US Embassy no longer accepts cash (either US or Baht) at Outreach Events

Thaigreg

Received email from US Embassy stating they will no longer accept cash (either US or Baht) at there Outreach Events.  You must get a Bank Draft in advance made out to " US Embassy Bangkok" from  Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, or Siam Commercial Bank for services.   Also you must have a separate bank draft of 100 baht if you use Thai Post to mail back your passport.  They will still accept cash or credit cards at the US Embassy in Bangkok only.

Edited by Thaigreg
misspell

What an extra pain in the butt...and those  bank drafts ain't free. They're getting almost as bad to deal with as Thai Immigration. Was it so much trouble to bring a cash-box with them to these events and hand it over to the cashier when they got back to the embassy?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Not there job to check for all our fake notes - let the banks do that - this is world wide so expect it is to remove financial handling/loss from Consular Officer Duties.  Draft has always been a requirement for Thai making visa payments (and that was from post office queue) so the bright side is should be easier to obtain at bank.  

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Anybody know what branch of what bank can do these here? The only time I needed one my local branch of Bangkok Bank sent me to Siricha!

I assume they mean just an ordinary cashiers, i.e., bank, check. These are available at any branch of a bank where one has a deposit relationship (and certainly the branch where you opened the account). The cost the last time I got one was 150 baht.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Anybody know what branch of what bank can do these here? The only time I needed one my local branch of Bangkok Bank sent me to Siricha!

All future payments at U.S. Embassy Outreach Events must be made in the form of a BANK DRAFT

·         Purchased from Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, or Siam Commercial Bank (SCB). 

o   You do not need an account at the bank to purchase a bank draft.

·         Purchased in advance.  

·         Made out to the “American Embassy Bangkok.”

·         In the exact amount of Thai Baht (THB) for your total service.

·         At the official embassy exchange rate at the time of the outreach.

o   Fees and exchange rates will be included in individual outreach announcements and posted on our website.

·

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I assume they mean just an ordinary cashiers, i.e., bank, check. These are available at any branch of a bank where one has a deposit relationship (and certainly the branch where you opened the account). The cost the last time I got one was 150 baht.

OK, thanks. I notice now that it can be in baht, which should help immensely. My local BKK branch could NOT write a cashier's check for USD payable to the US Treasury and, though there are obviously a number of other branches around town, insisted that I had to get it at the large branch in Siricha. They called in advance with all the info and it was waiting for me when I got there. B150 charge, too.

Maybe the problem was that I wanted it rather quickly ;) so they didn't have time to have it sent to them. They're good people at my branch, know me well, and of course love me like crazy so I know they did the best they could.

Well I can tell you that here in the USA you will have great difficulty in getting a bank draft, which I interpret as a cashier's check if you are not an account holder at the bank.  I don't know how easy it is for a non account holder to buy one in Thailand from a bank one is not an account holder of

9 hours ago, JSixpack said:

OK, thanks. I notice now that it can be in baht, which should help immensely. My local BKK branch could NOT write a cashier's check for USD payable to the US Treasury and, though there are obviously a number of other branches around town, insisted that I had to get it at the large branch in Siricha. They called in advance with all the info and it was waiting for me when I got there. B150 charge, too.

Maybe the problem was that I wanted it rather quickly ;) so they didn't have time to have it sent to them. They're good people at my branch, know me well, and of course love me like crazy so I know they did the best they could.

Definitely some "up-hill" service there  :D