Discarded Waste Paper

thaimee

This is very alarming. I've observed lately in Carrefour toilet's that discarded toilet paper is not reaching the intended target! This can't be right surely?

What is going on that warrants putting toilet paper with you know what into the provided waste paper bins? The next time you use the facilities and i've no qualm against carrefour, check to see if the bins are empty or part filled with toilet paper?

I hate to think what is happening. I'm assuming that certain people know how to use toilet paper and where it should end up. May i assume that unsupervised babies are using the facilities but are not sure how to finalise a clean act?

Of course I don't expect you to use your hands to see what i've observed.

Distressing observations in Pattaya. Not a clean act is it? Thaimee.

It happens all over the world. My best guess is that people who do not have a "western" flush method and sewer system find it normal to put the used paper in the bin.

I find it disgusting, but if you have grown up in a house/shack where you cannot flush the paper away how will you know the difference?

The toilets in my office here in Azerbaijan have big signs in Tagalog, Thai, Azeri, Russian and English saying flush your used paper, but the bins still end up full by the end of the day. It is strange considering it is probably harder to put in the bin rather than just dropping it in the pan, but what can you do?

Believe it or not but in a lot of Thai places they have signs up saying NOTto put the paper in the toilet bowl... It seems that their primitive sceptic tanks can't cope with the paper flushed in them...When they are full with solid waste they have to pay for one of those yellow smelling waste removal trucks...They rather empty an overflowing bin every day...

Biggest problem I have is when family members from upcountry visit is broken toiletseats. The shoeprints are clearly visible on them, indicating they use them the same way as their Thai style toilets :o

Luckily the Cotto spare parts are not expensive :D

Yes, it appears i'm ignorant of these very facts monty. This is their country and I hadn't been aware of these cultural differences. Shocking to myself but true none the less.

To be fair us foreigners are privelaged to use paper from trees to wipe our <deleted> when we could do a better job cleaning ourselves! Well just maybe.....

I just hadn't been sensitised to these issues before and it's going to make my toilet habits from here on a whole new experience . Beg's the question:

Q: If you built your own home in Thailand would you have a squat toilet or western toilet?

I just might opt out of practical reasons for the squat style toilet. Thaimee.

Agree with Monty.

Here where I work all the toilets have a sign saying not to put excessive amounts of toilet paper down the loo. And a lot of the workers do use excessive amounts. But as there are hand-showers in each cubicle, I see no reason to use much. Wash the bum and dry it off with a small amount that goes into the waste-bin.

When working in Iran there was no main drainage anywhere that I could see. Maybe Tehran, but not Isfahan or Shiraz. Every house had a stone-lined cess pit that filtered the liquids into the garden area, the solids being disposed of by cockroaches and other wee beasties. But with the advent of Western civilisation and the oil industry, all these cesspits got lined with papier mache and clogged up. Made what had been a pleasant environment into a foul stinking pit.And all the new arrivals would sniff, decide the locals were filthy, ill-educated, etc., and would never believe that it was the imposition of their culture (in one aspect, by the few locals who wanted to be thought 'civilised') on the local tradition that had brought this sorry state of affairs about.

What's the other saying. How does it go now. Yes, I remember now. When make an offering or simply giving a person an object or gift never use the left hand that has supposedly wiped the arse.

Umm, is this correct? Thaimee.

What's the other saying. How does it go now. Yes, I remember now. When make an offering or simply giving a person an object or gift never use the left hand that has supposedly wiped the arse.

Whose arse?

And never french kiss a politician. :o

Fine Up2U. I refer you to both the left and right hand of Thai immigration. How do you do? Oh terribly sorry, what an arse i've made of myself! So that's fine, 44 back-2-back visa's is acceptable? No Sir, you got to be shitting me?

Thaimee.

Whose arse?

And never french kiss a politician. :o

Unless he's a Cabinet Minister cum cross dresser ( in a wardrobe )