Julian Assange criticises timing of Swedish news conference

webfact

Julian Assange criticises timing of Swedish news conference

606x341_343334.jpg

LONDON: -- Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has criticised the timing of a news conference held by the Swedish prosecutor.

Marianne Ny said there had been no news since August when Ecuador said Sweden could interview Assange at its London embassy where he has been confined for more than four years.

Assange sought refuge at the Ecuadorian Embassy to avoid extradition to Sweden where he’s wanted over rape allegations,claims he denies.

Ny said she is not sure if Quito will agree to the chief prosecutor, Ingrid Isgren, being present during the interrogation, along with a police investigator.

“We’re waiting now to be told how, when the interview is likely to take place and also if we are going to be allowed to be present while it’s being held,” Ny said.

Assange said Wednesday’s news conference was held just 48 hours before Sweden’s Court of Appeal decides whether he should be freed following the UN’s finding that his detention without charge is unlawful.

“The prosecutor’s state-funded press conference today appears to be a highly inappropriate attempt to place pressure on the courts,” Assange said.

“The press conference also comes hours before an in depth expose on the case from Sweden’s top investigative team is broadcast on Sweden’s national broadcaster. By holding the press conference six hours before the broadcast journalists will not know what questions to ask,” added Assange.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-08

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Are the rape charges real anyway?

Governments, in general, are desperate to stop the 'leaks', as the public are not allowed to see what is going on.

Read up about all the charges. The first prosecutor was changed because he thought there wasn't a case. They replaced him with a feminist. That gives you a flavor.

Does anyone know what is being claimed to support the rape charge?

I ask, as I remember reading (a long time ago) that it was not something that would be considered rape in the UK?  Refused to use a condom or something?

The way both the Swedish and UK courts/authorities are pursuing this case is FAR from usual - which is why so many are extremely suspicious and cynical about the reasons behind what has happened/is happening.

2 hours ago, johna said:

Sweden and the UK have dragged this out long enough, just do the interview live and post on youtube.

More like Assange has dragged this out.  Go to Sweden and sort it out.  Quit hiding.  He's probably doing this just for publicity.

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

More like Assange has dragged this out.  Go to Sweden and sort it out.  Quit hiding.  He's probably doing this just for publicity.

Haha, everyone knows why Assagne doesn't go to Sweden, but it is strange that an American has to make that suggestion again.

8 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Bearing in mind that this case is being pursued in a manner entirely different to any other case - I can well understand him being very wary indeed.

Even Brit. policeman guarding the Embassy (for years) to arrest him if he tried to leave!

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Bearing in mind that this case is being pursued in a manner entirely different to any other case - I can well understand him being very wary indeed.

Even Brit. policeman guarding the Embassy (for years) to arrest him if he tried to leave!

From my linked article:

On June 19, 2012, he fled bail and applied for asylum in Ecuador, through the embassy in Knightsbridge. But police encircled the embassy and refused to allow him to leave: the UK says its courts have ruled he must be sent to Sweden.

Ecuador granted him asylum in August 2012, but as soon as he sets foot outside the building Britain will deport him to Sweden. He has been inside the embassy ever since.

No conspiracy theories here.

4 hours ago, BuaBS said:

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that he will release more of Hillery's emails next week.

He is just acting here like the KGB - like a Russian spy. All the information, real and falsified, in his possession is supplied by the Russian hacking system. Ecuador should send him out of the Embassy and leave him to his own devious ways

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Does anyone know what is being claimed to support the rape charge?

I ask, as I remember reading (a long time ago) that it was not something that would be considered rape in the UK?  Refused to use a condom or something?

The way both the Swedish and UK courts/authorities are pursuing this case is FAR from usual - which is why so many are extremely suspicious and cynical about the reasons behind what has happened/is happening.

I don't know about the Swedish system, but Assange went all the way through the UK court system before his extradition was approved. He then jumped bail by taking refuge in the Ecuadorean Embassy. That is why he will be arrested by the UK authorities.

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

I don't know about the Swedish system, but Assange went all the way through the UK court system before his extradition was approved. He then jumped bail by taking refuge in the Ecuadorean Embassy. That is why he will be arrested by the UK authorities.

Which is why I'm interested as to what is being claimed as 'rape'.  I gather (but don't know) that the charge is not what would be charged as rape in the UK.

If this is the case, then there is no reason whatsoever for the UK courts to agree to extradite Assange?

Even so - would anyone argue that the Swedish and UK courts/authorities are treating him as anything other than a 'special case'?

7 minutes ago, JAG said:

The UK and Sweden were definitely playing along with the US. they have been playing the long game, hoping Assange would leave the Ecuadorean Embassy of his own volition due to being confined to embassy grounds. Now the Swedes are looking stupid for dragging this out over what is a contrived attempt to extradite Assange. 

And while I don't particularly care about him as a person, Where would the world be if these leaks had not happened, would the world be a safer place? Lets face it he has embarrassed quite a few politicians, rightly so!

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Which is why I'm interested as to what is being claimed as 'rape'.  I gather (but don't know) that the charge is not what would be charged as rape in the UK.

If this is the case, then there is no reason whatsoever for the UK courts to agree to extradite Assange?

Even so - would anyone argue that the Swedish and UK courts/authorities are treating him as anything other than a 'special case'?

There is an extradition request by Sweden.  The UK is abiding by that.  From what I understand, he is just wanted for questioning in Sweden.  No charges have been brought up.  So why not go and clear it up?  Publicity?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange#Swedish_sexual_assault_allegations

In November 2010 Assange was alleged to have committed several crimes against two different women during a visit to Sweden that August. He was wanted for questioning in Sweden over two counts of sexual molestation, one count of unlawful coercion and one count of "lesser-degree rape" (mindre grov våldtäkt). Assange denies the allegations.[145][146]

After 18 August 2015, Assange could no longer be charged for all three of the less serious allegations, as the Swedish prosecutors did not succeed in interviewing Assange before the statute of limitations for these alleged crimes ran out. However, he is still wanted for questioning over the allegation of rape. The preliminary investigation still continues as the statute of limitations here will only expire in 2020.[147][148][149][150][151]

29 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:

Yes!

Yes what?

Are you saying that the rape charges are real?  Or that governments are determined that the public are not allowed to find out the truth?

If the former - I'd be very interested to find out what is being claimed as rape by the Swedish authorities in their rape allegation.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes what?

Are you saying that the rape charges are real?  Or that governments are determined that the public are not allowed to find out the truth?

If the former - I'd be very interested to find out what is being claimed as rape by the Swedish authorities in their rape allegation.

The info on the alleged rape crime are widely available on the internet.  No conspiracy theories, other than the ones being put forth by him.  He's a criminal on the run.

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

There is an extradition request by Sweden.  The UK is abiding by that.  From what I understand, he is just wanted for questioning in Sweden.  No charges have been brought up.  So why not go and clear it up?  Publicity?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange#Swedish_sexual_assault_allegations

So you have no problems with whether the UK should have agreed to extradite Assange in the first place - i.e. whether the 'rape' charges are actually rape?

You also have no problem with the way both Sweden and the UK are treating this entirely differently to any other case?

6 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

And yet I can't find them... So please tell me the allegations behind the rape charge.

Assange is a known womaniser. He had consensual sex with one of the woman in the evening.  The next morning he spooned her while she was still dozing and didnt use a condom.  She didnt object or try to stop him.

She then proceeded to go alone and buy breakfast for them both at nearby shops.

After breakfast Assange left and didnt call her again. 

The one night stand with the second women is probably a variation of the above.   Somehow these two women met or knew each other.  They were pissed he didnt call them again.  They initially went to the police and demanded he be tested for STD....the police refused.  They also started talking to journalists about selling their story.  ...then likely smelled money, attention and revenge so they started talking about rape because he didnt use a condom without explicit consent.

Assange has always said he should be happy to go to Sweden if the Swedish government could gurantee he wouldnt be extradicted to the US...which they refused!

Assange has already been questioned by the swedish police on swedish soil but was released with no charges...it was only when the media circus rolled into town and the US began to look interested that they started saying they wanted to question him again.

9 minutes ago, HappyDazed said:

Assange is a known womaniser.

He had consensual sex with one of the woman in the evening.

The next morning he spooned her while she was still dozing and didnt use a condom.

She didnt object or try to stop him.

She then proceeded to go alone and buy breakfast for them both at nearby shops.

After breakfast Assange left and didnt call her again.

The one night stand with the second women is probably a variation of the above.

Somehow these two women met or knew each other.

They were pissed he didnt call them again.

They initially went to the police and demanded he be tested for STD....the police refused.

They also started talking to journalists about selling their story.

...then likely smelled money, attention and revenge so they started talking about rape because he didnt use a condom without explicit consent.

Assange has always said he sould be happy to go to Sweden if the Swedish government could gurantee he wouldnt be extradicted to the US...which they refused!

Assange has already been questioned by the swedish police on swedish soil but was released with no charges...it was only when the media circus rolled into town and the US began to look interested that they started saying they wanted to question him again.

Which is why I'm still wondering about the official rape allegation - as this (I think) doesn't come anywhere close to rape in the UK?

Surely one of those posting that Assange is trying to evade justice - can come up with a reason as to why the UK courts decided to extradite (even though the allegation doesn't come close to a rape charge in the UK).

Not to mention why the Swedish authorities took this further than any other of their cases (?), as did the UK authorities when they then posted police around the Embassy (edit - for years)!

'Stink' doesn't begin to cover what has happened in this case.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Assange is being hung out to dry by pandering govs with allegiance the US.. Even the aussie gov won't help him.

I don't blame him, why the heck would you go anywhere when you know you'll end up facing the US gov being held for the death penalty. Screw that.

I hope he exposes more of the frauds they are.

edit: take your time to read wikileaks it may open you to some good information

Edited by Gopro