PM launches Startup Thailand in Phuket

rooster59

PM launches Startup Thailand in Phuket

1_201691712853164_cCzfYDWbZwEVClKCjRTAyHyFIzqvuMFXPFCnIYPh_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-o-cha officially launched 'Startup Thailand' and 'Digital Thailand' 2016 at the Duangjitt Resort & Spa in Patong yesterday. 

The regional launch of this nationwide initiative is aimed at helping budding local businesses to get off the ground and into the international arena of digital commerce. 

The Startup Thailand 2016 campaign was launched by the prime minister in Bangkok back in April, as a joint government and private sector collaboration between 11 agencies to bring businesses up to date with contemporary international commercial practices and trends (story here).

The Prime Minister also spoke of ‘Phuket as a Smart City & Startup Paradise’.

“Startup Thailand is one of our programs to boost the Thai economy through creativity and Information Technology. Phuket has a lot of potential – last year 13.2 million tourists (of which 9.5 million were foreigners) contributed more than 313,300 million baht" to the Thai economy, said PM Prayuth.

Full story:  http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/PM-launches-Startup-Thailand-Phuket/65584?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-09-17

At least he has taken a step in the right direction by helping small businesses, unlike most countries today.

Small businesses are the key to growth and prosperity.

I'm thankful he is keeping an eye on things as he is protecting the sovereignty of Thailand.  

12 minutes ago, Kabula said:

At least he has taken a step in the right direction by helping small businesses, unlike most countries today.

Small businesses are the key to growth and prosperity.

I'm thankful he is keeping an eye on things as he is protecting the sovereignty of Thailand.  

Have you been drinking?...

13 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Under the watchful eye of Big Brother who is monitoring you all the time

Was thinking the same and with the single gateway information from outside will be limited and vetted.  Prayuth previously said he didn't want Thailand being corrupted by foreign influence.  

5 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Was thinking the same and with the single gateway information from outside will be limited and vetted.  Prayuth previously said he didn't want Thailand being corrupted by foreign influence.  

To late!  The foreigners are winning over the minds and stomachs of  Thai kids everywhere!

11 minutes ago, BSJ said:

To late!  The foreigners are winning over the minds and stomachs of  Thai kids everywhere!

Wasn't there a post a while back that some youngsters didn't know McDonalds wasn't a Thai company ?

Thai brainwashing is more than a match for carefully controlled foreign news and internet !    :D

6 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Wasn't there a post a while back that some youngsters didn't know McDonalds wasn't a Thai company ?

Thai brainwashing is more than a match for carefully controlled foreign news and internet !    :D

Cant be true. I love big mak mak's

Taking an objective view,

- most companies here have appalling non-functional websites

- almost all governmental websites are again non-functional or very user-unfriendly

- website designers here have a fascination with flashing features, pop-up sound especially songs and over use of colour

- data protection is non-existent

- digital commerce usually involves transferring money to somebody's private bank account

- escrow services are usually not used which in turn makes both buyers and sellers mutually distrustful

On a personal note,

-things I would achieve from my home in the UK require one or more trips to shops, photocopy centres or government offices in order to achieve the same result.

Thailand has a long road ahead of it in the world of digital commerce.

Moving on to Phuket, I believe this is a rehash of an idea from around 10 years ago when Phuket was touted as an international I.T. hub. Nothing ever happened. Although it has become popular with international ATM hacking rings.

If he wants a digital Thailand, create a simple visa and tax incentive for foreigners who are already working in this field under the radar, and watch this place explode with digital start ups. 

Otherwise, it's a pipe dream.