Taxi To Bangkok

CRUNCHER

Have not seen much recently on taxis. What is the latest? Where can you pick one up - level 1, Public Tranportation Centre??

Level 1 : very easy ounce you have found the escalator which will bring you and you luggage there. You could perhaps have to wait two or three minutes.

Departure level : never tried it but seems also very easy and arriving taxis are obviously looking for passengers going back to BKK.

It's also very easy to get a taxi at the departures level, just like it was at Don Muang. I have done it four times now and never had to wait even a minute. Last time I did this, it was directly in front of one of the traffic officers there. The taxi I got in to had just dropped off a passenger and no money was paid by the driver to any officers, contrary to what is stated in the Nation story today.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/26/hea...es_30020043.php

Following last night's debacle, I would not be surprised if they begin enforcing the rules (for a while) and not allowing taxis at the departure level to take on passengers.

Can you give us a clue what to expect to pay and how long it takes in a taxi from airport to Khoa San Road or that area?

[quote name='batami' date='2006-11-27 02:42:54' post='1004232'

Ignore touts - follow signs for TAXI to level 1. Find them outside exit doors (50 m to Taxi stand) Generally Queue short - I have experienced no problem in last four visits

Can you give us a clue what to expect to pay and how long it takes in a taxi from airport to Khoa San Road or that area?

Ignore touts - follow signs for TAXI to level 1. Find them outside exit doors (50 m to Taxi stand) Generally Queue short - I have experienced no problem in last four visits

Better way: take a (free) shuttle bus to the Public Transport Terminal (about 5 to 10 min.) Take bus 556 (says Southern Terminal, but meaning Sai Tai) to KhaoSarn. It stops across the National Lottery Office, from there it's a 5 min. walk to Khoasarn. Costs 35 baht. Bus takes the express way and enters BKK at the exit Pitsanulok Road. From there, over Lan Luang to Ratchadamdoen Rd, pass Democracy monument and there you are.

For people who need to be early at the airport (i made this trip at 5 in the morning) it's an excellent alternative for a taxi. Took me 35 min. to get to the airport. Back, was different. I left the airport arround 8.30u and it was traffic all over BKK, but that could be expected.

Thanks for that useful info. We have used the bus from the old airport several times but never from the new one. Thanks again. :o

Better way: take a (free) shuttle bus to the Public Transport Terminal (about 5 to 10 min.) Take bus 556 (says Southern Terminal, but meaning Sai Tai) to KhaoSarn. It stops across the National Lottery Office, from there it's a 5 min. walk to Khoasarn. Costs 35 baht. Bus takes the express way and enters BKK at the exit Pitsanulok Road. From there, over Lan Luang to Ratchadamdoen Rd, pass Democracy monument and there you are.

For people who need to be early at the airport (i made this trip at 5 in the morning) it's an excellent alternative for a taxi. Took me 35 min. to get to the airport. Back, was different. I left the airport arround 8.30u and it was traffic all over BKK, but that could be expected.

Jamilla, Tonight i'm bringing my parents from khaosarn to the airport, at 2300u. Then can give you exact numbers and times...

I expect about 400 baht, incl. tollway, and 'airport surcharge'...

But take note of this: Taxi fees to and from the airport depend on what time you go and leave. If you leave BKK at 1600u, expect to pay much more as traffic starting to be a mess. Same for morning hours, leave at 0800u and traffic is bad.

from khaosarn to the airport by taxi is about 400 baht. I did it for 340 bht last night. Brought my parents to the airport. On the meter, no 'special deals'. 65 for the toll ways. (40 for the first one, 25 for the second) and 50 for the airport surcharge. We left at 23.00u and 35 min. later we were at the airport. Fast and not to expensive.

Back was different. As my friend came with me, we decided to split up. He takes a taxi and i took the bus, number 556. He took a taxi at the departures level, were the taxi's drop off people. It is not allowed to pick up people there but at 00.30u there are no security guards... So he made it back, 35 min. back to khaosarn. 240 on the meter and 65 for the toll ways. No 50 bht !!! I went with the bus, had to wait 1 hour for it. So at 01.30u i left from the airport and 35 min. later i was at Khaosarn. For 35 baht, this was oke.

If your not in a rush or carrying to much lugage, the bus is a fine alternative. If you are in a rush and don't mind the money, take a taxi.

Note: the busses don't drive on a schedule. So, it might be possible that you have to wait a while to get a bus. However, the information counter at the public transport terminal is very usefull and gives you all kinds of alternitive routes to the city. You can take the 552 bus to and get out on sukumvit. From there bus 511 to khaosarn... And so on. Just ask them, they speak good english and were very helpfull at 01.00 in the morning !!

from khaosarn to the airport by taxi is about 400 baht. I did it for 340 bht last night. Brought my parents to the airport. On the meter, no 'special deals'. 65 for the toll ways. (40 for the first one, 25 for the second) and 50 for the airport surcharge. We left at 23.00u and 35 min. later we were at the airport. Fast and not to expensive.

Back was different. As my friend came with me, we decided to split up. He takes a taxi and i took the bus, number 556. He took a taxi at the departures level, were the taxi's drop off people. It is not allowed to pick up people there but at 00.30u there are no security guards... So he made it back, 35 min. back to khaosarn. 240 on the meter and 65 for the toll ways. No 50 bht !!! I went with the bus, had to wait 1 hour for it. So at 01.30u i left from the airport and 35 min. later i was at Khaosarn. For 35 baht, this was oke.

If your not in a rush or carrying to much lugage, the bus is a fine alternative. If you are in a rush and don't mind the money, take a taxi.

Note: the busses don't drive on a schedule. So, it might be possible that you have to wait a while to get a bus. However, the information counter at the public transport terminal is very usefull and gives you all kinds of alternitive routes to the city. You can take the 552 bus to and get out on sukumvit. From there bus 511 to khaosarn... And so on. Just ask them, they speak good english and were very helpfull at 01.00 in the morning !!

Why did you pay a 50 baht surcharge GOING to the airport?

Is that the deal now?

There's no surcharge going to the airport.

If the taxi driver asked for it, he was taking the piss. If you offered it to him, he probably couldnt believe his luck.

The surcharge only applies to picking up taxis FROM the airport. It is to compensate the driver for a fee he has to pay to be able to sit and wait for fares at the airport.

Ok, so how tough should I expect this to be? I should arrive, clear immigration and be getting into a taxi around 430pm midweek. How long should the ride be to Ploen Chit? 1hr? 2hr? more?

My first experience with taxis at Suwannapum was not the best. I live in Pathum Thani (not far from Don Muang, I was used to be conveniently located). No taxi from the official arrival area would take me there on a meter. There is a big sign that says "fees is determined by meter, tollways and 50 baht airport surcharge). So, why do you propose me a flat rate? Ok, Pathum Thani is not downtown, but I am not asking to be taken to Lampang either!...

It's the first time that no taxi would take me on a meter. When I walked away other drivers would approach me, but none of them would take me on a meter. I am a farang but can speak thai, didn't help. I am not sure I would have saved (well, I think I would have saved some, taxi fare is about 4.5 baht/ km, they asked for 600 baht for a 70-80 km trip, add toll and surcharge, there is still room), but it's the concept I was looking for.

With hindsight, it was better I walked away, I took a 35 baht bus to Rangsit and from there a 100 baht (meter) taxi home.

Matcube

Taxis are under no obligation to take you anywhere - it's a straightforward offer and acceptance arrangement. It's not unusual in any major city in the world for taxi drivers to not use the meter (or to use meter doubled, for example) for out of the way places, usually outside the metropolitan area. And the reason is obvious - they are less likely to get a fare coming back.

Having said that, sounds like you found a good solution.

hi, just to say I myself took the metered taxi to and from the new airport 5 times both directions, I never paid 50baht surcharge, neither going to or coming from, going from sukumvit soi 4 around 200 baht plus 65 baht for tollway, shure some taxidriver ask you a set fee around 500 baht but just let him go his way.

coming from the airport just up to the depart.level and of you are with no extra fee and you can chose the car get a newer one it is more comfy expect to pay the same around 200 baht plus tollway, dont let them go towards bang na it takes far longer and is more costly