that in the last 15 years, Donald Trump's various businesses have been granted approval to import at least 1,256 foreign guest workers.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/28/news/donald-trump-foreign-workers/

CNN purchased several Trump brand items online including a $16.95 dress shirt made in Bangladesh, a $166.88 pinstripe suit made in Indonesia, and even a dollar-shaped tie clip made in China bought for $24.
Shipping documents obtained by CNN show that in 2014 Trump shirts were shipped to the U.S. from a factory in Honduras, where nationally the average factory worker earns about $1.30 an hour. Even that hourly wage may have been too high for Trump's licensed manufacturer. The Honduran factory's contract ended in 2015. 
That same year, shipping forms obtained by CNN show Trump shirts were being manufactured and shipped from Bangladesh, where the average factory worker makes just 33 cents an hour, according to Nova.

That same year, shipping forms obtained by CNN show Trump shirts were being manufactured and shipped from Bangladesh, where the average factory worker makes just 33 cents an hour, according to Nova. CNN cannot determine if the people making Trump's clothing were paid a different amount or the conditions they were working under.

Well you sure put me in abad spot for this because answering makes me one of those idiots you mention BUT mexicans do bring epwages down. 

I pay the same amount for farm help as I did 20 years ago.

I pay the same amount for construction labor as I did 30 years ago.

Returning from Mexico, Trump just gave his most extreme immigration speech yet. It was praised by David Duke, former Imperial Wizard of the KKK, and called almost perfect by Jarod Taylor, prominent white nationalist. 

I'm sure the Trump supporters on here love it too. 

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Well you sure put me in abad spot for this because answering makes me one of those idiots you mention BUT mexicans do bring epwages down. 

No comment required really.

Classic, badly uttered,Trump joke:

"I expressed that to the United States and in -- that of the United States, that we must take action to stem this tremendous outflow of jobs from our country."

Be great if it started with himself.

:cheesy:

5 hours ago, Usernames said:

Trump and his fanboys don't do metaphors. Trump's wall is going to be a physical construct of bricks and mortar. This has been repeatedly confirmed by Trump and his surrogates. So your attempt to 'walk back' this lunacy is not going anywhere.

Your bright idea of levying remittances has been around long before Trump came on the scene. Right Wing websites and thought-control centers have been pushing this silliness for years. Put a tax on remittances and watch what happens. Right wing racists think that poor Latino and minority workers in the US are as stupid as they are. Revenues will stop. Hawala schemes will proliferate. Phone cards and other non financial instruments will become surrogate money.

And to top it off, taxing remittances is not the same as Mexico paying for the Wall. Just more spin.

Your Taliban style immigration policy would contribute to the economic weakness of the United States. The OECD and Oxford and many other studies demonstrate that immigration provides a net benefit to the host economy. Your dislike of brown people and their oppression would do damage to the US economy as well las its reputation for Human Rights, such as it is.

https://www.oecd.org/migration/mig/OECD Migration Policy Debates Numero 2.pdf

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/election-2015-briefing-fiscal-impacts-of-migration-to-the-uk/

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Your predatory employment practices are reasons why workers need to unionize. 

Differences between union and nonunion compensation, 2001–2011 

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2013/04/art2full.pdf

8 hours ago, bassman said:

So much difference to the Clinton's...whose only charitable contributions were to their own slush fund, the Clinton Foundation. :whistling:

And how many people's lives did you save or benefit this week?

Come back when you have something real. The Clinton Foundation has helped multitudes and is part of the legacy of one of the most respected Presidents of recent time. Why is it that only Democrat Presidents continue to contribute to US and global society after their terms are finished. Carter and Clinton put the nasty, selfish former Republican Presidents to shame.

2 minutes ago, PTC said:

And how many people's lives did you save or benefit this week?

Come back when you have something real. The Clinton Foundation has helped multitudes and is part of the legacy of one of the most respected Presidents of recent time. Why is it that only Democrat Presidents continue to contribute to US and global society after their terms are finished. Carter and Clinton put the nasty, selfish former Republican Presidents to shame.

I didn't know I was the subject of the OP?  Maybe you need new glasses.

5 minutes ago, bassman said:

I didn't know I was the subject of the OP?  Maybe you need new glasses.

You made yourself the subject with your off topic garbage about the Clinton Foundation on a Trump thread. What, don't know how to play the game?

Here’s Trump’s plan for combating illegal immigration, boiled down to its simplest elements:

1. Build the wall

2. End catch and release policy for undocumented immigrants and instead return them to their country of origin

3. Have zero tolerance for undocumented immigrants who have committed a crime. He will deport them.

4. Triple number of deportation officers at the department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

5. Repeal President Obama’s executive orders that temporarily protected undocumented immigrants from deportation and authorized them to receive work permit

6. Stop issuing visas to any country where “adequate screening cannot occur” that might endanger national security;.

7. Ensure foreign countries take back deported immigrants from the United States: Mr. Trump said 23 countries refuse to do so

8. Complete a biometric entry and exit visa tracking system under development. “It will be on land, it will be on sea, it will be in the air,” he said.

• A memorable passage from this speech: “Our message to the world will be this: You cannot obtain legal status or become a citizen of the United States by illegally entering our country. Can’t do it. This declaration alone will stop the crisis of illegal crossing. You can’t just smuggle in, hunker down and wait to be legalized. Those days are over.”

/donald-trump-mexico.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

Now, what on earth is wrong with those 8 very valid points we ask?  :facepalm:

It will take much more than going into the heart of illegal immigration country and telling them he is going to build that dad gum wall and yes the Mexicans are going to pay for it, to get him elected after all the gaffs and foot-in-mouth moments.

Score one for Donald:  Trump - 1    Mexico - 0 

So Trump bounded onto the stage at Phoenix to address the throng, let's not mention that the venue was half empty.  "On my first day in office I will deport 2 million immigrants.  I know I said 11 million but I was only joking about that!"

It's so embarrassing now but that just makes it so much funnier.