Hey, German, leave our dogs alone! Pattaya police nab man for attacking soi dogs

webfact

Last night I cycled back home, which takes 40 minutes, and during that time I counted over 50 dogs on the street... and there were many more on peoples property.. thankfully behind gates and fences.

I had 3 instances of a dog going to attack me during that one cycle ride home.

2 happened with 2 big packs of dogs... and one was a surprise attack from a single dog rushing out of a gate.

We had feral dogs here kill a calf, break into my chicken coop and kill my chickens, kill my guinea fowl, attack my own pet dog. The big dogs at the village temple are really dangerous, having bitten several people and caused many people to fall off their motorbikes passing the temple. 

I am an animal lover, but when dangerous disease ridden feral dogs attack people, other animals, each other, and also live pitiful lives full of pain and suffering.... I can not see how anyone can defend their existence like that on the streets. They also mess the place up by ripping open bin bags and spreading rubbish all over the street..  which also attracts more rats.

I can also understand why people resort to kicking them, poisoning etc.  I have been badly bitten once several years ago.. which required numerous stitches and I still have a big scar on my leg.  Only last month I was bitten enough to draw blood and had to have a set of anti rabies shots. 

Someone suggested I feed the dogs and make friends with them.  How can I do that with over 50 dogs every night? 

When I am cycling and a dog is about to bite my leg.. its teeth and breath on my skin?  Should I stop and give it a cuddle and a can of dog food?  Or take it home on my shoulders to keep as a house pet?   I don't think so.....

Pepper and other sprays are useless... as the dogs attacks can be split seconds and come out or nowhere.  No time to reach into a pocket and squirt the spray.

I would love a taser on a stick to zap the dogs when they got too close.  One zap and they would soon learn to stop that behavior.

I am thinking about getting a metal rod to use to smack them with.  But now it seems feral dangerous dogs have more rights than humans... they are free to savage you and put you in hospital incurring medical costs and upset... but we can't kick one that is about to sink its teeth into some part of our body. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Last night I cycled back home, which takes 40 minutes, and during that time I counted over 50 dogs on the street... and there were many more on peoples property.. thankfully behind gates and fences.

2 happened with 2 big packs of dogs... and one was a surprise attack from a single dog rushing out of a gate.

We had feral dogs here kill a calf, break into my chicken coop and kill my chickens, kill my guinea fowl, attack my own pet dog. The big dogs at the village temple are really dangerous, having bitten several people and caused many people to fall off their motorbikes passing the temple. 

I am an animal lover, but when dangerous disease ridden feral dogs attack people, other animals, each other, and also live pitiful lives full of pain and suffering.... I can not see how anyone can defend their existence like that on the streets. They also mess the place up by ripping open bin bags and spreading rubbish all over the street..  which also attracts more rats.

I can also understand why people resort to kicking them, poisoning etc.  I have been badly bitten once several years ago.. which required numerous stitches and I still have a big scar on my leg.  Only last month I was bitten enough to draw blood and had to have a set of anti rabies shots. 

Someone suggested I feed the dogs and make friends with them.  How can I do that with over 50 dogs every night? 

When I am cycling and a dog is about to bite my leg.. its teeth and breath on my skin?  Should I stop and give it a cuddle and a can of dog food?  Or take it home on my shoulders to keep as a house pet?   I don't think so.....

Pepper and other sprays are useless... as the dogs attacks can be split seconds and come out or nowhere.  No time to reach into a pocket and squirt the spray.

I would love a taser on a stick to zap the dogs when they got too close.  One zap and they would soon learn to stop that behavior.

I am thinking about getting a metal rod to use to smack them with.  But now it seems feral dangerous dogs have more rights than humans... they are free to savage you and put you in hospital incurring medical costs and upset... but we can't kick one that is about to sink its teeth into some part of our body. 

As for the attacks on your peoperty, either a bigger fence or the dogs need to be culled. 

As for the dogs chasing you while bicycling. that is a tough one. If you slow down to peper spray them you risk a bite but that really would be the best option at training the dogs not to chase you (and others)...a good dose of pepper spray. 

I think it might also cause less of a commotion amongst locals if you pepper spray rather than hit the dogs with a steel pipe...although that would also "re-trsin" the dogs. 

The best thing about pepper spray is it "reaches out" and the dogs don't see it like they do a pipe in your hand. Just get a very large can of spray because those small cans empty out very fast. They also have a tendency to shoot high so aim a bit low. 

Good luck.

What are you talking about... is that a joke?

My bike is a cheap womens bike with a basket on the front and a rack on the back with my shopping from the market!!!   I hardly race through the place... and I have lights, bell etc.. and always watch out for things in the road.  I even stop for snakes and toads!!!

I have the right to defend myself from getting bitten.  You think you should just let dogs maul you and no react?  What planet are you on?

Do you really think a water pistol will stop an aggressive dog from attacking you, or a rabid dog?  Come to my place.. walk through the pack of 15 plus big aggressive dogs that circle around you snarling, showing their teach and lunging at you... stand there with you little water piston and give one a squirt when its running full speed to you leg with mouth wide ready to sink its teeth into your flesh... then just ignore the dogs latched onto you body as its OK you DESERVE to get mauled and injured because you happened to upset them by being a human and walking near them. 

I am not an idiot cyclist or a road hog... and nobody going about their daily normal life activities in a public place DESERVES to get attacked by dogs.  How could you even think that?!

5 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

As for the attacks on your peoperty, either a bigger fence or the dogs need to be culled. 

As for the dogs chasing you while bicycling. that is a tough one. If you slow down to peper spray them you risk a bite but that really would be the best option at training the dogs not to chase you (and others)...a good dose of pepper spray. 

I think it might also cause less of a commotion amongst locals if you pepper spray rather than hit the dogs with a steel pipe...although that would also "re-trsin" the dogs. 

The best thing about pepper spray is it "reaches out" and the dogs don't see it like they do a pipe in your hand. Just get a very large can of spray because those small cans empty out very fast. They also have a tendency to shoot high so aim a bit low. 

Good luck.

Thank you for this helpful and sensible reply and advise.

I have now walled and fenced in my entire property.. as considerable expense.. due to some other peoples neglected dogs.  I have also re build my animal housing from strong metal and concrete.. again thanks for other lazy and careless people and their neglected and abused dogs.

I really like the pepper spray idea.  As I said I love animals.. and don't want to hurt any... but if one is actually biting me I will not hesitate to inflict pain back to it.

Where can I buy the pepper spray.. and what is the best kind?

Thanks.

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 2:24 PM, napoleon3 said:

The other day, my post man, with his boots on, tried to play foot-ball with my small domestic dog, just because it made a little noise (woef woef) ???? Some human's are worse than animals !!!

Is the dog Dutch or Afrikaans? "Woef Woef?"

12 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

If a dog comes at me, barking threateningly, I kick it in the muzzle.  

Thais will poison dogs.  Happens every day.  

If you're on a motorbike you have two options - speed up or stop. If you stop the dog will leave you alone. If you want to ride slow, then make sure you have the appropriate footwear.:D 

On 9/7/2016 at 11:01 AM, MiKT said:

If you think my posts have been blind animal defending responses and endorse soi dogs roaming about you are yet another one who can't read, and assimilate plain English.

Contradicted by who, sicko animal haters?

What a load of dog <deleted>.

I love some animals and others I hate. There are good soi dogs and bad ones. The bad ones cause accidents and bite people - often infecting the victims with rabies. The soi dogs as a whole are an extreme public health hazard, worse than rats as the rats don't normally attack people.

I'm sure you're aware of animal culling - for the greater good of a population. Something like that needs to be implemented here. Will it ever happen? It may if the dogs become too much of a threat to tourism.

I remember a few years ago, after Songkran, nearly all of the dogs in my area disappeared (Cosy Beach). I don't know where they went - normally there are hundreds around here. Someone took care of them.... unfortunately they are now back in greater numbers than I've ever seen.

34 minutes ago, Generalchaos said:

Is the dog Dutch or Afrikaans? "Woef Woef?"

I really laughed when I read your post. When I was a young lad of about 15 I used to deliver newspapers in Johannesburg on a bike. I had a lot of fun with dogs running after me trying to bite me. Some of them barked and growled in English, others in Afrikaans. My Dutch parents barked at me in Dutch LOL.

On 6-9-2016 at 10:52 PM, tropo said:

You're a brave soul, choosing to bicycle around Pattaya. If the soi dogs don't finish you off, the traffic will. If that doesn't, the heat may do the job... and let's not mention the pollution you'll be sucking down when you're breathing hard. There's safer ways to get fit.

Well, I'm very lucky, I stay far away from Phuket and Pattaya, but still have STRAY dogs in my surrounding.

On September 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM, jak2002003 said:

Thank you for this helpful and sensible reply and advise.

I have now walled and fenced in my entire property.. as considerable expense.. due to some other peoples neglected dogs.  I have also re build my animal housing from strong metal and concrete.. again thanks for other lazy and careless people and their neglected and abused dogs.

I really like the pepper spray idea.  As I said I love animals.. and don't want to hurt any... but if one is actually biting me I will not hesitate to inflict pain back to it.

Where can I buy the pepper spray.. and what is the best kind?

Thanks.

I am sorry I do not know much about where to purchase pepper spray in Thailand but probably a store for personal defense items. (Hopefully someone can advise you here).

The good thing about pepper spray is it does not cause permanent damage to an animal.

It is very important to hit the face/head of the dog and you don't want to wait until it is biting you. It is better to use the spray as a deterent when a dog gets within 1-3 meters of you and is showing aggression. If you spray beyond 3-meters then it will disperse too much in the air to be effective or to spray accurately. I have used spray on large animals including bears and the effect is immediate. 

If you hit the most aggressive dog in the group with this spray then the others should stand down so you want to aim specifically at one dog. 

But the thing to remember is it may only have a duration of 3-seconds before the can is empty so aim well and maybe try shooting in 1-second bursts. 

On 9/8/2016 at 1:41 PM, jak2002003 said:

You must be doing something wrong, I also bicycle a lot in areas with soidogs . If I feel a dog is going to attack, I just stop and the dog will stop following  and move back to his flock , it will still bark at me but it will never bite me. I just scare them off if I feel there are too many of them in the soi.   It's important that you are not scared yourself, the dogs will look at you as the boss if you confront them and will not attack . 

No.. not doing anything wrong.    Not scared of them either.

Its how the dogs are around here.... I am not in the city or on a housing estate.  I am out in the country... rice fields, small villages and mountains.

These dogs do this to anyone walking or cycling. Even sometimes people on motorbikes.  I have seen them chasing other people and other people getting upset too... and I have seen the temple dogs cause 2 motor bike accidents..... causing one mother and her small child to fall off onto the road in one instance. 

Oh, and dogs in a group... its called a pack, not a flock.  Perhaps you are confusing them with chickens?  So far not been chased or attacked by a chicken. 

Lock a dog and your wife 5 hrs in the trunk of your car and guess who is happy and who is moaning when you open it again?

coming totally pissed at 3am home, spent all your money and have lipstick on your shirt, who will be happy welcoming you back home? Your wife or your dog?

Who you can just pull further when stopping at a shop's window without ending in a fight? 

Pepper spray is available in every souvenir stand at beach road pattaya, so i guess everywhere where they sell these Teasers they sell Pepper spray.

These small torches which including a teaser for 300 Baht are also doing a good job. just the noise and sparks make every dog running. 

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I am in Chiang Mai.. I will go to the city and look in the tourist shops and night market for the pepper spray.  Those 'teaser tourch' things sound good... Are they legal?  First time I heard about them. 

It is very important you keep soap nearby whenver you have the pepper spray so you can treat yourself in the event of overspray or accidental discharge. I don't know how well built the street vendor variety of pepper spray canisters are so be careful with handling and storing in clothing pockets. 

:thumbsup:

On September 6, 2016 at 5:01 PM, petermik said:

I,m very happy not to live near you :thumbsup:

Me too. Most soi dogs are an abomination. They are not cared for, they are desperate creatures, many are rabid, hungry, and mangy. And the whole concept that people can get Buddhavistic merit from feeding a soi dog is beyond comprehension. Something needs to be done. I would like to see the soi dog populations controlled, and culled. The nation needs it. They are a dangerous nuisance. And the noise.

A friend of mine who had several soi dogs who menaced the neighborhood built a little ramp for her pickup truck, stood inside with meat, and when all of the dogs climbed inside, she jumped into the truck, and brought them to the other side of Samui. They were never heard from again, and we regained the neighborhood. Bravo. Kudos to her, for a creative solution! Not a soul missed those dogs, for even a nanosecond. Not one.