Thai Nationality through family lines.

hgma

Subject. Thai Nationality for my children

Grandmother. Born//Raised in Thailand

Took on Lao nationality as single parent (Lao 'husband' left her.)

Has a Thai sister living next door province.

My wife (her daughter) has Lao nationality by birth

Question

Can we claim Thai Nationality (if Grandmother's Sister's birth certificate can trace grand mothers Thai birthplace and Thai parents)for both wife and kids.?

The Thai Nationality is in consideration for both mother (my wife) and our children (if she can get Thai nationality)

Children are Dutch nationals now.(born in Thailand )

Which of our respected members can shed some light in my darkness.

Very good question, does not look easy to answer but I did a quick search and seems a similarge question was asked previously so here is a link.

If you can report back on progress that would be very cool for future users who may find themselves in a similar position.

Rc 2702

Thanks a million for the links, we have decided not to proceed, as back then 60 years ago gran's Thai parents didn't have registered birth and no files exist,

The Thai sister got her Thai nationality when the then Mayor of the village guaranteed she was born there, and another guy signed up as well ....these people are long gone,and its not worth spending time and money on it.Thanks to your in depts links the decision could be made quickly.....thank you again for posting

HGMA

• 2 months later...

Under the Thai Nationality Act Thai nationality is only automatic for those born anywhere in the world to at least one Thai parent, at the time of birth, not naturalised later, and those born within the Kingdom of Thailand to two Thai parents who are both permanent residents at the time of the birth. Those born in Thailand to two alien parents before December 1972 are also automatically Thai.   There are also some piecemeal provisions for those born in Thailand to non-PR alien parents between 1972 and 1992 to get citizenship and for stateless Thais who were born in places that used to be in Thailand but were taken by Cambodia, Laos or Burma after WWII.  Unlike some other countries, there is no specific provision to obtain nationality based on Thai grandparents.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-11-19 at 8:11 AM, Arkady said:

Unlike some other countries, there is no specific provision to obtain nationality based on Thai grandparents.

Well, according to law, three grandparents children are Thai citizens too, but then their children (the child's parent) will have to go through the citizenship process and then the child can. I for example is a born Thai citizen, but we (my parents) didn't report that to the Thai embassy before I was 20, and I didn't register at amphur until 32, when my daughter was already born. With my national ID number I could then register Thai citizenship for my daughter at the Thai embassy.