Suspected rabid dog bites students and teachers at Yasothorn school

webfact

...that's what it takes for them to do their jobs.....

...<deleted> else do they do the rest of the time.....

...same question for lifeguards that have red flags on the beach and show up when a body floats in....

3 hours ago, Roota said:

Given the recent improvements in post-exposure treatment, I'd definitely consult with a doctor before doing a pre-exposure vaccine. It requires three to four doses over a month or so for proper long-term protection and is generally recommended only for people in high-risk occupations.

And yes, observation of the live animal is still the gold standard in rabies diagnosis.

Are you a medical professional ? I think you are incorrect about "gold standard". The dog is already displaying classic symptoms. Send the entire animal or the head to BKK for study. You can have your answer in 12 hours VS seversl days. This dog still has 3-5 days left at minimum.

If someone lives in the USA or any other developed First World country where the incidence of rabies exposure is minimal then the vaccine is an unnecessary safeguard except in high-risk occupations. However, when you live in a 3rd World country with a high stray dog population and the local hospital may not even have the post-exposure medication then you don't have to be in a high-risk occupation to take such precaution. 

Ofcourse, checking with your doctor can be useful but the Thai doctors I have spoken to do not take rabies as seriously as their Western counterparts. Read Western medical advise and they even discuss the cultural differences of pro-active response in various countries. 

I suppose your advise would be similar for Hep A/B vaccine ? 

7 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...that's what it takes for them to do their jobs.....

...<deleted> else do they do the rest of the time.....

...same question for lifeguards that have red flags on the beach and show up when a body floats in....

Whoa Buddy. 

Slow down before you start criticizing these groups of people who risk their lives for a measly few Baht.

They may not have even been alerted to the dog until the next day. Far too much unknown to jump down their throat.

And the lifeguards I have seen in action did go into the water when they saw a person in distress. What more can they do when people ignore red flags than whistle to them and tell them to exit the water ( which is what I see them do frequently). Its not like they can physicslly remove a swimmer that ignores all the warnings they provide.

I understand your frustration of living 3rd World but these groups do not deserve your wrath. 

20 hours ago, oldsailor35 said:

My farang neighbour here on Samui goes to the beach twice a day to feed the stray dogs and they are breeding up, latest litter of 4 pups and more on the way. This  idiot

should be heavily fined.

It is people like him that this country DOESN'T need.

Suggest printing relevant parts here and put in his mailbox.