Chiang Mai "Grand Canyon" - yet another tourist death

webfact

Chiang Mai "Grand Canyon" - yet another tourist death

p3.jpg

Image: Sanook

CHIANG MAI: -- Yet another tourist has died at the attraction called "Grand Canyon" in the Hang Dong district of Chiang Mai.

A 25 year old died Saturday after a friend jumped on top of him from five meters up the side of the quarry, reported Sanook.

The victim was knocked unconscious and drowned. It was two hours before the body was recovered.

The owner - who is the headman of the Nam Prae sub-district and who charges 50 baht a time for tourists to use the area - admitted that staff were looking the other way at the time.

The facility is not properly licensed and the owner could face charges in the matter though it is widely known that in the past the operation of the facility has been mired in corruption allegations.

There have been at least 4 or 5 deaths in the area in related incidents in the last few years.

Saturday saw the death of a man called Hatsanai from Lampang after a friend jumped on him. The friend could face charges.

Police who visited on Sunday and temporarily closed the site said that they are waiting on an autopsy from Maharat Chiang Mai Hospital to see if the man died from a broken neck as is suspected.

Owner Chatkarin Trakulinsan toured the canyon with police saying that his facility has rules and regulations. Tourists must wear proper clothing and life jackets and enter the water correctly. There are usually six guards on duty, he told investigators, but admitted that "they were not watching" for some reason when a third person in a party jumped in on his friends on Saturday.

There are two other operators of similar quarries in the area that cater to tourists.

Earlier this year in February the Governor of Chiang Mai ordered the Grand Canyon shut but it since reopened.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-12

I live close to this quarry and the neighbouring one called Grand Canyon. The one reported above is just The Canyon. My wife, a very strong athlete and experienced swimmer, went to the Grand Canyon a couple of weeks ago. She used the slide into the water which swept her under one of the inflatable platforms. It took all her resources to survive and find her way out. During this trip people were jumping one after the other in a very dangerous manner. The lifeguards (or security?) turned a blind eye and my wife, being one of the most outspoken and forward Thais you are ever likely to meet, gave them a good talking too and explained the critical safety aspects. They ignored her. I go past these two facilities every day: I do not understand why they have been allowed to stay open: THEY ARE DANGEROUS. I warn all those tourists I meet and others to stay away. The one above charges 50 baht. The Grand Canyon with all the toys and inflatables cost 300 baht a pop. I have no other evidence but I know of two or three people who have used these places, swallowed water and were violently sick for a few days. It beggars belief that the owner of one is a village headman. I guarantee they would not get away with these amateur and dangerous facilities in any Western country.

Absolutely agree with every word from ianf. I also live close to the facility, I am not a swimmer, but I ve been intrigued and not in a good way by the staggeringly inept development of this death trap place. I ve been for a coffee and watched as people jump in one after the other to exactly the same place, similar to what happened with this death. The so called lifeguards are just a joke. They do nothing other than stand around playing with their phones and having a good laugh at scrapes and near misses, if this facility is allowed to continue as it is now there will be more accidents, no doubt at all.

there are "six guards but they were not watching". what on earth were they doing if not doing the job they have been hired for. were they multi tasking? in any case the  whole set up appears to be a risky and dangerous set up. the owner who is making money from the facilities must be held responsible for any lapses in security.

9 hours ago, Redline said:

He will just make it an alligator farm. and take people out in rubber boats

ya. another death trap. these facilities must be regulated and licensed to ensure that proper procedures are in place and enforced.

Edited by sahibji

11 hours ago, ianf said:

I live close to this quarry and the neighbouring one called Grand Canyon. The one reported above is just The Canyon. My wife, a very strong athlete and experienced swimmer, went to the Grand Canyon a couple of weeks ago. She used the slide into the water which swept her under one of the inflatable platforms. It took all her resources to survive and find her way out. During this trip people were jumping one after the other in a very dangerous manner. The lifeguards (or security?) turned a blind eye and my wife, being one of the most outspoken and forward Thais you are ever likely to meet, gave them a good talking too and explained the critical safety aspects. They ignored her. I go past these two facilities every day: I do not understand why they have been allowed to stay open: THEY ARE DANGEROUS. I warn all those tourists I meet and others to stay away. The one above charges 50 baht. The Grand Canyon with all the toys and inflatables cost 300 baht a pop. I have no other evidence but I know of two or three people who have used these places, swallowed water and were violently sick for a few days. It beggars belief that the owner of one is a village headman. I guarantee they would not get away with these amateur and dangerous facilities in any Western country.

clear cut case of lack of proper procedures. congratulation on your wife's lucky escape. not everyone is endowed with such swimming capabilities. these cheap thrills facilities must be stopped.

16 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Should be simple common sense - you don't jump immediately after another person. Woops forgot, TIT. Bloody idiot. 

install a manned turnstile which will only allow a jumper after all clear has been given by the operator. it will cost more but if it can save lives, the cost will be well worth it. the owner's back also will be safe,