Proof of Address / Residence Certificate

Hi All,

Am due to renew my 5 year driving license so needed a proof of address, I went to my local immigration this morning (central Thailand) to check what was needed, the girl there v politely told me what I needed (certificate of residence application form, 2 x photo, copies of relevant passport pages etc.) so I went off and got all the documents I needed. She asked how much I paid 5 years ago (same Imm office) and I told her 500 THB, she said that should be fine, come back later. 

I returned in the afternoon and handed my documents over to the same lady as earlier, she went off into the 'bosses office' and returned to say they won't issue one. Something about a new team at that Imm office and unfortunately they won't issue me one. They advised me to go to the Police station (literally next door) and get one there. I went off to the main Police station for my area and they were completely baffled by my request, in the end they issued me with a hand written report confirming my address with official Police stamp / signature etc. 

What is going on with Certificates of Residence, how did I get one before and not now? Also will the driving license section accept my hand written document from the Police station? By the way I am here on a Non Imm O Multi Entry and have been for a few years, is that something to do with it? The last time I got a cert of residence I was able to get it (5 Years Ago) it on a single entry Non Imm O so it's all very confusing.

Thanks, Paddy 

Edited by paddy

I would think the licensing office should accept the police address confirmation.

• Generally Immigration no longer want to issue a residency certificate to anyone that doesn't have a long term extension of stay.
  • If you go to your local Amphoe, with the person named as the house-master (usually the owner) in the Tabien Baan, they should issue you with a certificate that will be accepted. The Thai would need to take their ID and Tabien Baan.
  • If all else fails a certificate issued by your Embassy would be accepted.

To get the extension for purpose of visiting my wife, is my Thai driving license (has my address on the back) enough as proof of address or is it better to get the letter from my embassy?

I will apply for extension in CW.

Edited by bozilla

7 minutes ago, bozilla said:

To get the extension for purpose of visiting my wife, is my Thai driving license (has my address on the back) enough as proof of address or is it better to get the letter from my embassy?

I will apply for extension in CW.

A drivers license or a letter from the embassy will not be accepted at immigration for proof of residence.

If you are living where your wife's house book is for that would be enough. If not you will need a rental agreement with signed copies of the owners house book and ID card attached.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are living where your wife's house book is for that would be enough. If not you will need a rental agreement with signed copies of the owners house book and ID card attached.

Actually we are living here in BKK, but did not sign a rental agreement with our landlord. And not sure Immi CW would accept Taibien Baan cause it is the one of my parents-in-law from Surin and my wife is still registered there.

Or would they accept it when we tell them we will stay in Isaan for the next 60 days?

Just now, bozilla said:

Actually we are living here in BKK, but did not sign a rental agreement with our landlord. And not sure Immi CW would accept Taibien Baan cause it is the one of my parents-in-law from Surin and my wife is still registered there.

Or would they accept it when we tell them we will stay in Isaan for the next 60 days?

Her house book would not be accepted unless it was for a Bangkok address.

They will want proof of an address in Bangkok.

For a 60 day extension they might be a little more flexible but you will need to something to prove your address.

Your wife needs to talk to your landlord about a basic month to month rental agreement. Blank ones can be found at a stationary shop or a pack of them at Tesco. Just fill it out. The landlord and your wife sign it and with one witness and it is done.

Thank you very much ubonjoe for your suggestion. As wise as always.

I will talk to my wife that she shall discuss this with him. As much as I understood, our landlord did not want to have a contract, so he not need to pay taxes for the monthly rent and he probably also did not inform immigration that a frang is living on his premises.

2 minutes ago, bozilla said:

I will talk to my wife that she shall discuss this with him. As much as I understood, our landlord did not want to have a contract, so he not need to pay taxes for the monthly rent and he probably also did not inform immigration that a frang is living on his premises.

Doing a rental agreement does not mean he will have to pay taxes. It is only between the two parties and is not registered anywhere.

Immigration in Bangkok do not enforce the TM30 form like some offices do.

4 hours ago, bozilla said:

Contract or not the landlord is potential liable for tax. If they won't sign a rental contract you could try getting them to complete the TM.30. If you took that with a copy of their ID and Tabien Baan it might be accepted as proof of address.

The only other option might be to spend a few days at your wife's home and apply at the local immigration office using your wife's address and Tabien Baan/ID.

• 1 year later...