Thai Tourist Visa from Jakarta, Indonesia

Hi dear members,

I need your inputs as I'm planning to ask for a tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Jakarta. The info I have so far comes from here and here.

- It says the process takes 3 working days, which is longer than what I'm used to in KL and Vientiane, can anyone confirm that ? Should I be ok if I give everything on Wednesday morning to have it back on Friday evening ?

- A plane ticket in and out of Thailand must be provided. Can the flight out of Thailand be 89 (or so) days after I enter Thailand, as I'm planning to extend the 60 days visa for 30 days more in Bangkok. Can the flight out be to any country ?

- Accommodation evidence : I'm currently renting out a place in Bkk and have some electric bills with my name on it, would that work ? Or should I ask a letter from a Thai friend that he's housing me as a tourist is not supposed to live in Bkk ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your lights.

A lease document should work for accommodation, in place of a hotel booking.  This is common to use when applying for SETVs where this is required, and I recall that it was accepted for the now-defunct triple-entries from Bali.  Many do not rent a hotel for 2+ months, and unless one has a new "clean" passport, they know you've been here for awhile, anyway.

Not sure on the plane-ticket timing - I was wondering about that question, myself, in case I go to one of the more troublesome consulates.  Does anyone know if this is another "varies  by consulate" question?

I do know that certain consulates require the onward ticket to be within 60 days of arrival. The logic is that an extension, in theory, is not automatic but at the discretion of the immigration official. Thus, they want "proof" you are only staying a maximum of 60 days. Probably, some consulates that require an onward ticket are not so picky.

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

A lease document should work for accommodation, in place of a hotel booking.  This is common to use when applying for SETVs where this is required, and I recall that it was accepted for the now-defunct triple-entries from Bali.  Many do not rent a hotel for 2+ months, and unless one has a new "clean" passport, they know you've been here for awhile, anyway.

Not sure on the plane-ticket timing - I was wondering about that question, myself, in case I go to one of the more troublesome consulates.  Does anyone know if this is another "varies  by consulate" question?

Again, "tourists" generally don't have apartment leases  (which by definition are for a year or longer) for apartments in the cities they are "visiting." It will show you are not a tourist. 

14 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Again, "tourists" generally don't have apartment leases  (which by definition are for a year or longer) for apartments in the cities they are "visiting." It will show you are not a tourist. 

Not all that unusual for a tourist to rent a place to stay. A rental agreement can also be done on a month to month basis with an open ended validity period.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not all that unusual for a tourist to rent a place to stay. A rental agreement can also be done on a month to month basis with an open ended validity period.

True, but leases were mentioned. It is also a bit odd for a tourist to have a place rented for a month (or month to month)...genuine tourists generally travel from place to place, spending a few days to a week in any one place.

If the Jak office is anything like the Bali Consulate, then you'll have to meet quite a few different criteria, including funds in a bank account, hotel bookings for a week and flights in and out. I booked a cheap flight to Singapore 60 days after entry and then extended on-line (for a small fee) for another 30 once inside Thailand. Timings have been fine, drop--off in the am and then pick-up after lunch in 3 days time.

When you drop the passport off, might be worth checking Friday working hrs as a lot of offices close for a while since Friday lunchtime is the largest prayer time.

The Thai Embassy in Jakarta is right in the centre of town, lots of hotels nearby or you can stay on Jl Jaksa / Jl Wahid Hasyim which is walking distance. Traffic in Jakarta is an absolute nightmare and you're advised to use the TJ buses to get around if possible.

I've been to the Thai Embassy in Jakarta once and the impression I got was that they're more set-up for processing visa requests from Indonesian citizens going on holiday for a week or so, rather than travelers / people passing through.

21 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

True, but leases were mentioned. It is also a bit odd for a tourist to have a place rented for a month (or month to month)...genuine tourists generally travel from place to place, spending a few days to a week in any one place.

Some consulates require you show you have a place to stay.  They do not require you have hotel bookings in various locales not exceeding specified maximum lengths of time (thank goodness).  I have not yet heard of a case where a condo-lease was rejected.

Thai laws define a "genuine tourist" as someone who is not working and financially self-supported.  If that sounds conspicuously similar to "retired" - yes, it does - and many under-50s here meet that definition.  The consulates are generally aware of this, which is why some consulates accept a long-running (years) Thai bank account as proof of financials (I recently did this).

21 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

"Tourists" generally don't have local utility bills from the city they are "visiting" in their own name...so they probably wouldn't help; and in fact, they might give up the jig that you're not really a tourist at all.

Sad you have to explain that. Tourist visas for tourists???????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, londoedan said:

If the Jak office is anything like the Bali Consulate, then you'll have to meet quite a few different criteria, including funds in a bank account, hotel bookings for a week and flights in and out. I booked a cheap flight to Singapore 60 days after entry and then extended on-line (for a small fee) for another 30 once inside Thailand. Timings have been fine, drop--off in the am and then pick-up after lunch in 3 days time.

When you drop the passport off, might be worth checking Friday working hrs as a lot of offices close for a while since Friday lunchtime is the largest prayer time.

The Thai Embassy in Jakarta is right in the centre of town, lots of hotels nearby or you can stay on Jl Jaksa / Jl Wahid Hasyim which is walking distance. Traffic in Jakarta is an absolute nightmare and you're advised to use the TJ buses to get around if possible.

I've been to the Thai Embassy in Jakarta once and the impression I got was that they're more set-up for processing visa requests from Indonesian citizens going on holiday for a week or so, rather than travelers / people passing through.

I didn't find the traffic in Jakarta that bad...certainly no worse than Bangkok. In general, taxi rides around North Jakarta were no problem...cross-city runs and trips to the airport can take an hour or more, however.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

On 9/17/2016 at 10:36 AM, londoedan said:

Timings have been fine, drop--off in the am and then pick-up after lunch in 3 days time.

Which means that I would need to drop it off on Tuesday morning if I want it ready on Friday evening ? Or do you think Wednesday morning could work ?

A quick update regarding the 3 working days rule : I just called the consulate and they confirmed that it is possible to apply on Wednesday morning and get it on Friday evening.

Now, let's see what really happens when I'm there, will update that thread once I'm back to the Land of Smiles for anyone's future reference.

• Like 1