Expat director Paul Spurrier talks about making ‘The Forest,’ his supernatural film set in Isaan

snoop1130

Expat director Paul Spurrier talks about making ‘The Forest,’ his supernatural film set in Isaan

By Alastair Newport

forestboy.jpg

A still from The Forest. All photos: Paul Spurrier

Opening tonight at SF Cinema Terminal 21, is an eerie new supernatural horror film called The Forest.

Set in Isaan, and featuring improvised dialog from local villagers, you might assume that The Forest comes from the mind of a young Thai filmmaker wanting to rebel against the big-budget action movies constantly in the theaters and make a name for himself – but no.

The Forest is the vision of Paul Spurrier, a British expat filmmaker and owner of one of Bangkok’s best-kept secrets, a plush little bar and movie theater called Friese-Greene Club.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/15/expat-director-paul-spurrier-talks-about-making-forest-his-supernatural-film-set-isaan

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-09-15

I loved Paul Spurrier's last film 'P' 2006. Excellent scary movie in which a young orphan girl is taught the ways of magic by her grandmother. But when grandmother falls sick, Dau is lured to Bangkok to find work so that she can buy medicine. She finds herself working in a go-go bar, and her journey from naiveté to maturity is swift. She uses the magical skills her grandmother taught her to her advantage, but in doing so makes enemies within the bar. As her magic gets darker, and the consequences increasingly horrific, she gradually loses control, and something evil takes over.

Hope The Forrest is of similar quality.

1473941018933.jpg1473941038960.jpg

Hi.

Thanks to those who remember the film 'P'. 

'The Forest' is a very different film. 

Because much of the story of 'P' took place in a Bangkok go-go bar, and it was completed just as Senator Purachai was launching a 'morality' drive, it did not make me very popular in Thailand. In fact, one international festival received a call from the local Thai consulate asking them not to show it.

And 'The Forest' is not a horror film. 

One of the things that has always irritated me here is that television and even films are so often about look-kreung middle-class, beautiful young Bangkokians stressing about their petty issues of which flawlessly pretty girl is trying to steal which coiffured and perfumed gentleman. 

There's so much talent here. And so much potential. And yet the masses are just kept on a diet of mindlessly crappy television.

The only time you ever see a dark-skinned up-country actress is usually when they play the part of the maid.

And yet anyone who has been here for any time at all can tell you dozens of great stories of heartbreak, deception, personal crisis and real moral dilemmas. 

I find Thailand to be just bursting at the seams with drama. Yet this is very rarely reflected in popular entertainment.

Everything I did in 'The Forest' was really to try to do something different.

It's set in Isaan.

It's not about rich people.

The actors sweat.

Nobody lives in a condo.

The best entertainment for guys in an evening is to get drunk.

We've all heard stories about ghosts. We've all seen the depth of the belief that Thai people have in a spirit world.

But it seems that for the most part, ghosts in movies (not just from Thailand) exist simply to jump out, crawl out, or appear behind you for the purposes of terrifying you to death. I couldn't help feeling that in a culture that is so closely connected to spirituality, the spirits must have some greater depths.

Anyway... we made the film.

And of course because it's not about rich, beautiful, young Bangkokians, Thai people will probably stay away in their droves...

A quick correction - 'The Forest' is actually screening at SF World Cinema, Central World - not Terminal 21.

The first three nights are sponsored by Peroni.

If you book at:

http://theforestthefilm.com/premieretickets.html

you can join the after-parties at the Friese-Greene Club, and there's free beer.

Paul Spurrier

Director 'The Forest'

Edited by ranma500

1 hour ago, ranma500 said:

Hi.

Thanks to those who remember the film 'P'. 

'The Forest' is a very different film. 

Because much of the story of 'P' took place in a Bangkok go-go bar, and it was completed just as Senator Purachai was launching a 'morality' drive, it did not make me very popular in Thailand. In fact, one international festival received a call from the local Thai consulate asking them not to show it.

And 'The Forest' is not a horror film. 

One of the things that has always irritated me here is that television and even films are so often about look-kreung middle-class, beautiful young Bangkokians stressing about their petty issues of which flawlessly pretty girl is trying to steal which coiffured and perfumed gentleman. 

There's so much talent here. And so much potential. And yet the masses are just kept on a diet of mindlessly crappy television.

The only time you ever see a dark-skinned up-country actress is usually when they play the part of the maid.

And yet anyone who has been here for any time at all can tell you dozens of great stories of heartbreak, deception, personal crisis and real moral dilemmas. 

I find Thailand to be just bursting at the seams with drama. Yet this is very rarely reflected in popular entertainment.

Everything I did in 'The Forest' was really to try to do something different.

It's set in Isaan.

It's not about rich people.

The actors sweat.

Nobody lives in a condo.

The best entertainment for guys in an evening is to get drunk.

We've all heard stories about ghosts. We've all seen the depth of the belief that Thai people have in a spirit world.

But it seems that for the most part, ghosts in movies (not just from Thailand) exist simply to jump out, crawl out, or appear behind you for the purposes of terrifying you to death. I couldn't help feeling that in a culture that is so closely connected to spirituality, the spirits must have some greater depths.

Anyway... we made the film.

And of course because it's not about rich, beautiful, young Bangkokians, Thai people will probably stay away in their droves...

A quick correction - 'The Forest' is actually screening at SF World Cinema, Central World - not Terminal 21.

The first three nights are sponsored by Peroni.

If you book at:

http://theforestthefilm.com/premieretickets.html

you can join the after-parties at the Friese-Greene Club, and there's free beer.

Paul Spurrier

Director 'The Forest'

Best of luck with this. Hope it's a great success. :)

I remember the film P from back in its day. Still have the DVD knocking around somewhere.

The teacher in The Forest looks to be the lead actor from Beautiful Boxer (2004), Asanee Suwan.

Edited by katana