US Embassy income affidavit validity

thanks for your reply...

if I got the affidavit next week that would certify that my income is as indicated for the previous 12 months...any danger of the IO rejecting the document on the basis of requiring the indicated period to be the previous 12 months from the last week of December?

anyone ever heard of this happening?

It depends on the office that you use.  They are supposed to be valid for 6 months, but some offices will only accept 30 days.  I use Nakhon Sawan and their policy is/was still 30 days the last time I did an extension.  I asked the IO why they are only valid for 39 days and she said "bosses policy".

There's even some information on one of the threads that the new Ayutthaya office is requiring them to be certified by the MFA!

• Like 1

thanks for the additional input regarding gov't/MFA verification of embassy income affidavits required by the local IO...this is a separate issue but in light of recent unfortunate developments in Ayutthaya and elsewhere where the additional verification is now required by the IO any info is welcome...

my personal interest is with regard to the new office in Suphanburi...

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

thanks for the additional input regarding gov't/MFA verification of embassy income affidavits required by the local IO...this is a separate issue but in light of recent unfortunate developments in Ayutthaya and elsewhere where the additional verification is now required by the IO any info is welcome...

my personal interest is with regard to the new office in Suphanburi...

There are very few offices that don't accept them that are 6 months old.

Since it is a new office perhaps it would be good show them the directive sent out over 3 years ago. Immigration directive for income letters.pdf

I have seen no recent reports of the consular officer signature verification by the MFA  being needed at the offices reported as asking for it.  Edit: I suggest you check with you local office to find out if it is still required.

Edited by ubonjoe
clarification of post

So we should wait until less than 30 days left to extending a Non Immigrant "O" Visa (marriage), to get the income validation? Also, do we need to make an appointment for this Income Validation at the US Embassy in Bangkok, or do we just need to walk-in? I have a few issues to clear up with them actually, like declaring my daughter an American, and getting her a Social Security number, an ultimately to start working on a Green Card for my Wife, though that last item can wait until we are closer to coming back to the US (we are staying in Bangkok for 4 more years).

google American Citizen Services in Bangkok and follow the directions to make an appointment to get the income affidavit, described as 'notary services' or some such...

for the other business that you describe not sure...you can call them (contact details on the ACS webpage) and then book an appointment accordingly...

9 hours ago, ocddave said:

So we should wait until less than 30 days left to extending a Non Immigrant "O" Visa (marriage), to get the income validation? Also, do we need to make an appointment for this Income Validation at the US Embassy in Bangkok, or do we just need to walk-in? I have a few issues to clear up with them actually, like declaring my daughter an American, and getting her a Social Security number, an ultimately to start working on a Green Card for my Wife, though that last item can wait until we are closer to coming back to the US (we are staying in Bangkok for 4 more years).

It is 6 months at the majority of immigration offices. I have been able to get mine 3 to 4 months early the past 3 years.

You need to make an appointment at the embassy. See this page as a starting page. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

Info for  the income affidavit is here. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/

On 9/25/2016 at 1:44 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

thanks for your reply...

if I got the affidavit next week that would certify that my income is as indicated for the previous 12 months...any danger of the IO rejecting the document on the basis of requiring the indicated period to be the previous 12 months from the last week of December?

anyone ever heard of this happening?

I'm not sure about other Embassies, but USA income affidavit (letter) shows you are reporting Monthly Income - not for past 12 months. I have always reported my current monthly pension amount at the time I complete the affidavit. You can get a blank copy of the affidavit at: https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2016/07/income-affidavit-bangkok.pdf

The Thai Immigration requirement is 800k baht OR monthly income of at least 65k baht OR a combination of both (monthly income x 12 months plus money in bank is equal to or greater than 800k baht).  I have been using the income affidavit (letter) for the past 12 years - the IO looks at the monthly amount and using the "current" exchange rate converts the US Dollar amount on the affidavit to baht - if it is equal to or greater than 65k baht, they accept it. 

Edited by soisanuk
update

^^I usually obtain the monthly figure that I enter onto the affidavit by dividing the amount from the previous 12 months by 12...that way I can offer bank statements to confirm this amount, if required (happily not yet)...

thanks for the link to the blank affidavit...now I can have it prepared before I go for my appointment at the BKK ACS...

btw, I have been using the income affidavit for retirement extensions for a few years now as well...but it's just recently that someone who had been to my local IO in Ayudttaya reported that someone there demanded that the affidavit embassy signature be countersigned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs...as I personally have never had a problem at the Ayudtthaya immigration office I was unpleasantly surprised......

Edited by tutsiwarrior

14 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

^^I usually obtain the monthly figure that I enter onto the affidavit by dividing the amount from the previous 12 months by 12...that way I can offer bank statements to confirm this amount, if required (happily not yet)...

thanks for the link to the blank affidavit...now I can have it prepared before I go for my appointment at the BKK ACS...

btw, I have been using the income affidavit for retirement extensions for a few years now as well...but it's just recently that someone who had been to my local IO in Ayudttaya reported that someone there demanded to have the affidavit signature countersigned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs...I personally have never had a problem at the Ayudtthaya immigration office...

My income in dollars does not vary unless their is a annual increase. The baht amount does change but that is to be expected.

You can click here to fill it out the affidavit online and print it. http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/income_affidavit_template.pdf

^^sometimes I will have not worked an entire year so I cannot say that I have had a monthly income strictly speaking...but if I divide the annual figure by 12 that puts me comfortably over the required amount...big smiles all around at the IO...

soon, in my aged decrepitude I shall no longer work and my pension income will be less than the required monthly amount...but it should amount to about 80% of the required figure and I will 'top up' by seasoning the required balance in my bank account before renewing my extension...voila, combined income and bank account method...

toodling along, happily minding my own business and then some character dressed as a villian enters stage right with 'MFA' pinned to his coat...melodrama in the rice paddies of central Thailand...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

I should know better than to make definitive statements about things like this!

I would go with a letter no more than 30 days old just to be safe. Each office is a small fiefdom  and many managers like to mark their territory. I think the one comment above stating 39 days the boss said so explains what your up against. Better to be safe than sorry. 

On 9/25/2016 at 3:28 AM, wayned said:

It depends on the office that you use.  They are supposed to be valid for 6 months, but some offices will only accept 30 days.  I use Nakhon Sawan and their policy is/was still 30 days the last time I did an extension.  I asked the IO why they are only valid for 39 days and she said "bosses policy".

There's even some information on one of the threads that the new Ayutthaya office is requiring them to be certified by the MFA!

A individual can not alter laws set NY Thai government and foreign Embassy.  They are valid 6 months by law. Report the so called boss to BKK. And that story they drizzle is merely that a crap story.

On 9/25/2016 at 6:36 AM, chipstack said:

Nothabury also requiring thai government authorization at same office thais receive their passports near DSA, court and changwantanna immigration. 200tb and 2 day wait to pick up.

What government authorization. .the immigration is the government. This is false information 

27 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I would go with a letter no more than 30 days old just to be safe. Each office is a small fiefdom  and many managers like to mark their territory. I think the one comment above stating 39 days the boss said so explains what your up against. Better to be safe than sorry. 

No they are legally valid 6 months. If it was 8 weeks old impossible to refuse. Report them to BKK. They are not permitted to alter laws.

Just now, performance said:

No they are legally valid 6 months. If it was 8 weeks old impossible to refuse. Report them to BKK. They are not permitted to alter laws.

Really how enlightening you are. Add a little realism and you will soon figure out how the game is played here. Report them to BKK how naive. Legally valid here is a broad term. Altering laws happens on a daily basis. When your post level increases to a couple thousand lets revisit this. Welcome to the Gong Show. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, performance said:

A individual can not alter laws set NY Thai government and foreign Embassy.  They are valid 6 months by law. Report the so called boss to BKK. And that story they drizzle is merely that a crap story.

You obviously don’t have a clue how business is conducted here!  Sure I could push the document in the IO’s face and demand that their policy be changed and if they don’t. I would report them to the “head office”.

Or, I could be proactive and find out exactly what their policy was upfront, submit what they require in the time frames stated and get on with my extension.  I’ve been using this office since they were established and have never been asked for anything other than the submission of my paperwork within the time frames required.  What’s the problem with checking ahead and doing what is required under the current local policies?

The other option is to follow the advice of some of the narcissistic hypocrites that post here and push the document in front of the IO’s face.  Then he might just require that you provide proof of the stated income as he has the right to do. Try to find a policy that states exactly what is required to prove that what you swore to is correct. Good luck with that as you already pissed him off.

Why make it harder than it actually is?

4 hours ago, performance said:

3 hours ago, performance said:

Law doesn't come in to it. Immigration can decide how old an affidavit can be and the directive says that it can be no more than 6 months old. If an office decide to limit it to 30 days, IMO, they can, however, you could formally appeal the decision.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Law doesn't come in to it. Immigration can decide how old an affidavit can be and the directive says that it can be no more than 6 months old. If an office decide to limit it to 30 days, IMO, they can, however, you could formally appeal the decision.

Yes fair answer. These people change laws to suit there reasoning.

Well it varies from office to office and I think from time to time. But I always have my agent do the retirement  extension in Bangkok and he's always told me I should get the income affidavit within a week of the extension.