A/C brand recommendations

sometimewoodworker

The back story. The search function of TV is not giving any results though I suspect there is information here

We are looking to install some A/C units a lot sooner than we had originally planned as the ceiling group suggest that installing at the same time as the ceiling will be a better way to go (they will just install whatever we get at no cost to us)

The problem is that the unit we would like is a Mitsubishi PCY P30KALT. This a 30,000 BTU cassette (in ceiling) inverter and so far everyone is claiming that it unavailable at the moment.

image.jpeg

Our options are to get another make (I know that Daikin is good but nobody seems to have them) or install a bigger unit. 

My question is which are the better or worse makes, we are under a bit of time pressure.

Both Mitsubishi and Daikin are reputable brands.  If you can't find or order the "Cassette" style, you may want to reconsider a wall mount.  The AC guys I have talked to say the ceiling units are a bitch to service and, because of the longer runs, are not as efficient.  

Probably irrelevant to the OP and his needs but I am pleased with my Hitachi wall-mounted inverter air-con.

One technician who cleaned it said "expensive parts" but as I have never needed any I have no idea if it is true or not.

I suspect that, depending on the fault, if and when my unit breaks down I may just buy a new one rather than repair it. It's already 4 years old, and working 24/7 they cant last forever. Electricity savings from a more efficient new machine would probably counterbalance the cost of purchase a fair bit anyway.

Always used Daikin BUT needed a small aircon recently and have tried out MIDEA.

They are one of the cheapest, from China, and against my normal MO.

But I learned they are a HUGE supplier of aircons, spend x% of their budget on R and D, and they have a 5 year warranty on the wall unit and 7 on the compressor.

I decided there was little downside and maybe save a few bob, like a third.

It runs quietly, and the fan pushes the air across the room very well.

Looks good too with soft greenlit numbers and no nasty shiny Chinese looking bits. They're learning (I hope!).

IMG_0315.JPG

Edited by cheeryble

Daikin and Carrier are the most high end in the A/C market but for most household requirements any of the main brand names which you normally associate with electrical goods are pretty much of the same level

The most important thing is to have it installed professionally all later faults will come due to not having it installed properly from the outset, bear in mind an A/C is deigned to last for up to 15 years, unfortunately I have not seen one installed properly yet so cannot advise on an installer. Perhaps if you brought directly from Daikin or Carrier you may get the correct installment

Thanks for all the replies.

it turns out that while the 30,000 Mitsubishi cassette unit is not available l have a choice of either a Daikin 30,000 or a Mitsubishi 36,000.

So as we have a main ceiling hight of 3.6m there is a high light well section of 5.9m in consequence we have decided on the Mitsubishi. 

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Cant recall ever seeing that brand in the usual shops in Pattaya. Where did you buy it? Is it an inverter model?

Can understand why it is not a common brand name here (think Thai language "Mai dee" meaning).  But it really is a major world player but no Thai office.  

Midea-Toshiba Carrier Inverter joint research and development (R&D) centre