G20 ends with pledge on trade and promise to fight protectionism

webfact

G20 ends with pledge on trade and promise to fight protectionism

606x341_343149.jpg

HANGZHOU: -- The balance sheet from the latest G20 meeting, President Barack Obama’s last, appears to be a thin one.

Few areas of agreement emerged with major differences remaining over Syria, and there was little in the way of solid proposals to tackle the growing challenges to globalisation and free trade.

For China the meeting has been a great chance to capture the world’s centre stage.

“We agreed to improve G20 trade and investment mechanisms, endorse the G20 strategy for global trade growth and move towards inclusive and coordinated global value chains. We support the multilateral trading regime and oppose protectionism, so as to release the potential of global business cooperation and reverse the decline of global trade growth,” said Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Environmental protection was one area in which America and China decided to take a joint step forward by ratifying the Paris agreement to limit emissions, but a Donald Trump victory in November in the presidential election would be bad news for Beijing, as the Republican candidate would likely take a much harder line on most issues with China.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-06

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I wonder what President Donald Trump will think of this next January ?

Based on what I heard on the BBC yesterday and read today, they said:

"Once the deal comes into force, countries that have ratified it have to wait for a minimum of three years before they exit."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37265541

The BBC also said on their world news report yesterday that the USA does not need Congressional approval.

This other article goes into more detail about this issue especially at the end of the article:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/03/u_s_and_china_ratify_climate_deal_making_it_more_difficult_for_trump_to.html

Nevertheless, you raise an interesting question because I guess that a President Trump, assuming he does win, could still find ways to be troublesome if he so chooses. 

34 minutes ago, helpisgood said:

Based on what I heard on the BBC yesterday and read today, they said:

"Once the deal comes into force, countries that have ratified it have to wait for a minimum of three years before they exit."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37265541

The BBC also said on their world news report yesterday that the USA does not need Congressional approval.

This other article goes into more detail about this issue especially at the end of the article:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/03/u_s_and_china_ratify_climate_deal_making_it_more_difficult_for_trump_to.html

Nevertheless, you raise an interesting question because I guess that a President Trump, assuming he does win, could still find ways to be troublesome if he so chooses. 

This is a very interresting post because it contains information which is not widely reported elsewhere unless you went out of your way to gather this information.

Who are you ?

My personal opinion :  Whomsoever should win will amost certainly f&&k it up

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This is a very interresting post because it contains information which is not widely reported elsewhere unless you went out of your way to gather this information.

Who are you ?

My personal opinion :  Whomsoever should win will amost certainly f&&k it up

No, I just regularly listen to BBC World News.  I have noticed that they will often give a little extra analysis and insight on a story.

Oh and since I knew what I was looking for, I quickly found the Slate article under Google News to get further details.

Edited by helpisgood