Floods hit several Thai provinces

webfact

Floods hit several provinces

flo.jpg

NAKHON SAWAN, 2 September 2016 (NNT) – The Royal Irrigation Department has warned downstream areas to prepare for flooding, which has struck several provinces. 

Floods have reportedly inundated a number of districts in the central provinces of Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, and Phichit. In Nakhon Sawan, a local school has been submerged, forcing teachers and students to relocate to the community temple for the time being. 

In Uthai Thani, the overflowing Tak Dad River has put more than 40 houses and farming areas under water. Residents were forced to move their belongings to higher ground. 

In Phichit, flooding has brought on extensive damage to agricultural areas in three districts. Though the situation has nearly returned to normal, relevant agencies remain on high alert, as they anticipate run-off from the provinces of Phetchabun and Kamphaeng Phet. 

Meanwhile, the Royal Irrigation Department has cautioned people in provinces located at the tip of the Chao Phraya Dam to beware of possible flooding. Rainfall in the upper part of the country have increased water at the reservoir and in the Chao Phraya River, which has risen by 80-120 centimeters. 

Riverfront communities in the provinces of Chainat and Ayutthaya are advised to prepare themselves for flooding.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-02

Clearly, the  Department of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation (DRRAA) has been overzealous. Recall their recent proud boast that  this year cloud seeding had resulted in rainfall being increased by 55%. Will they be held accountable for the flood-damage?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Riverfront communities in the provinces of Chainat and Ayutthaya are advised to prepare themselves for flooding.

Like 2011, water will be lapping at Bangkok's feet before they issue a warning for flooding there, and then act all surprised when the inevitable emergency does hit.

Hope those tug boats are fuelled up...

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Like 2011, water will be lapping at Bangkok's feet before they issue a warning for flooding there, and then act all surprised when the inevitable emergency does hit.

Hope those tug boats are fuelled up...

I think that Ploppa whatever his name was guy has bought some boats just for it... We were crossing one of the big bridges in Bangkok coming up from Cha Am and I saw three or four very strange looking boats tied to the side of river. Basically looked like huge aeration paddle wheels on the back of them.

7 minutes ago, Jogden said:

I think that Ploppa whatever his name was guy has bought some boats just for it... We were crossing one of the big bridges in Bangkok coming up from Cha Am and I saw three or four very strange looking boats tied to the side of river. Basically looked like huge aeration paddle wheels on the back of them.

I was being highly sarcastic, as is my way, but it appears I was wrong and they are preparing... Not in a way that any sensible authorities would, mind you, but preparing nonetheless!

I wish you'd taken some photos.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 3:22 PM, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Yaaaahhhh!!! The droughts are officially over!!!

It flooded in Texas last year and earlier this spring. Yet, Lake Mead and Lake Powell are still at their lowest level since the Dams were built and those lakes filled. Localized flooding in one area does not mean the draught is over; although, the general trend that I've noticed in my 18 years here is that there will be over compensation for the draught, the reservoirs North of Bangkok will be allowed to fill up too much and heavy rains in September/October will lead to flooding along the Chao Phraya river and into Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Phetchaburi, etc. Provinces