US says Russian jet flew 10ft from plane over Black Sea

webfact

US says Russian jet flew 10ft from plane over Black Sea

WASHINGTON: -- The Pentagon says a Russian fighter plane flew within about 10ft (3m) of one of its reconnaissance aircraft operating over the Black Sea.

US officials described the intercept by the SU-27 jet on Wednesday as "dangerous and unprofessional".

Russia's defence ministry said the US plane had been approaching Russian territory and the SU-27 pilots had adhered to international rules.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37303247

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-09-08

35 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

What was the US plane doing in the Black Sea area....the USA is tens of thousands of miles away? Maybe the US should stop warmongering. 

Probably the same thing the Russian's were doing when they actually entered the territory of the UK, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, etc, etc, etc. 

So would you say perhaps Russia should stop warmongering?

P.S. this plane was in international airspace.  No violations involved.

Someday there will be an small mistake and the planes will collide. Then what?

Russia is playing stupid, dangerous game. As earlier mentioned, Russian military planes have violated borders of several countries. 

2 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Provocative behaviour by the Americans on someone else's doorstep. Precision flying by the Russians. 

Provocative for sure, but legal.  Precision flying?  For now.  Until it isn't and lives are lost.  Either way, reckless and uncalled for.  Maybe NATO should start doing the same back to Russian aircraft flying near (but not in) their territory?  Wouldn't that be fun? (not).

13 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Provocative for sure, but legal.  Precision flying?  For now.  Until it isn't and lives are lost.  Either way, reckless and uncalled for.  Maybe NATO should start doing the same back to Russian aircraft flying near (but not in) their territory?  Wouldn't that be fun? (not).

Remember the Russian plane that got shot down near the Syrian border recently? In the jostling of nations, soldiers will die. My advice is for everyone to stay at home, but there you go.

I'm sure we'll never know, but I wonder exactly how close the US plane was to the Russian border? At the speed they fly, they might have crossed within a few seconds, so technically, yes, they were outside when accosted, but evidently close enough for the Russians to fear an imminent incursion. In any case, I should think the Americans are now impressed by Russian wing-craft.

16 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Remember the Russian plane that got shot down near the Syrian border recently? In the jostling of nations, soldiers will die. My advice is for everyone to stay at home, but there you go.

I'm sure we'll never know, but I wonder exactly how close the US plane was to the Russian border? At the speed they fly, they might have crossed within a few seconds, so technically, yes, they were outside when accosted, but evidently close enough for the Russians to fear an imminent incursion. In any case, I should think the Americans are now impressed by Russian wing-craft.

Awwww, your grandfather's whiskers!

51 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Russia is playing stupid, dangerous game. As earlier mentioned, Russian military planes have violated borders of several countries. 

here's the list of "violations":

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/full-list-of-incidents-involving-russian-military-and-nato-since-march-2014-9851309.html

Edited by Naam

4 hours ago, Naam said:

sound quite normal to me.

Increasingly, yes, it would seem.  Deja vous.  

In the late 80s, I was at sea for the "Cold War" and it was quite common for the Ruskie surveillance and/or bombers to do close fly bys of us in international waters.....but with two of our F/A 18s right there with them.  I don't know about 10 feet but they were tucked up in close, and slightly behind the Soviet aircraft. 

Their small trawlers (bristling with antennas) used to follow us around, very close behind.  We would sometimes wave back and forth when they got really close.

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

while the USA never did.

1 hour ago, mania said:

The SU-27 should have pulled one from USA's play book & fired a few warning shots :thumbsup:

Yeah, right! You mean fire warning shots without tracers so the rounds can't be seen as the Russian intercepter pilot stated in his report of the shoot down of KAL 007?

Flight MH 17 didn't even get warning shots, without or without tracers.

Maybe the SU-27 pilot could have shot into the Baltic Sea in the off chance the Poseidon crew would see them. Something like that?

Edited by MaxYakov

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Provocative behaviour by the Americans on someone else's doorstep. Precision flying by the Russians. 

Precision flying with steely nerves by the US Navy P-8A Poseidon recon jet pilots and supporting crew as the the Russian pilot played cutesy for a while.

Another day, another Crazy Ivan.

17 minutes ago, Publicus said:

Precision flying with steely nerves by the US Navy P-8A Poseidon recon jet pilots and supporting crew as the the Russian pilot played cutesy for a while.

Another day, another Crazy Ivan.

I hope the P-8As have a decent escape system for the crew. However, I suspect that escape was not made an option.

Something more acceptable than an emergency landing on Hainan Island.

Edited by MaxYakov

4 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Flight MH 17 didn't even get warning shots, without or without tracers.

Iran Air Flight 655 was an Iran Air passenger flight from Tehran to Dubai. On 3 July 1988, the aircraft operating on this route was shot down by the United States Navy guided missile cruiser USS Vincennes under the command of William C. Rogers III. The incident took place in Iranian airspace, over Iran's territorial waters in the Persian Gulf, and on the flight's usual flight path. The aircraft, an Airbus A300 B2-203, was destroyed by SM-2MR surface-to-air missiles fired from Vincennes. All 290 people on board died.[1] The cruiser Vincennes had entered Iranian territorial waters after one of its helicopters drew warning fire from Iranian speedboats operating within Iranian territorial limits.

yada yada, yakety-yak  :coffee1: