UK pension in Europe.

Thanks for the answer. Really thinking about giving up here and moving there. My wife (Thai) is thinking the same way.

We haven't decided 100% as it's obviously a big decision.

We really don't want to go to UK or me to UK alone for a while etc.

It would be a case of selling one place in Thailand, keeping the other and probably 9 months there and 3 in Thailand.

Again thanks for answering.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Thanks for the answer. Really thinking about giving up here and moving there. My wife (Thai) is thinking the same way.

We haven't decided 100% as it's obviously a big decision.

We really don't want to go to UK or me to UK alone for a while etc.

It would be a case of selling one place in Thailand, keeping the other and probably 9 months there and 3 in Thailand.

Again thanks for answering.

An issue you need to consider, the pension uprating you will receive on relocating to europe is not guaranteed to be maintained whilst you are in thailand , its outcome will be at the decision  makers discretion.

On a separate note is your spouse entitled to a category b pension

Last two posts are very valid points.

It's not going to be an overnight decision obviously.

Lots of variables involved. Buy a 2 bedroom there, do 6/6 and rent out etc.

Rent to people who want to go there from Thailand, tax liabilities etc.

Just have a holiday home etc.

Many different ways to look at it.

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 8:32 PM, JohnC said:

Just keep Brexit in mind, no one knows yet how it will affect expats living in Europe

I don't think Brexit is going to be an issue. The countries which have UK pensions upgraded are those with whom the UK has a bi-lateral Social Security agreement.  That is certain to continue after Brexit in Europe.

We have one with the Phillipines for example, and ex pats there get the uplifts.

I can confirm you uprating will be on the basis of the amounts you have missed, as though you had received them. No back pay though!!

On 9/12/2016 at 2:54 PM, overherebc said:

Re Brexit . I reckon the agreement on pension applies to many countries that are not EU members so not sure if it would change anything. 

The agreements were in place before joining EU I think.

Obviously countries outside the EU with existing upratings will not be affected by brexit, however the countries within the EU will depend on what is negotiated , there are very few with reciprocal arrangements in place.

It should also be noted the government website states that to unfreeze state pension you have to return to the UK to live. The uprating is part of the UK social security arrangements and as such is for british residents with provisions for exceptions

2 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

There are 2 research papers I would recommend downloading and reading from Parliament

http://www.parliament.uk/topics/PensionsArchive.htm#SN

Frozen Overseas Pensions

Brexit: impact across policy areas  (sectiion 13 deals with social security)

Interesting reading.I suppose it all depends on whether any of us actually think that post - brexit we will not have bi-lateral arrangements with individual EC countries or retain the current 'overall ' agreement in some other form.

I think there would be many Europeans, living and working here, who would be most piss,d off if thier governments refused to have bi-lateral agreements.

It's all about cost though as the download indicates. I still have the video of the ECHR hearing, where the government attorney argued that those who choose to exit the UK and then make no contribution to the exchequer, can hardly expect an uprating.   Just how many Brits in Thailand pay income tax on private pensions etc. Loads!  Where does that money go, other than to HMT.

Personally I am re-locating to Spain next month after 10 years here. I have no qualms about Brexit - I believe it will be a 'soft landing" - if indeed it takes place at all.