The boy on the beach: migrant crisis 'worsening' one year after Aylan Kurdi's death

rooster59

The boy on the beach: migrant crisis 'worsening' one year after Aylan Kurdi's death

606x341_342927.jpg

On the anniversary of the death of Aylan Kurdi, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has declared 2016 the deadliest year for migrants.

Speaking at a press conference in Geneva, spokesperson for UNHCR William Spindler has said that the death toll

He said: “UNHCR estimates that since Aylan’s death, 4,176 people have died or gone missing on the Mediterranean, an average of 11 men, women and children perishing every single day over the last 12 months.”

Aylan Kurdi died in 2015 while trying to escape war-torn Syria with his family – only his father survived.

The photographs of Aylan Kurdi’s lifeless body highlighted the plight of refugees, and sparked widespread debate – particularly in Canada, where Aylan Kurdi’s family intended to settle.

On Friday in London, demonstrators took to the street to mark the anniversary of his death, calling on the British government to act on the worsening crisis.

The images that opened the world’s eyes

In the early hours of September 2, 2015 Aylan Kurdi and his family boarded a small inflatable boat in Turkey, hoping to eventually reach Canada after making their way through Europe via the Greek island of Kos.

16 people wear crammed into the vessel – which was designed to fit only eight.

It sank about five minutes after leaving Bodrum.

Syrian radio reported that the family had paid $5,860 for their four spaces on the five-meter long boat, and Aylan’s father stated that the were give “fake” life jackets.

The toddler’s body was discovered by locals at around 6.30am along with that of another child on a beach near to Bodrum.

Turkish journalist Nilüfer Demir was on the beach that morning, and took the pictures that prompted international outcry.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-03

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Aylan Kurdi died in 2015 while trying to escape war-torn Syria with his family – only his father survived.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Did anybody else spot the discrepancy in this story...

1 hour ago, foxboy said:
7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Did anybody else spot the discrepancy in this story...

They fled Syria and went to Turkey where they settled for several months. Bodrum is in Turkey.

Yesterday there was a wonderful item on the BBC World News about this poor family. The Irish reporter Fergal Keane interviewed the father, Abdullah:

"What are the memories of the boys that come back to you?" - cue box of Kleenex.

"Every day I think of them but today I felt as if they'd come to me and slept with me. This makes me sad again."

I bet being interviewed by that Irish idiot didn't help either.

Keane's parting commentary: "Abdullah Kurdi risked the crossing to try and find that normal life for his children. He's been left a haunted survivor."

Well, actually, he risked his life and that of his entire family because he wanted his sister - then in Canada - to send him money so he could get new front upper teeth (which apparently he still hasn't got).

If you don't believe me, watch the interview with his sister in Canada:

What a pity Fergal Keane didn't include an interview with the sister in his tear-jerker of an interview. It wouldn't have been too difficult to do - she was standing right next to the father.

Aylan's farther Abdullah was identified by the other passengers  in the boat as the operator

of the boat. He blames smugglers for the fake life jackets, he blamed Canada for turning

down the refugee application submitted by his sister in Canada but it then turns out the sister

never applied for him but his brother who was already safely in Germany. Everybody's fault

but his.  The media just lapping up the tragic story/photograph and not fully reporting the

story in its entirety. I feel sorry for the dead child, for this guy, not so much.  :coffee1: