Municipality tax, Patong

I am a leaseholder of a 2yr old condo in Patong and yesturday I received an email from the developer who has retained some units for rent and is the chanote title holder. He is requesting I pay backdated municipality taxes of approx $25000THB. ($5000 first year & $19500 second year). Does anybody have input about this fee and are you paying the same, more or less? I thought the yearly strata fees covered all taxes except utilities.

Depends if it is in your lease document, a clause that says "tennant pays taxes". Usually it is in a commercial lease, a shop, a resturant etc.

Not so common in a residential lease.

Edited by Peterw42

Exactly what tax is it? I suspect it is called Par See Rong Ruan. This is a local tax payable by the property owner on rental income to the district office.

This is not a tax a tenant has to pay unless you volunteered yourself in your contract.

If you don't pay, nothing happens to you as it is not your liability. 

Let the developer know you know and see what they say then.

On 9/1/2016 at 2:23 PM, juehoe said:

It is not as scam. Every owner of a house or condo has to pay the property tax.

He is a leaseholder...not the owner. The owner is expecting him to pay his taxes for him

Edited by dotpoom

On 02/09/2016 at 9:53 PM, blackcab said:

Exactly what tax is it? I suspect it is called Par See Rong Ruan. This is a local tax payable by the property owner on rental income to the district office.

That sounds much more likely to me than some property tax imposed on all house and condo owners as was suggested. But when it comes to Phuket property I'm prepared to believe anything!