Corn Tortillas anywhere in Thailand

fanof3d

I buy the El Charro brand,  in the frozen section at makro. They also sell the mix so you can press them yourself.  Also sell them pre cut for chips. I bought a pack my mistake. Glad I did. You fry them for a min and they turn out great. The pack makes a heap of chips.

Edited by NickJ
None

32 minutes ago, fanof3d said:

At Tops all I've seen our FLOUR tortillas but not corn.  If you've seen them in Chiang Mai, I can probably have them ordered to CR.

Can you confirm that they were indeed corn?

I can confirm that corn tortilla's are available in loads of large supermarkets and smaller speciality stores, Makro is another good choice. But yes, to answer your question, Tops does sell corn tortilla's. El Charo and Danita (sp) are the typical brands.

Wow, have never seen here in Chiang Rai at Tops or Makro but smaller city so makes sense.  The next time you go to Tops, could you snap a quick image so I can show the lady who orders items?  They are pretty good at ordering stuff if you ask for specifics.  I'm stoked though.   

Now I can have a real taco, haha.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

I buy the El Charro brand,  in the frozen section at makro. They also sell the mix so you can press them yourself.  Also sell them pre cut for chips. I bought a pack my mistake. Glad I did. You fry them for a min and they turn out great. The pack makes a heap of chips.

I'm going to double check Makro again when I go.  You say they are in the frozen section?  Probably won't have here in CR but will definitely check.  Thanks for your help.

17 minutes ago, fanof3d said:

Wow, have never seen here in Chiang Rai at Tops or Makro but smaller city so makes sense.  The next time you go to Tops, could you snap a quick image so I can show the lady who orders items?  They are pretty good at ordering stuff if you ask for specifics.  I'm stoked though.   

Now I can have a real taco, haha.

I put that task on my to do list!

15 minutes ago, NickJ said:

They should have them. They do at the Rayong Makro. Just look for yourself. Don't believe them if they say they don't have them. I asked at first and all I got was the usual Mai mee.

Okay, will do.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll let you know if I find them this weekend.  Fingers crossed.

On 9/20/2016 at 4:57 AM, fanof3d said:

Okay, will do.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll let you know if I find them this weekend.  Fingers crossed.

I'll agree with others, have found them in Makro in Hua Hin and Chumphon.  But, they usually don't have a big supply and sometimes you have to dig in the frozen section.  Look for doughs, breads, and flour tortillas.

As an aside, does anywhere sell the masa harina to make them?

On 9/21/2016 at 8:38 AM, migrant said:

I'll agree with others, have found them in Makro in Hua Hin and Chumphon.  But, they usually don't have a big supply and sometimes you have to dig in the frozen section.  Look for doughs, breads, and flour tortillas.

As an aside, does anywhere sell the masa harina to make them?

I'd be surprised if you could even find that here in Thailand. If any place would stock them, Villa Market would probably be your best bet.

Also some Foodland and Max Value stores stock corn tortillas and jarred salsa.

Don't know if we are all talking the same thing, Corn vs Flour Tortillas. Flour tortilla's you can get pretty easily. Corn tortilla's I've never found here.

Now I'm not in Bangkok, Khon Kaen, but even when I've been in BKK never seen corn

On 9/24/2016 at 3:48 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Don't know if we are all talking the same thing, Corn vs Flour Tortillas. Flour tortilla's you can get pretty easily. Corn tortilla's I've never found here.

Now I'm not in Bangkok, Khon Kaen, but even when I've been in BKK never seen corn

Can only speak for myself, but, yes, I have bought corn tortillas here.  Having lived in Los Angeles many years, numerous trips to mexico, and make flour tortillas by myself, am sure:smile: