Renewing Thai drivers license in Chiang Mai

SpoliaOpima

I need to renew my 5-year drivers license in Chiang Mai. I've done it before in Chiang Mai 10 years ago, but my last renewal, 5 years ago, was in Bangkok, where they didn''t require proof of residence.

I understand that the CM Dept of Transport now requires residence proof. I have a yellow house registration book, but I left it in Bangkok. I do have color scans of the book with me on my laptop though, and could print them out and take with me to the Dept of Transport tomorrow. Has anyone with recent Chiang Mai drivers license renewal experience used a copy like that successfully?

My passport also shows a current work visa/extensions of stay, rather than a tourist visa. I was wondering whether that might suffice.

I don't want to wait and do it in Bangkok next week because as of this coming Monday my license will  have been expired more than one year, which means taking a test. 

Thanks for any advice.

You need to show the housebook, let someone send it over. Immigration does currently not issue residence certificates, which would be the other option. They wont accept scans.

What you could try is to go to your local amphoe and try if they can print out a confirmation of your housebook registration. This works for Thais as it is now all computerized, but I haven't ever seen or heard someone did this with a yellow one. May be worth the try, nothing to lose.

You can get the driver license in CNX with BKK address. If it has changed from the last time, there is a small fee for address change, but not an issue at all.

If you have a work visa you probably have a work permit, that will do also.

Edited by MadMac

Indeed, I was able to renew my license using the work permit as proof of residence. Unlike my house reg book, which lists my Chiang Mai address, the work permit lists Bangkok. Didn't make any difference. 

They probably would have accepted the house reg book scan, but when I initially showed the staff my passport, they asked what visa I had, and when I said work visa, they asked about the work permit so I handed it over. Never had to show the house reg scan.