What is, and which Airline is least expensive Business Class?

BruceMangosteen

This is a very weird thread. The people to ask are not TV members but a travel agent. That's their job, not ours, to advise the best deal. They know stuff that we don't. Some airlines have a special deal for one week or whatever. Having said that, I managed to upgrade from Economy to Business Dubai to Bangkok on-line for 200 baht. And no, there is no 0 missing. I didn't have the cheapest Economy ticket though, and the e-ticket did state Special Fare.

On 9/14/2016 at 9:05 PM, BruceMangosteen said:

As mentioned, I know about the seasonal impacts and just need to get to the west coast. From the west coast I'll use miles to get to my final destination. I have no budget. I'm hoping to find something around $1500.usd.(one way) As someone mentioned, the Chinese carriers come up least expensive. I suppose I could go the other direction(middle east) if actually less expensive. Budget carriers are not going to fly across the Pacific ocean, at least I don't think they are yet. Thanks for the replies. O O and God Bless You. BTW, why haven't we heard by the Egypt Air plane crashed? They found the black boxes...just wondering. 

You might be able to come closer to $2,000 - $2,500, but it really depends on when you plan to travel. Certainly look at China Eastern, Eva, Asiana. The one-way thing doesn't help, obviously. (I was working BKK-xxx-LAX specifically.)

Some airlines do offer buy-ups, both as part of the booking process, subsequent to ticket issuance and even day of travel at check-in, which can result in a less expensive alternative (economy ticket + buy-up < business class now). But it can be challenging to weigh these options given the unknowns, which may actually be more expensive than a cheap business class fare bucket now.

Eva Air is adding direct, non-stop service TPE-ORD (O'Hare) 4x weekly MWThSa in early November (2016).

You may be able to tag on the last segment of your journey, so LAX-???, for very little extra money, and potentially make things a lot easier. Understanding your final destination would obviously help.

Edited by mtls2005

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is a very weird thread. The people to ask are not TV members but a travel agent. That's their job, not ours, to advise the best deal. They know stuff that we don't. Some airlines have a special deal for one week or whatever. Having said that, I managed to upgrade from Economy to Business Dubai to Bangkok on-line for 200 baht. And no, there is no 0 missing. I didn't have the cheapest Economy ticket though, and the e-ticket did state Special Fare.

Unfortunately, travel agents here can't be trusted. 

I noticed you said you would be using mileage when you got to the west coast. I used mileage 120,000 miles round trip from BKK to LAX in July on JAL in business. It was great, and you can go just one way for 70,000 in biz. They don't have any first class so it was excellent. I was actually only going one way in biz because of dates. But after being pampered I couldn't face the idea of returning in the cattle car and upgraded with mileage. I had a 12 hour layover in Osaka in the daytime going, but a friend picked me up and we had a nice Sunday in downtown Osaka.

On my last trip from the UK I paid just over £700 for Business Class on Emirates for the journey here. I didn't see it as VFM, OK Business Lounge in Gatwick and Dubai but you can only eat and drink so much and you have food on the plane anyway, there wasn't any food on display in Dubai although it was the middle night. The food on the plane was the same as Economy except it was served on plates.

Both journey's were on A380 planes, the staff outnumbered the passengers in Business Class, there was a very small Bar at the rear, probably accommodate 10/25 people..

The only benefit I could see was you could lie flat, mattress provided.if you wanted.

i think if you are doing a direct flight, 10/11 hours it would ok but for me there was no real benefit when you journey is split.

You can save a lot of money by using a discounter.  I have used this one:  [email protected], for about eight years, once or twice a year.  Usually round trip from SFO to BKK or BKK to SFO.  He has always got me better prices than I can find on my own.  One does have to be careful about which airline to fly and do some research online about seat selection, reviews etc.  You have to make sure that you're getting lie flat seats etc.  Too much detail for posting here.  Last time in January I had to get a one way for my wife and I SFO to BKK and that usually costs as much as round trip.  He got us two tickets in First Class for $4,000 total! That was a huge surprise but I think it was because we have used him frequently.  

Go to: https://www.kayak.com/flights and have a check.

Also has option under 'More options' to do Flexible dates.

That said, Chinese airlines offering some good rates depending on where your going.

All depends on which route your flying for the best airlines/business class & price for the route.

For your Bangkok-West USA, EVA Air probably good, and Cathay through HK.
Not sure what else.

Good luck and safe travels.

Edited by matador007
Add EVA

I really find it hard to understand some folks logic. If you are flying from A-B why, just because it's cheaper they take routes that take them from A -D - X then to B. All this hassle to save a few pennies.

i said at the start of this thread, keep clear of Chinese airlines that use Guangzhou, Beijing or shanghai as their bases because if you are ever able and lucky enough to be on a flight that lands, connects and then takes off on time then you should buy a lotto ticket.

only tonight I met the cousin of a Canadian friend here, who arrived from vancouver last night. He had to fly from Calgary to Vancouver, then changed flights to air China to Beijing, three hours delayed, then on arrival in Beijing boarded the Domestic  flight to Guangzhou and the flight was delayed four  hours and they had to remain on board with no air circulation, water, snacks etc. WELCOME TO CHINA, from Calgary to Guangzhou using a cheap airline 27 hours .... Got  the message, all this to save a buck or two. 

On September 14, 2016 at 5:44 PM, mtls2005 said:

This is a pretty wide-open question.

There are often four or more Business Class fare buckets, from highest price/most flexible to lowest price/least flexible. Add to that inventory on those buckets gets adjusted quite often. So there may be two lowest fare bucket seats on a particular flight 330 days out.

There are seasons: peak, high, shoulder, low.

What is your destination airport?

Is price your only factor? (Schedule, # of flights, seat, service, amenities, lounges, airline, alliance, connecting airport(s)) 

What is your budget?

What fares have you been seeing?

Just noticed the one-way travel part; that complicates the issue.

With a bit more detail your question might move into the realm of 'answerable'?

His question was straightforward and needs no more detail ... i.e., Which airline has cheapest one-way business class ticket from BKK to USA west coast?

1 hour ago, DipStick said:

I really find it hard to understand some folks logic. If you are flying from A-B why, just because it's cheaper they take routes that take them from A -D - X then to B. All this hassle to save a few pennies.

Because it isnt just a few pennies.

BKK>LHR>BKK in business on the only three airlines that fly direct will cost around GBP2000 or more. The same trip with other airlines can be had for barely half that, and the only penalty is a few hours on the flight time.  Also it introduces a bit of variety into the trip.

17 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Because it isnt just a few pennies.

BKK>LHR>BKK in business on the only three airlines that fly direct will cost around GBP2000 or more. The same trip with other airlines can be had for barely half that, and the only penalty is a few hours on the flight time.  Also it introduces a bit of variety into the trip.

I don't think you read these threads very thoroughly, at the very start I suggested Malaysian ( who if you look carefully are your next door neighbours) and possibly an hour away , by a connecting flight. Remember we are talking business class, and to LHR the only way I would travel, and this on the fantastic A 380.. I fly out of HK and their business class is 50%  cheaper than direct flights from HK with the likes of CX and the stop overs with the  ME Airlines. 

But going back on subject, the OP was not talking of flying to the uk he was talking stateside.

1 hour ago, DipStick said:

I don't think you read these threads very thoroughly, at the very start I suggested Malaysian ( who if you look carefully are your next door neighbours) and possibly an hour away , by a connecting flight. Remember we are talking business class, and to LHR the only way I would travel, and this on the fantastic A 380.. I fly out of HK and their business class is 50%  cheaper than direct flights from HK with the likes of CX and the stop overs with the  ME Airlines. 

But going back on subject, the OP was not talking of flying to the uk he was talking stateside.

It's just that you were saying in an earlier post that you always pay the extra to fly the most direct, shortest route because you don't like layovers. Now you're saying you fly via Hong Kong with Malaysian (with an extra layover) because it's cheaper?

On 9/14/2016 at 10:05 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

As mentioned, I know about the seasonal impacts and just need to get to the west coast. From the west coast I'll use miles to get to my final destination. I have no budget. I'm hoping to find something around $1500.usd.(one way) As someone mentioned, the Chinese carriers come up least expensive. I suppose I could go the other direction(middle east) if actually less expensive. Budget carriers are not going to fly across the Pacific ocean, at least I don't think they are yet. Thanks for the replies. O O and God Bless You. BTW, why haven't we heard by the Egypt Air plane crashed? They found the black boxes...just wondering. 

I would stay away from China airlines. My friend used the twice both times he had delays one time missed his connection. I typically fly delta but they are high about $4000 USD,

Check Singapore airlines they have specials as does Thai. As mentioned Malaysia is a good airline I have flown them a few times in first and they are good. 

I use something like Skyscanner to find out which airlines are offering the best fares, then try the airline websites to see if I can duplicate them direclty. I do not like to book through agencies like Expedia due to past problems with them.

I have an idea China Southern or similar will be offering the best Biz Class prices, but beware of long layovers in China.

Edited by jacko45k

14 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

I find it interesting that safety records of a lot of these airlines mentioned aren't taken into consideration. I wouldn't fly on many of them listed, regardless of cost.

I don't recall reading of any crashes due to safety? The delays in Chinese airports are more of a concern. The recent link shows one way in 18 hours on one of the Chinese airlines in British Pounds, about 1100 Pounds, for next month. 

finnair bkk - jfk - bkk might take almost a week out of your life...

I took that trip....not bad except for a layover of 8 HR in Helsinki going to Bkk. In November I will fly Finnair to BKK from Miami in Business Class. Only 20 1/2 HR from time I leave Miami. Great airline.

26 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I don't recall reading of any crashes due to safety?

I don't recall any crashes / major accidents NOT due to safety. Even MH17 can be partly attributed to safety. Airlines know full well the safety implications and route structures and choose to save a bit of fuel or asses the risk and deem it too great. Many airlines could have flown that route but elected not to due safety.

But I accept opinions vary, so best stick to safety rankings:

www.jacdec.de/airline-safety-ranking-2016/

Edited by ncc1701d

I think US airlines have free drinks in Econ for overseas flights.

i used to fly China quite a bit, good service and the lounge in Taipei is nice.

Flying UA in October for the (almost) first time since the dropped the bkk-nrt leg. Used to be a nice service.

On 9/14/2016 at 1:11 PM, Peterw42 said:

Others who travel that route may be able to advise, but keep in mind different airlines have a different opinion of "Business Class". 

Business class on a budget airline is sometimes only a slightly bigger seat and a pillow. 

Check out Korean Airlines....

Sales come and go i just booked R/T bkk miami us$2400 business class  great airline  qatarair

i would suggest KAYAK  . com   as the have great option list most airlines and many variables you can use as well as be notified of price changes

right now air china @us$1400 22 hours travel time

Edited by MANFROMBOCA
forgot

Sales come and go i just booked R/T bkk miami us$2400 business class  great airline

i would suggest KAYAK  . com   as the have great option list most airlines and many variables you can use as well as be notified of price changes

right now air china @us$1400 22 hours travel time

12 hours ago, Khun Han said:

It's just that you were saying in an earlier post that you always pay the extra to fly the most direct, shortest route because you don't like layovers. Now you're saying you fly via Hong Kong with Malaysian (with an extra layover) because it's cheaper?

Good point KH, but to explain, I do business in KL, so I tend to combine the business visit with my uk trips. MH are like CX , members of One World alliance with whom I own a gold card, so mileage is also very important to me. Let's put the prices Into perspective, a direct return flight HK-LHR with CX is approximately HK$ 60,000, whilst with MH via KL is HKD$ 25,000, meaning my wife and I can get two MH business class seats for less than one seat on CX, to make life even more comfortable MH use the fabulous A380 whilst CX the 777, and the final icing 

on the cake is the MH use T4 at LHR.

Another thing I have noted over the years is that generally airlines flying out of their home airport are higher priced , 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2016 at 0:53 AM, sgtsabai said:

I'm with GinBoy2. When I used to have to fly back and forth from the not friendly airports of the states some 7 years ago  I used China Air. I never flew EVA as China Air always was better for my schedule. Many friends did use EVA and they were quite happy with it, except like China Air  almost impossible to redeem miles for a free flight. I used mine to upgrade to business. Good lounge, good service, decent food, real fork, knife etc. in business, good eye candy and unlike the American airlines, you don't have to pay for your drinks even in cattle class. I got the best and cheapest flights for me directly from their website, sometimes took a bit of work and I found a discrepancy in one schedule, notified them and they fixed it, no reward though...lol. So you have to work the keyboard.

As an addition this, I concur about China Airlines and using miles.

I like China Airlines, I'm an Emerald Member, had a lot of miles. earlier this year I wanted to use my miles since they were going to expire in December, and booked a premium economy ticket, then tried to upgrade to Business.

The good news is that I did it, the bad news was you can't do it online, and it took, close to 2 hours on the phone over a couple of days to actually get it done