Motorbike Insurance

Bob1million

Bascially (may change with different companies)

1st Class - Everything (same as Comprehensive Insurance)

2nd Class - Same as 3rd Class but has fire and theft (does not usually cover your own  car in an accident)

3rd Class - life and injury of driver and passengers. Third party property damage and liability. Bail Bond.

http://www.aainsure.net/car_insurance_thailand.html

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What does the government insurance cover?

I do not own the m'bike I ride. Does the government insurance cover me as well as the owner?

Thanks

Only covers personal injury and death, it doesn't cover any property damage. Also doesn't cover Bail Bond.

For small bike covers you and other people: injury 50,000 baht per person; death or permanently cannot work 200k per person; dismemberment 200k; 200 Baht per day (max 20 days) for loss of income. Max overall payout 204K.

For big bike covers you and other people: injury 80,000 baht per person; death or permanently cannot work 300k per person; dismemberment 200k; 200 Baht per day (max 20 days) for loss of income. Max overall payout 204K.

On 2/9/2016 at 4:15 PM, taichiplanet said:

Bascially (may change with different companies)

1st Class - Everything (same as Comprehensive Insurance)

2nd Class - Same as 3rd Class but has fire and theft (does not usually cover your own  car in an accident)

3rd Class - life and injury of driver and passengers. Third party property damage and liability. Bail Bond.

http://www.aainsure.net/car_insurance_thailand.html

Are the amount of coverage for 3rd party property damage and liability usually the same across all 3 classes, or does it increase  with each class. Does 1st class usually cover 3rd party property damage and liability to a higher amount that 3rd party?

Also,

Is 3rd class the same as 1st class without fire, theft, and damage to your own vehicle?

Interest is mainly in Bail Bond, and coverage for 3rd party injury and 3rd party vehicle damage. It looks like 3rd Class Insurance covers these.

1 hour ago, DLang said:

Are the amount of coverage for 3rd party property damage and liability usually the same across all 3 classes, or does it increase  with each class. Does 1st class usually cover 3rd party property damage and liability to a higher amount that 3rd party?

Also,

Is 3rd class the same as 1st class without fire, theft, and damage to your own vehicle?

Interest is mainly in Bail Bond, and coverage for 3rd party injury and 3rd party vehicle damage. It looks like 3rd Class Insurance covers these.

The short answer is i am not really sure! It depends on the policy and insurance provider.

For Bail Bond comparing 3rd Class policies coverage can vary quite a lot, as does (obviously) the insurance premium. For me any Bail Bond below B200k is not enough; the higher the better.

Here is the break down of the 2 policies i have from AA Insurance Brokers to give an idea. As you can see, some of the 3rd Class amounts are larger than the 1st Class policy.

3rd Class: 125cc; 3rd Party Injury/Death over CTPL 500k/person 10 Mil/accident; 3rd Party Property Damage 1 Mil/accident; Personal Accident 50k/person (driver and passenger); Temporary Disability - No Cover; Medical Expenses 50k/person up to 2 people; Bail Bond 300k; Premium 2,800

1st Class: 300cc; 3rd Party Injury/Death over CTPL 300k/person 10 Mil/accident; 3rd Party Property Damage 600k/accident; Personal Accident 50k/person (driver and passenger); Temporary Disability - No Cover; Medical Expenses 50k/person; Bail Bond 1.5 Mil; Own Damage 140k (Deductible 10k); Theft & Fire 140k Premium 10,200

i think my 1st Class 3rd Party Property Damage is not enough, i just hope i don't run into a Lambo or Ferrari. Actually, i hope i don't run into anything!! :lol:

^ Thanks.

My main concern are Bail Bond and 3rd party vehicle and medical.

The 3 areas that open you up to extortion and financial nightmares.

My own private insurance is okay for me, and parts on Thai manufactured bikes are cheap.

2 hours ago, DLang said:

^ Thanks.

My main concern are Bail Bond and 3rd party vehicle and medical.

The 3 areas that open you up to extortion and financial nightmares.

My own private insurance is okay for me, and parts on Thai manufactured bikes are cheap.

i have the same concerns.

For medical you can also get a seperate Personal Accident Insurance, that will cover you for any accident (not just vehicular) anywhere in Thailand. Also handy to cover yourself if in someone else's car/bus/bike and they aren't insured. You can also make sure you have enough coverage if you think the Compulsary Government insurance is not enough coverage. i organised one through AA. i should increase it a bit but at the mo it pays 70k for medical per accident and 700k for death/dismemberment/permanent disability; cost B1,900. i've noticed some of the banks sell it too, but don't know if any good.

Archived