Thai language lessons

mc991

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent adult thai language teacher?

preferably one that can come to where you live or isn't based in the city and has a reasonable rate.

Cheers  :-)

The blunt answer is no one.

I have attended 4 language schools over the last 11 years. 3 in Jomtien and 1 in Pattaya. Classroom and one on one learning.

The basic principle of speaking Thai is that it is a language with small words. Most words are barely 4 letters long, and Thais clip words and cut off the end of English words. I have met many that struggle with the word Kitchen. They say chicken instead. A car is not a car its a Kaaah. They mix up L and R all the time. The Thai word for hot is Rawn rhymes with lawn (grass) but you hear them say Lawn all the time. Until you try to say it and they are all over you telling you that you are wrong.

Most of Pattaya is populated with rice pickers from Isaan. They speak a dialect that is 90% Lao language. What you hear in the bars, 7/11 and just about eveywhere around you is Isaan. Some of them get jobs as "teachers' in these language schools. This makes it worse for learning the basics as we are back to the Lawn/Rawn stuff again.

Even the Junta have admitted that the locals are less than useless compared to Philipines, Malaysia and Singapore.

If you could find an adult 50/50 Westerner / Thai they would be able to teach you better.

If the OP wants to PM me I can tell you the better school to go to....better as in as good as it can get here.

I was lucky. I had a great teacher from Jomtien.

I would suggest you consider having one on one lessons at any school, when you find a teacher you are comfortable with ask them if they would do home visits.

That's what I did and she came for 2 hours a day Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It is rather hit and miss though.

They speak a dialect that is 90% Lao language. What you hear in the bars, 7/11 and just about eveywhere around you is Isaan. ----loanwolfe99

I agree with  loanwolfe99 -- MC991, so it then begs the question, why learn Thai language. Why not learn a language that is easier to learn (because it has a simpler dialect-less words--and is also not written in sand-script) and not only will you be understood in Thailand but in at least 2 other countries as well.....most of the Khemers (Cambodia) do understand , because they border on 2 countries that speak Issan (the Issan part of Thailand & Lao, which of course is nearly the same language as isan )  

If language is all about communication----who will you be communicating with if you decide to stay in Thailand for your life???  The High -so of Thailand society--who may look down on the Isan language--(but still understand it, as they have to order the maids & gardeners around) . Or the BKK Taxi drivers / cleaners / shop staff / & general working people etc.  Sure you will get by on the Thai language even in Isan (sort of) its the official language in the schools---but I can assure you its never spoken up here outside of a school.

Isan in Thailand, spoken by 20 million or so people in a third of the population of Thailand and 80% of all Lao speakers. The language remains the primary language in 88% of households in Isan.[1]It is commonly used as a second, third, or even fourth language by the region's other linguistic minorities, such as Northern Khmer, Khorat Thai, Kuy, Nyah Kur and other Tai or Austronesian-speaking peoples. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isan_language

You will find travelling around Asia---Isan is of more use than Thai---I have hardly ever heard the Proper Thai language spoken outside of Thailand.

Also, Its always been an them-&-us thing with the Isan people & the Thai hi-So's , so if you really want to watch some girls face light up next time your in a Pattaya bar, answer in Isan ----even if its just " bo pen jang" instead of  Mị̀ pĕnrị  .The same if you ever visit Isan--they are so much more respectful of a Farang that is trying to learn Their language---& not Thai

And do have a look at some of the Isan language books----your be surprised how much easier.

3 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I agree with  loanwolfe99 -- MC991, so it then begs the question, why learn Thai language. Why not learn a language that is easier to learn (because it has a simpler dialect-less words--and is also not written in sand-script) and not only will you be understood in Thailand but in at least 2 other countries as well.....most of the Khemers (Cambodia) do understand , because they border on 2 countries that speak Issan (the Issan part of Thailand & Lao, which of course is nearly the same language as isan )  

If language is all about communication----who will you be communicating with if you decide to stay in Thailand for your life???  The High -so of Thailand society--who may look down on the Isan language--(but still understand it, as they have to order the maids & gardeners around) . Or the BKK Taxi drivers / cleaners / shop staff / & general working people etc.  Sure you will get by on the Thai language even in Isan (sort of) its the official language in the schools---but I can assure you its never spoken up here outside of a school.

Isan in Thailand, spoken by 20 million or so people in a third of the population of Thailand and 80% of all Lao speakers. The language remains the primary language in 88% of households in Isan.[1]It is commonly used as a second, third, or even fourth language by the region's other linguistic minorities, such as Northern Khmer, Khorat Thai, Kuy, Nyah Kur and other Tai or Austronesian-speaking peoples. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isan_language

You will find travelling around Asia---Isan is of more use than Thai---I have hardly ever heard the Proper Thai language spoken outside of Thailand.

Also, Its always been an them-&-us thing with the Isan people & the Thai hi-So's , so if you really want to watch some girls face light up next time your in a Pattaya bar, answer in Isan ----even if its just " bo pen jang" instead of  Mị̀ pĕnrị  .The same if you ever visit Isan--they are so much more respectful of a Farang that is trying to learn Their language---& not Thai

And do have a look at some of the Isan language books----your be surprised how much easier.

i was unaware learning isaan was an option in pattaya? can you reccomend any schools / teachers / books? im not learning so i can impress any bar ladies i can assure you.. learning a language is something ive always wanted to do and hopefully will come in handy in the near future.

im not learning so i can impress any bar ladies i can assure you.

Well going with girls ( bar or not)was my main reason for learning the language......in fact my main reason for coming to live here in Thailand----why is it such an awful thing that you have to assure me that you wouldn't do it.......

I came to live  in Pattaya full time in the 90s....but I haven't lived there now for over 10 years-----so I am well out of touch, Books there are some around with CDs......not so many as is needed.

Teachers----hopefully someone from Pattaya can point out for you---but you may be surprised at the resistance to helping someone learn that language you get. They will try to talk you out of the idea......a long haired dictionary or 2 is always useful.

But please keep the forum informed----I will be interested & I am sure others will be also , because I think to many people take the wrong turn on this language stance.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset,
but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless. ..........
:coffee1:

On 4 September 2016 at 11:48 AM, oxo1947 said:
On 4 September 2016 at 8:02 PM, oxo1947 said:

Well going with girls ( bar or not)was my main reason for learning the language......in fact my main reason for coming to live here in Thailand----why is it such an awful thing that you have to assure me that you wouldn't do it.......

Definitely nothing awful about that, its just not my reason for wanting to learn but some people seem to jump to that conclusion.

Thanks for the advice anyway :) my girlfriend is from Korat so should help with the Isaan side of things. I have learnt the alphabet and a few basic words/phrases but expanding vocabulary and remembering everything is where i struggle . Should i find somewhere/someone decent i will post on this thread.

Should i find somewhere/someone decent i will post on this thread. ---mc991

Yes please do---Korat..used to be known by the locals as "The door to Isan" you might be interested in Stickmans latest report on Udon Thani--the very best place in Isan---IMHO----its caused a bit of a stir....but not for any reason that you would guess...I am not allowed to give a link.

You will find it more of a struggle learning where you are as so many people speak English----sometimes you have to immerse yourself in a place that doesn't.