Farangs In Thailand

Maigo6

Judging by many comments on this Forum and all other Thai related Forums, Farangs appear to think they are somewhat superior to Thai people.

Many seem to want Thailand to become more westernised, more like the country they once lived in, before they fled that very same country and moved to Thailand. Of course, there are certain things they would want to keep just as they are, like the cost of living etc.

And Farangs in Thailand are the minority and feel that everything is against them, it's a typical minority attitude. If a Farang gets stopped by the Police in Thailand, the Farang will complain, " I only got stopped because I'm a Farang, the fact that 300 Thai motorists were also stopped escapes his attention.

I don't want a long post, so I will sum up.......

In the UK there have been acts of violence against Asians ever since Asians came to the UK, for no other reason than they are Asian ( remember Paki bashing ? ). luckily in Thailand this is not the case against Farangs , yet!

The West Indians never suffered the same physical attacks because they are somewhat bigger and intimidate the white man, so the Asians who just wanted to keep themselves to themselves ended up bearing the brunt of these racial attacks, they were seen as an easy target.

Luckily for Farangs, Thai people don't have that attitude.

To all Farangs who keep complaining and wishing Thais would be more like the people in their own countries, be careful, you may just get what you wish for.

:o

Edited by Maigo6

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pakistani people are not Thai. That's a poor example. It sounds like you're reaching. Come up with some examples of Thais being abused if you can.

When Thais go to America they are helped in business, the complete opposite of what happens when Americans start a business here. They get low-interest loans too.

You can find examples of racism and xenophobia in every nation. To stereotype an entire nation by judging the acts of a few people is a sign of ignorance.

There are countless examples of blantant racism against foreigners here.

But I guess you overlook that through your racist eyes.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), we can't vote and so really don't have any say in how the country is run. In the end, I think the westernization is because many of the Thai people want it that way.

Development brings about change and much of the change that we see is not exactly "westernization" it has to do with urbanization and specialization. This happens to be the same course that the west has taken. As Thailand becomes a longer-lived nation and the population ages more, the young attitude of invinsibility changes and becomes more cautious. Laws about drinking, driving, partying, drugs, etc. become more restrictive.

Farang are overstating their importance if they think they are responsible for the changes--good or bad.

I'm sorry there are so many assumptions in this thread of yours that I have to bite my tongue.

May I ask, where do you live now and have you spent any real time in Thailand?

Just curious.

Casanundra, the poster prefaced his comments with this,

"Judging by many comments on this Forum and all other Thai related Forums, Farangs appear to think they are somewhat superior to Thai people."

Reading through many of the posts on this and other forums, I think we all have to somewhat agree with this!

To stereotype an entire nation by judging the acts of a few people is a sign of ignorance.

Exactly..................................... you will note that on many threads in this Forum and other Thai related Forums, all Thais appear to be judged by the actions of a few.

Farangs are truley ignorant in that way, thanks for pointing it out so well. :o

I'm sorry there are so many assumptions in this thread of yours that I have to bite my tongue.

Just curious.

Cass, read through the posts, judge for yourself the general theme and attitude. I am only observing and opinionating ( is that a word ? )..... :o

Thais can buy land in the United States, Americans can't buy land here.

Thais get into national parks in the United States for the exact same price and Americans. In fact, if someone was to charge a Thai any different from what they charged an American, that person would be in trouble with the law.

Whenever and wherever I go in Thailand, I'm called a foreigner. I find this offensive. If everyone in the US called every Thai that they see a foreigner, they'll be called racist.

The United States give a lot of money to Thailand. What does Thailand do for the United States?

The list goes on and on. This, as you see, is not a case of individuals, but of a nation.

I love Thailand, but that doesn't mean that I have to accept some of the cultural shortcomings... that is, if I actually have freedom of speech here. Do I?

Judging by many comments on this Forum and all other Thai related Forums, Farangs appear to think they are somewhat superior to Thai people.

I know alot of Thai peple that consider themselves superior to Ferangs

The United States give a lot of money to Thailand.

Why does the USA give alot of money to Thailand?

MM

Edited by mosquitoman

Many seem to want Thailand to become more westernised, more like the country they once lived in, before they fled that very same country and moved to Thailand. Of course, there are certain things they would want to keep just as they are, like the cost of living etc.

And Farangs in Thailand are the minority and feel that everything is against them, it's a typical minority attitude. If a Farang gets stopped by the Police in Thailand, the Farang will complain, " I only got stopped because I'm a Farang, the fact that 300 Thai motorists were also stopped escapes his attention.

I don't want a long post, so I will sum up.......

In the UK there have been acts of violence against Asians ever since Asians came to the UK, for no other reason than they are Asian ( remember Paki bashing ? ). luckily in Thailand this is not the case against Farangs , yet!

The West Indians never suffered the same physical attacks because they are somewhat bigger and intimidate the white man, so the Asians who just wanted to keep themselves to themselves ended up bearing the brunt of these racial attacks, they were seen as an easy target.

Luckily for Farangs, Thai people don't have that attitude.

To all Farangs who keep complaining and wishing Thais would be more like the people in their own countries, be careful, you may just get what you wish for.

This is a very interesting observation on your part Maigo6

However the people you speak about I would guess only mix with the lesser educated Thais..

we have a police check point outside our former office in Phuket..I used to watch the carry on some times and I would estimate less than 2% of the people stopped were farang..

Yes Thais are treated much better in OZ than I'm treated here by the Government departments, a

Thai are expected to become a citizen after 3 years and can buy land etc same as an OZ

person..Here in Thailand I cant..

However working in Thailand is possible setting up a company and paying tax is expected and rewarded if you do..

I think its mainly the people who try to short circuit the system who bleat the loudest..

I agree the double tier pricing is not acceptable at most tourist attractions..

As for the situation in the UK or USA I cant speak but the British Larger Louts are world renowned for their exploits..

Pakis are Muslim different religion, West Indies I think are Christian they seem to fit in better Thai are Buddhist very passive people, but like all races when the get drunk some go

a little crazy..

Bottom line if you don't like it Go Home..

Whenever and wherever I go in Thailand, I'm called a foreigner. I find this offensive.

I'd call you Farang, same as I am also Farang. I do not intend to offend you or myself in that statement, I am what I am, I'm Farang. :o

I love Thailand, but that doesn't mean that I have to accept some of the cultural shortcomings... that is, if I actually have freedom of speech here. Do I?

In Thailand? No. In the US or in Europe? Yes. And that's the difference. Human rights and freedom of speech.

If Thailand develops a kind of democracy including free press we can start to discuss other things.

Thais get into national parks in the United States for the exact same price and Americans. In fact, if someone was to charge a Thai any different from what they charged an American, that person would be in trouble with the law.

Whenever and wherever I go in Thailand, I'm called a foreigner. I find this offensive. If everyone in the US called every Thai that they see a foreigner, they'll be called racist.

The United States give a lot of money to Thailand. What does Thailand do for the United States?

The list goes on and on. This, as you see, is not a case of individuals, but of a nation.

An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life.

'A fight is going on inside me', he said to the boy. 'It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith'.

'The same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too.'

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, ' Which wolf will win?'.

The old Cherokee simply replied, 'The one you feed

Was there a point to starting this thread?? If there was I can't see it. I think your greatest observations are that

a) a lot of British people beat up Asians because they are smaller than them

:o having more education than a Thai person will only get you in trouble

Have I got that right??

Genius... why it's all so very clear now isn't it??

I'm still biting my tongue about the sweeping generalisations being made on this thread... :o

By whom ?

All I can see is observations of a general attitude from Farangs in internet Forums.

Many Farangs do come across in a superior manner, they do have the attitude that all Thais are dumb and bad drivers and all Thai men are lazy and drunk and all Thai women are.............well, you get the picture.

Of course, it's all total rubbish, but as a casual observer, I also get the same impression of superiority from many Farangs.

Excuse me, but why are Western people posting in this thread referring to each other as "farangs?"

If we were in Mexico, would we talk about ourselves as "gringos?"

Depending on your take on "superiority" over the local people, well.... Moot point. :o

You always have to watch what you wish for in Thailand; change the things that you hate here, and the things you love about the place will disappear too. :D

The good thing about living overseas, especially in such an exotic place as LOS, is that it gives you a unique perspective about your own culture, and historical / geographical factors that determine "culture."

Just curious.

From those ridiculous observations, I'd guess the OP lives in Pattaya or another tourist spot.

It's quite clear who has the racist view.

I'm curious to the OP's age?

i dont know what to say what a stupid thread!! gobsmacked!

Try hanging out with real normal Thai people and farang, instead of whores and whoremongers.

An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life.

'A fight is going on inside me', he said to the boy. 'It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith'.

'The same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too.'

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, ' Which wolf will win?'.

The old Cherokee simply replied, 'The one you feed

I like that :o

From those ridiculous observations, I'd guess the OP lives in Pattaya or another tourist spot.

It's quite clear who has the racist view.

I'm curious to the OP's age?

Try hanging out with real normal Thai people and farang, instead of whores and whoremongers.

Ridiculous observations, what ridiculous observations, they are very real observations.

The OP is reffering to the general attitudes shown by Farangs in internet forums.

What on earth would the OP's age have to do with Farangs general attitudes in forums?

How would the company he keeps change the attitudes of Farangs in internet forums ?

Enlighten me .... :o

Maigo, I don't really want to get into this, but you are misguided in your opinion.

Propotionally, (as a percentage of the population) white males in the UK are the least likely to commit racial atttacks, verbal or physical.

Stereotypes?

Please get it right.

Every race or culture seems to think that they are better than other cultures. Some farangs may think they are better than Thais just as many Thais think they are better than farangs.

It is part of the human condition i guess.

Forums generally will have topics where grievances are being aired and complaints being made that is just the nature of forums. We normally don't discuss what things went right today or how good things are going. Thes things just don't fire us up like a percieved injustice or something that has gone diabolically wrong.

The US used to give Thailand $20,000,000 dollars a year - a lot of money if you are one person, not much if you are a country.

Since the coup they have stopped that - so currently Thailand receives $0.00 from the US - not much in anyone's book.

Depending on your take on "superiority" over the local people, well.... Moot point. :o

You always have to watch what you wish for in Thailand; change the things that you hate here, and the things you love about the place will disappear too. :D

The good thing about living overseas, especially in such an exotic place as LOS, is that it gives you a unique perspective about your own culture, and historical / geographical factors that determine "culture."

Spot on there.

Unfortunately, some people are full of whines and gripes instead of savouring and appreciating differences and diversity. They must have forgotten that every group of people - society, community... - comes with a package.

In many ways, I don't think Thais would appreciate it if someone came into his "house" and start telling him how to run it. As a guest, Farangs should respect the host and if they should believe that some change should be made, they can do that tactfully without offending his host. You certainly don't spit on the plate you ate on and lick it back, do you?

If you fail to be thankful and contented in Thailand, you wouldn't be anywhere else in the world. No place/country is perfect. One just have to be grateful and stay where he feels is most acceptable to him.

Edited by roguegirl

Good summing up.

It's the same if you go to a forum which is mainly used by Westerners living in Japan, many of the posts are aimed at putting the Japanese down.

That's forum life............. :o

On the whole, I think farangs get a much worse deal (whether we're talking about the legal + immigration law side or the treatment they get from the locals they consider their family/friends) in the LOS than Thais get in most western countries -or at least comparing my own family's experiences both Thai and stateside-. It's not strange that many folks need to reassure themselves of their contribution/importance to their adopted families and country.