New Olympus E-M1 II

• 1 month later...

Could be a good time to pick up an E-M1 Mk1?  It's still a great little camera and should be some discounts.

But for me the sensor is too small in micro 4/3 bodies, that's why I moved to an APS-C sized sensor.  It's not image quality or low light performance that concerned me, it's just the physics of small sensors means that it's tough to get a narrow enough depth of field for portrait photography.  I like the out of focus background effect, and with the Olympus or Lumix bodies you need a very wide aperture prime lens (and/or a long focal length) to get the effect.  With APC-C and bigger sensors you can use a wide range of lenses and even kit zooms to make the subject stand out using a narrow DOF.

But if that's not an issue for your style of photography, then the OMD E-M1 Mk II plus Olympus lenses will be a great camera system that's easy to carry around.  And the image stabilization is a big bonus too.

Fortunately the lens selection with M43 is fantastic,  plenty of fast primes or telephotos to choose from. This with the Nocticron 42.5 at F1.2:

28571963661_4fb6f4d5bf_b.jpgOL306423 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

This with the cheap and tiny Olympus 45mm F1.8

28163185720_cac677abd0_o.jpgPB030547 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

This with the 40-150mm F2.8

24705014700_c29f2b2ef0_o.jpgOL137897-2 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

And this with the stellar 75mm F1.8:
22474117580_4f33233cdf_o.jpgPA310087 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Which rather goes to show I have too many lenses...

On 03/11/2016 at 0:45 PM, Familyonthemove said:

Could be a good time to pick up an E-M1 Mk1?  It's still a great little camera and should be some discounts.

I agree with that.

And as MFT seems perfect to me for what I do, I'm waiting some more months before searching for an E-M1 MK1 body...

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk2 body only, released price in Europe: 1999 Euros

That's about THB 76000 today!

:shock1:

With 12-40 f/2.8 lens: 2599 Euros

In Europe prices of photographic gear are going up an up...

:sad:

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2016 at 9:48 PM, FracturedRabbit said:

Camera of the year at Imaging Resource: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/12/08/camera-of-the-year-2016-best-overall

Released in Thailand today. I am currently charging the battery...

Looking forward to thoughts and impressions.  I know it will take time to sort out all this camera has to offer, so being patient.  :)

Is it all that?

17 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Looking forward to thoughts and impressions.  I know it will take time to sort out all this camera has to offer, so being patient.  :)

Is it all that?

All that. And more. Quite extraordinary. Have shot 3,000 images in two days (admittedly only half that in shutter actuations because I was shooting RAW+JPEG) at a watersports event. Focus acquisition: immediate, tracking focus, very high keeper rate, improved IQ;  and just super fast at everything. Up to 18 frames a second with auto focus, 60 frames a second with single focus, 4k video, highlight and shadow warning showing instantaneously in the EVF. It's a monster of a machine. If you feel the need for speed, this is it!

I took a sequence of 23 frames,  at 18 frames a second, shooting into the afternoon sun at a windsurfer planing then turning at high speed. 20 frames were pin sharp, 1 was usable with sharpening, 2 were soft. This is high DSLR sports shooter territory.

EM121559.jpg

Thanks for sharing, FR. Nice camera of course...

And in the mean time...

On 03/11/2016 at 0:45 PM, Familyonthemove said:

Actually it's beginning:

Just browsing eBay yesterday I could see E-M1 Mk1 bodies at the discounted price of THB 22000 new in box from South Korea with free shipping to Thailand...

:shock1::thumbsup:

Time to save some money maybe...

14 hours ago, gobs said:

Thanks for sharing, FR. Nice camera of course...

And in the mean time...

Actually it's beginning:

Just browsing eBay yesterday I could see E-M1 Mk1 bodies at the discounted price of THB 22000 new in box from South Korea with free shipping to Thailand...

:shock1::thumbsup:

Time to save some money maybe...

Good price!

• 1 month later...

Archived