Charlotte shooting: family releases video of Keith L Scott's last moments

rooster59

19 minutes ago, DM07 said:

The question was not, if more white or black people have been killed by cops!

The question to all the "all lives matter  and for black lives I don't care"- crowd was: are there any incidences recorded, where black cops kill white unarmed men!

In a quantity anywhere near, what we see now, with unarmed black people being killed by white cops!

Is there a white Tamir Rice a white Eric Garner?

Where?

Google is your friend.  And as I said before, there are no easy answers.

As for your comment "all lives matter  and for black lives I don't care", that's just trolling.  I've yet to see somebody say a black life doesn't matter.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Us Brits just do not realize what it must be like to be a cop in America,in the UK it is so rare for anyone to carry a gun that the police are not worried when they pull someone over,to be blunt in the city's in America when we read about it ,it sounds like the wild west, I reckon if I was a cop there I would be very wary, also as I read it this guy had already been in prison for shooting someone,and other offences,not exactly Mr upright decent citizen

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Google is your friend.  And as I said before, there are no easy answers.

As for your comment "all lives matter  and for black lives I don't care", that's just trolling.  I've yet to see somebody say a black life doesn't matter.

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence!

I am NOT going to google anything!

Clutch Clark brought up that strawman...so...I am waiting!

Edited by DM07

1 hour ago, i claudius said:

Us Brits just do not realize what it must be like to be a cop in America,in the UK it is so rare for anyone to carry a gun that the police are not worried when they pull someone over,to be blunt in the city's in America when we read about it ,it sounds like the wild west, I reckon if I was a cop there I would be very wary, also as I read it this guy had already been in prison for shooting someone,and other offences,not exactly Mr upright decent citizen

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Guns are a big problem in the US.  But with the exception of random attacks (of which there are quite a few), it's not really of notice to the average person.  I never saw a gun in public.  I never saw a shootout.  I never had a problem with a cop.  Never.  Then again, I didn't travel in dodgy neighborhoods.  I was lucky and lived in upscale neighborhoods.  I'm sure if you lived in Harlem, your experiences would be 100% different.  Sadly.

Becareful what you see in the news.  A lot is just click bait.

With respect....

56 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence!

I am NOT going to google anything!

Clutch Clark brought up that strawman...so...I am waiting!

Being educated on these things is a good thing.  You need to take the time to research this stuff and find out for yourself.  Not just rely on others.  Sorry, but that's being lazy.

2 hours ago, chubby said:

contempt of cop,  as I read this, they weren't even there for him, but for someone else with a warrant.

every other person in america, has a gun.

as I've read this he did nothing threatening, what he "did"  was  disobey  the  cop,  who "ordered him" to "drop his gun" ; 

THEN the pattern goes.  They shoot him,  often 10 times,  go and handcuff him, and don't offer 1st aid, he bleeds to death and is left to die. 

the police have become militarized, and are never convicted, free reign of Terror,  you would think the "Benevolent Cop Societys" might push harder for some kind of handgun control, but do they??  Since Kaepernick started his kneeling, 69 people have been shot and killed by the police, it's out of control  IMHO

Anybody with a gun in their hand becomes a person of interest because ignoring him would be more than stupid. If you happen to be innocently standing around with a gun in your hand, do you think it would be an infringement of your rights, or just inconvenient, to obey a police instruction to put it down?

I watched the video.  His wife either didn't know he had a gun, or did and was trying to deescalate the cops.....who already knew he did have a gun.  She was saying, "Keith, don't you do it!  Don't you do it!".  Do what?  She knew, and she knew his criminal history too.  He was in the truck, cops wanted to break the windows and pull him out because he wasn't complying.  In the few seconds the camera was pointed down to the ground, he was out of the truck and on the ground in front of the patrol car.  He charged at them?  Stills show a pistol on the ground near his body.

Be interesting to find out how and why the cops came to contact him when they were there for someone else.  The unmarked Suburban must be the U/C unit.

8 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Guns are a big problem in the US.  But with the exception of random attacks (of which there are quite a few), it's not really of notice to the average person.  I never saw a gun in public.  I never saw a shootout.  I never had a problem with a cop.  Never.  Then again, I didn't travel in dodgy neighborhoods.  I was lucky and lived in upscale neighborhoods.  I'm sure if you lived in Harlem, your experiences would be 100% different.  Sadly.

Becareful what you see in the news.  A lot is just click bait.

With respect....

With this topic being about police shooting citizens, guns are a big problem in the US.

2 hours ago, chubby said:

contempt of cop,  as I read this, they weren't even there for him, but for someone else with a warrant.

every other person in america, has a gun.

as I've read this he did nothing threatening, what he "did"  was  disobey  the  cop,  who "ordered him" to "drop his gun" ; 

THEN the pattern goes.  They shoot him,  often 10 times,  go and handcuff him, and don't offer 1st aid, he bleeds to death and is left to die. 

the police have become militarized, and are never convicted, free reign of Terror,  you would think the "Benevolent Cop Societys" might push harder for some kind of handgun control, but do they??  Since Kaepernick started his kneeling, 69 people have been shot and killed by the police, it's out of control  IMHO

Every other person in America does not have a gun.  If he had a gun, and didn't drop it, what are the police suppose to do?  Wait until he shoots? 

Proliferation of guns is a huge problem in the US.  And it does need to be addressed!  Especially "midnight special" hand guns.

5 minutes ago, halloween said:

Anybody with a gun in their hand becomes a person of interest because ignoring him would be more than stupid. If you happen to be innocently standing around with a gun in your hand, do you think it would be an infringement of your rights, or just inconvenient, to obey a police instruction to put it down?

In my younger years, I had a few runs ins with the police.  Nothing serious.  When they issued an instruction, I obeyed!!!!  No questions asked.

North Carolina is an open carry state. Having a gun is legal, and and advocates insist upon being able to go just about anywhere while armed.  I Spotted this as a post today on FB, though the photo seems one much used on sites both pro and con for carrying guns.

"Assume, for the sake of argument, that the account given by the Charlotte police of how they came to fatally shoot Keith Lamont Scott on Tuesday is true – that he had a handgun. Okay. So what? North Carolina is an open-carry state (like 30 other states) where a citizen has the right to walk around with a handgun.

"The Charlotte police department says its officers saw Scott “inside a vehicle in the apartment complex. The subject exited the vehicle armed with a handgun. Officers observed the subject get back into the vehicle at which time they began to approach the subject.”

"So exactly what illegal activity did the Charlotte police observe before they approached “the subject?” The only conclusion it’s possible to draw is that it’s illegal to carry a handgun in North Carolina if you’re African-American.

What do you think?"

Image result for texas gun laws open carry

How many ways can black people get killed that are less likely for white people? One man expresses his fears this way

Video opinion on "Why I'm Afraid"

What the Data Really Says About Police and Racial Bias
Eighteen academic studies, legal rulings, and media investigations shed light on the issue roiling America.
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/07/data-police-racial-bias

Yes, people are upset. Yes, they are afraid and angry.
Yes, police officers also fear for their lives, ... but the statistics are not the same in all locations.
Some jurisdictions better train their officers than other jurisdictions.

Edited by RPCVguy

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Oops. Will he get fined or arrested for that?

I think the more salient point is he should not have had a gun.  It's quite normal for the cops to run a plate check before getting out of their car.  They might have known who they were dealing with already.  Maybe.  Either way, sad loss of life.

45 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I think the more salient point is he should not have had a gun.  It's quite normal for the cops to run a plate check before getting out of their car.  They might have known who they were dealing with already.  Maybe.  Either way, sad loss of life.

Since apparently they tried to serve a warrant intended for somebody else, it looks like they did not know.

1 hour ago, RPCVguy said:

North Carolina is an open carry state. Having a gun is legal, and and advocates insist upon being able to go just about anywhere while armed.  I Spotted this as a post today on FB, though the photo seems one much used on sites both pro and con for carrying guns.

"Assume, for the sake of argument, that the account given by the Charlotte police of how they came to fatally shoot Keith Lamont Scott on Tuesday is true – that he had a handgun. Okay. So what? North Carolina is an open-carry state (like 30 other states) where a citizen has the right to walk around with a handgun.

"The Charlotte police department says its officers saw Scott “inside a vehicle in the apartment complex. The subject exited the vehicle armed with a handgun. Officers observed the subject get back into the vehicle at which time they began to approach the subject.”

"So exactly what illegal activity did the Charlotte police observe before they approached “the subject?” The only conclusion it’s possible to draw is that it’s illegal to carry a handgun in North Carolina if you’re African-American.

What do you think?"

Image result for texas gun laws open carry

How many ways can black people get killed that are less likely for white people? One man expresses his fears this way

Video opinion on "Why I'm Afraid"

What the Data Really Says About Police and Racial Bias
Eighteen academic studies, legal rulings, and media investigations shed light on the issue roiling America.
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/07/data-police-racial-bias

Yes, people are upset. Yes, they are afraid and angry.
Yes, police officers also fear for their lives, ... but the statistics are not the same in all locations.
Some jurisdictions better train their officers than other jurisdictions.

NC does require a license to purchase a handgun. If police saw someone with a handgun who appeared to be trying to avoid them, they are right to have suspicion that he may not be licensed or otherwise prohibited - in this case correctly.

53 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since apparently they tried to serve a warrant intended for somebody else, it looks like they did not know.

Don't need to know, they can run plates all they want, and can see the persons arrest history. 

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Every other person in America does not have a gun.  If he had a gun, and didn't drop it, what are the police suppose to do?  Wait until he shoots? 

Proliferation of guns is a huge problem in the US.  And it does need to be addressed!  Especially "midnight special" hand guns.

I believe the great majority of the midnight special hand guns are in black neighborhoods.  If the cops stopped responding to calls in those neighborhoods there would be no chance of coming into contact with those kinds of guns or shooting black people.   

2 hours ago, daoyai said:

Mr. Scott was a convicted felon which means that it is an aditional felony for him to have a gun at all. 

Exactly. 

Police would have run the vehicle license plate and all history on the vehicle owner would have been visible to law enforcement. 

I have read that Scott had numerous arrests and convictions with firearms including a 2005 conviction in Texas of Aggrated Assault with a Deadly Weapon. 

The fact Scott exited a vehicle, saw police, and immediately returned to the vehicle would appear suspicious to Law Enforcement and moreso since police saw a firearm in his posession. They would have had access to the lengthy arrest record of the registered owner of the vehicle as well and known Scott was not legslly allowed to be in posession of a firearm.

Are there actually posters here who cannot connect these dots? 

Please do tell me what you would have done if you were the black police officer.

25 minutes ago, stevenl said:
29 minutes ago, Strange said:

Don't need to know, they can run plates all they want, and can see the persons arrest history. 

You clearly don't understand, that's ok.

Whats to understand? Are you trying to say that they were looking for a certain person to serve an arrest warrant, and should have left Mr. Scott alone? That they are not allowed to do their job while looking for a certain person? If they would not have approached Mr Scott, then he would be alive? 

15 minutes ago, Strange said:

Whats to understand? Are you trying to say that they were looking for a certain person to serve an arrest warrant, and should have left Mr. Scott alone? That they are not allowed to do their job while looking for a certain person? If they would not have approached Mr Scott, then he would be alive? 

What I said is they thought they were approaching somebody else.

15 minutes ago, Strange said:

What I said is they thought they were approaching somebody else.

obviously,  there is a problem, when they are gunning down 10 year olds with toy guns, etc, etc.   blame all around is justified.  I remember back in the day there was a bank robbery in LA, and the police were totally outgunned, as the criminals had assault weapons. 

everyone would rather point fingers, than even do something simple like ban assault weapons,   see: Sandy Hook ;  blame Ralph Nadar,  for creating indirectly  the lobbying industry in the 1970s, blame the "free market"  for putting privatization  over  regulations,  blame the libertarians  for short sightedness.

we need some kind of community policing model,  instead of an occupying force 

/end of rant

** Contempt of Cop   ; and being black (eg living in a black neighborhood, with its institutionalized desperation) ..............IMHO

Edited by chubby

All as I can say to the Americans. Please do not start more race riots like the 1960's. You are tearing America apart. To those who started all these riots and I don't care about your race, colour, creed or religious beliefs, there is a street in Cape Town, South Africa named after you. Look it up on Google Maps. It's called Wat er kant street, Waterkant Street.