18 cars and trucks involved in a road accident in Surat Thani

webfact

18 cars and trucks involved in a road accident in Surat Thani

IMG_4749-wpcf_693x413.png

SURAT THANI: -- A road accident involving 18 vehicles of different kinds took place on the road between Na Sarn district and Surat Thani Monday morning but, fortunately, there was no death.

The pile-up apparently stemmed from a cement mixer truck whose driver lost control causing the truck to climb on the road island. A huge crane was then brought in to remove the truck from the road island.

The cement mixer truck was freed from the road island and as it was moving slowly followed by several other cars, a trailer truck laden with mineral ores was descending from a steep road.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/18-cars-trucks-involved-road-accident-surat-thani/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-20

"...The pile-up apparently stemmed from a cement mixer truck whose driver lost control causing the truck to climb on the road island..."

Well, there you go then - here's me thinking the speeding trailer truck "descending from a steep road" slamming into a row of cars may have had something to contribute.

low_gear.jpg

35 minutes ago, waldroj said:

"...The pile-up apparently stemmed from a cement mixer truck whose driver lost control causing the truck to climb on the road island..."

Well, there you go then - here's me thinking the speeding trailer truck "descending from a steep road" slamming into a row of cars may have had something to contribute.

low_gear.jpg

This shows the great ability of Thais to take a simple idea and mangle it beyond all recognition.

I drove through the intersection just up from the accident yesterday, I drive through here a few times a week. The cars/trucks are all going well over 100k and its the start of a built up area not far from the university, the trucks are the worst offenders as they refuse to slow down and swerve through the cars like they are in a race, the fact the speed limit is supposed to be 80 k is totally ignored and like most of the drivers here they are all right up each others bums so that when one car stops they all run up their ar*e. Until such time that the police actually get out of the air conditioned offices and start to patrol the roads to stop all the idiots that refuse to obey the road signs/laws this will continue, all heavy vehicles need to have speed limiters so they are unable to go this fast, they are all maniacs with no regard to anyone else on the road. The actual road in this section is not steep and in Australia would not have a steep sign up, it is small hill with a speed limit that everyone ignores, at the bottom of it is the university and shops etc and students are forever being collected by the trucks/cars speeding through the area

Have you ever tried to explain to a Thai , that " tailgating " is extremely dangerous. ?, and the chances of having a serious accident are increased exponentialy due to reaction times poor visibility Etc

I tried the other day, and explained that at 40 Km / hour speed, the reaction time alone would be a distance of around 30 Meters

Of course, being a Farang, I was told that we always drive like that in Thailand with no problems, and farang need to learn to drive

Says it all really - doesnt it.

34 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Have you ever tried to explain to a Thai , that " tailgating " is extremely dangerous. ?, and the chances of having a serious accident are increased exponentialy due to reaction times poor visibility Etc

I tried the other day, and explained that at 40 Km / hour speed, the reaction time alone would be a distance of around 30 Meters

Of course, being a Farang, I was told that we always drive like that in Thailand with no problems, and farang need to learn to drive

Says it all really - doesnt it.

After driving in Asia for a long period of time, I have always been amazed at the "Asian Driving Mentality" which seems to be concentrate on the vehicle directly in the front and only that vehicle. In the western world it is taught and you are expected to concentrate on five or six vehicles in front. I see it every day, especially on the expressways here in China, of brake lights coming on maybe 600m up the road, but the four cars directly in front of me are then forced into what are almost emergency braking situations , totally ludicrous and terrifyingly dangerous.