Fears online sex tape shame prompted suicide

webfact

Fears online sex tape shame prompted suicide

606x341_343970.jpg

ROME: -- An Italian woman who was subjected to online abuse after an explicit video of her went viral has killed herself.

Footage of Tiziana Cantone carrying out a sex act on a man was uploaded to the internet last year. She apparently made it in a bid to make her ex-boyfriend jealous.

It was later circulated on several social networks, including Facebook and WhatsApp leading to a blitz of online abuse and parodies. Despite trying to get the video taken down, it kept re-emerging and Cantone eventually left her native Naples and moved to rural Tuscany.

Experts in Italy say the case shows the real risks surrounding online platforms.

‘‘Many people are simply unaware of the dangers surrounding social networks. They are a world without limits in which once we’ve made a comment, posted an image: controlling these sites; controlling the files; becomes very difficult to manage,’‘ said Antonello Soro, President of the Italian Data Protection Authority.

An investigation has been launched into the 31-year-old’s suicide. Cantone is reported to have been in the process of legally changing her name when she died.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-15

great shame, these social media sites are a drug. why did she feel the need to keep going back on these sites, ? if she had ignored the sites then she would have never known, they just can't help it. rip. pretty lady. i have seen it in the UK when a young person has commited suicide because of twitter abuse, <deleted> dont go back on there .

Very sad about that girl, but would seem if you are horrified at the thought of a sex tape going public...then how about not making one? There again how many Hollywood minor stars have sex tapes conveniently released to boost their publicity?

Figure this one out. Recently in Oz 14 year old school boys got in serious trouble for sharing nude photos of female class mates. However there was no censure what so ever for the girls who posed for the photos. So in PC Oz perfectly OK for underage girls to pose nude, but not for the boys to share the photos the girls gave them in the first place.

She made the sex tape, she sent it to her ex-boyfriend in an attempt to make him jealous.  Maybe she committed suicide because she was depressed loosing the boyfriend maybe because the on-line abuse. Either way she should have thought her actions through a little more thoroughly. Parents, family, friends are the ones suffering her loss now. RIP :( 

Making such a video and posting it to someone who quite likely hates you doesn't seem like such a good idea.

I have a feeling she didn't think this through before acting. I read about this case elsewhere, she was apparently 'shaming' her husband / boyfriend and teasing him during the video clip.

Some people are so dumb it's amazing they make it to adulthood.

4 hours ago, nausea said:

I agree. A beautiful woman lost to the world. Bèen there, done that, got the T-shirt, love ain't worth it. Unless you're in love, then it is. Anyone who doesn't understand where this woman is coming from doesn't understand women.

I'm guilty then; I don't understand women.