PM's Phuket speech venue changed

snoop1130

PM's Phuket speech venue changed

Chutharat Plerin

1_2016913135916199_pfnWgoPRPUNYhfYSrXNKN

PHUKET:-- The venue for the Startup Thailand 2016 seminar in Phuket, where the Prime Minister is scheduled to make a speech during his visit to the province on Friday, has been moved to the Duangjitt Resort and Spa in Patong.

After presiding over the official opening ceremony of the new international terminal at Phuket Airport from 8:30 to 9:30am, Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-o-cha is now scheduled to attend the opening of the Startup Thailand and Digital Thailand 2016 seminar at the Duangjitt Resort and Spa in Patong, where he plans to give a speech titled 'Phuket: from World Class Destination to world Class Smart City and Startup Hub' from 10:30 to 11:00am.

“The Startup Thailand seminar was initially scheduled to take place at the Royal Phuket Marina in Koh Kaew. However, the venue has now been moved to the Duangjitt Resort and Spa,” a spokesperson from the Ministry of Science and Technology confirmed.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/PMs-Phuket-speech-venue-changed/65558?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-09-13

For those unaware, a lot of money is being spent and concessions given by the BOI in support of SIPA projects.

They are trying to make Phuket the Silicon Valley of SE Asia as well as Chiang Mai.

All the fat cats from CAT Telecom were in Phuket last week, bus loads of them.

While the premise is good (allowing foreigners to obtain no-hassle work permits and visas, live in a beautiful location with their living costs and salaries guaranteed) it has a few major hurdles to overcome.

1. Lack of reliable electricity/connectivity

2. Bottleneck for international bandwidth

3. Security concerns

4. Poorly enforced/non-existent IP laws

If they want to attract big software talent to Thailand they need to overcome these issues.

That being said, there are already some big (foreign) software/IT companies based in Phuket.

It will take time. 

xvend: I'm interested in this topic. Not this particular visit but the changes you mentioned. Can you link to more info about the work permit/visa stuff for foreigners? Thailand could indeed be an interesting place for VC investors to foster a startup ecosystem but so far it's not exactly the best because of the reasons you mentioned and the hassles and insecurity.

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

xvend: I'm interested in this topic. Not this particular visit but the changes you mentioned. Can you link to more info about the work permit/visa stuff for foreigners? Thailand could indeed be an interesting place for VC investors to foster a startup ecosystem but so far it's not exactly the best because of the reasons you mentioned and the hassles and insecurity.

Hi, unfortunately this is the best you will get from SIPA http://www.sipa.or.th/

To put things in perspective, it's a great idea. I've attended these events, as the only foreigner.

The brochures are in English, but all these events are presented in Thai Language.

However, the one last week in Phuket (over 2 days) was attended by the the BOI head in Phuket and the BOI head for all of Thailand. Both can speak perfect English.

You can PM me for more info as I prefer not to post it here, nor would I post it in a PM, but I will provide a way to contact me.

All the best

16 hours ago, xvend said:

For those unaware, a lot of money is being spent and concessions given by the BOI in support of SIPA projects.

They are trying to make Phuket the Silicon Valley of SE Asia as well as Chiang Mai.

All the fat cats from CAT Telecom were in Phuket last week, bus loads of them.

While the premise is good (allowing foreigners to obtain no-hassle work permits and visas, live in a beautiful location with their living costs and salaries guaranteed) it has a few major hurdles to overcome.

1. Lack of reliable electricity/connectivity

2. Bottleneck for international bandwidth

3. Security concerns

4. Poorly enforced/non-existent IP laws

If they want to attract big software talent to Thailand they need to overcome these issues.

That being said, there are already some big (foreign) software/IT companies based in Phuket.

It will take time. 

during the 10 years i have had a work permit here i have never seen a single step made for it getting easier to get work permits for me or anyone else. one of the armies first steps when it got into power was to reduce tax breaks to foreign companies operating in thailand, resulting in foreign investment dropping about 90%.  they seem to want one thing but regulate to ensure the opposite.