Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

11 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Better Education system than the UK?

Apologies, I may be on a different wavelength being one of the last few lucky years to get a (working class) "11 Plus" entry to Grammar school but the UK education system #for me# was second to none

May have been one of the only year that did the 9+ pre-screening (born in 1966) but I know it helped me (& my council estate friends) to make a much better life for ourselves & our familys.

I can imagine that; I had similar experiences.

However, standards have dropped dramatically. Have you looked at an A level maths or physics paper recently. University courses are typically 4 years now.

The country is being dumbed down ?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, standards have dropped dramatically. Have you looked at an A level maths or physics paper recently. University courses are typically 4 years now.

The country is being dumbed down [emoji53]

Ironically I dropped out of A-Level Maths (Pure & Applied) & Physics as my career aspiration at 16 (1982) was to be a Maths/Science teacher & as a throw away got an "O-Level" qualification in computer studies (part of the A-level Electronics) which I got hooked on & that's what set my career for the last 30 years.

No "Big Swinging Dicks" stories but I've had an awesome career (without a degree) that puts me where I am today & wish the same luck to everybody else starting out [emoji1303]

Well from what I can make out re the education sideshow, some of the forum Brexiteers haven't even got a D in GCSE maths. For sure an F in Home Economics. Answered the wrong questions in History and don't seem to have the faintest clue about Geography.

The country is being dumbed down [emoji53]

I hear that, my Brother was a couple of years younger than me & ended up in the "higher" (non-grammar) school (he would have aced it)

Fortunately our Mum's (my Dad is an ex-pug faced Rugby League player) genes came through & he's now the managing director of a Danish company...

17 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I take on board what you say about Kaeser. But, if anything, it re-affirms the soundness of the UK economy: Kaeser is ruthless, and isn't out to do the UK any favours. He's reaffirmed Siemens' commitment to the UK because it makes sound business sense, and for no other reason. More and more companies and institutions have done/are doing the same, the latest being Nissan.

Nissan? I don't see any evidence which suggests Nissan will continue investing in the UK if Britain pulls out of the EU lock, stock and barrel: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/30/nissan-hard-brexit-compensation-new-uk-investment-tariffs

Companies like Siemens which you mentioned before will continue to invest in the UK since they'll want Britsh consumers to buy their washing machines and other kitchen equipment rather than a competitors. But any manufacturer with designs on exporting to the EU is going to think twice about any decision to invest in Britain if it means exports are going to be weighed down by tariff barriers.

15 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Nissan? I don't see any evidence which suggests Nissan will continue investing in the UK if Britain pulls out of the EU lock, stock and barrel: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/30/nissan-hard-brexit-compensation-new-uk-investment-tariffs

Companies like Siemens which you mentioned before will continue to invest in the UK since they'll want Britsh consumers to buy their washing machines and other kitchen equipment rather than a competitors. But any manufacturer with designs on exporting to the EU is going to think twice about any decision to invest in Britain if it means exports are going to be weighed down by tariff barriers.

Re: Nissan. I would suggest you read the last three or four pages of this thread.

Siemens was used as an example because it's Europe's biggest. Plenty of other multinationals, such as GSK (which doesn't fit your parameters), have re-committed with even more investment.

"The pharmaceutical firm, whose chief executive Sir Andrew Witty backed the Remain campaign, said the UK's skilled workforce and competitive tax system helped drive the decision.

It said most of the products made at the expanded sites would be exported."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36901027

And the list is growing as companies realise that the UK economy is not going to tank as predicted by the scaremongers.

Edited by Khun Han

51 minutes ago, JB300 said:

I hear that, my Brother was a couple of years younger than me & ended up in the "higher" (non-grammar) school (he would have aced it)

Fortunately our Mum's (my Dad is an ex-pug faced Rugby League player) genes came through & he's now the managing director of a Danish company...

I bet He loves Denmark!

Edited by Grouse

28 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Re: Nissan. I would suggest you read the last three or four pages of this thread.

Siemens was used as an example because it's Europe's biggest. Plenty of other multinationals, such as GSK (which doesn't fit your parameters), have re-committed with even more investment.

"The pharmaceutical firm, whose chief executive Sir Andrew Witty backed the Remain campaign, said the UK's skilled workforce and competitive tax system helped drive the decision.

It said most of the products made at the expanded sites would be exported."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36901027

And the list is growing as companies realise that the UK economy is not going to tank as predicted by the scaremongers.

GSK is a British company. Why would they relocate? VERY high margins and strong local universities (though these will be hit by lost EU research funding and reduced top flight foreign students)

We are discussing reduced direct foreign investment. Kindly acknowledge that being outside the EU is an "inconvenience" if not a disaster!

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

GSK is a British company. Why would they relocate? VERY high margins and strong local universities (though these will be hit by lost EU research funding and reduced top flight foreign students)

We are discussing reduced direct foreign investment. Kindly acknowledge that being outside the EU is an "inconvenience" if not a disaster!

Yeah, right. You'll be telling us Gilead are an Irish company next. They are global corporations with no regional loyalties. As is AstraZeneca, another huge pharmaco which has re-committed to the UK with further investment.

On 10/11/2016 at 2:37 PM, Prbkk said:

Yes, well it could have been worse: the Baht is under significant pressure for reasons well known but not widely discussed in Thailand ( so too the SET index). So your GBPs are going a little further than they might otherwise have done.

God forbid.  I'll need to drink 20% less to keep within same budget as a year ago.

5 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Yeah, right. You'll be telling us Gilead are an Irish company next. They are global corporations with no regional loyalties. As is AstraZeneca, another huge pharmaco which has re-committed to the UK with further investment.

GSKs HQ is London and their primary listing is on the FTSE100 where they are about No4. Yes they are a multinational but can you not see the situation is just SLIGHTLY different from Nissan? Really?

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

I think their education system is far superior with the technical schools feeding appropriately educated people to mittelstand companies particularly.  There is also far less dumbing down. Overall, Germany feels very civilised without the extremes seen in the U.K. I could write a book on this. I don't know how you would compare education quantitatively. I'll see what I can find.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading

There is more to education than just training though. What about civil society. The UK is falling behind I feel. 

Finland are doing great!

Yes, Finland is doing v well indeed - unless you know poor people in Finland.

Are they faring better than the poor in the UK?  I don't know, but have a few funny stories about the subject when it comes to Finland!

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Well from what I can make out re the education sideshow, some of the forum Brexiteers haven't even got a D in GCSE maths. For sure an F in Home Economics. Answered the wrong questions in History and don't seem to have the faintest clue about Geography.

So we're back to insulting those who voted brexit?

Edit - but I'll be the first to admit that my geography is very bad, which is why I was given a 'light up globe' as an Xmas present many years ago :lol:.

Edited by dick dasterdly

28 minutes ago, Grouse said:

GSKs HQ is London and their primary listing is on the FTSE100 where they are about No4. Yes they are a multinational but can you not see the situation is just SLIGHTLY different from Nissan? Really?

But the difference is only slight. These multinationals do not have any kind of regional loyalty, let alone country loyalty. Everything for them is money-driven. Hell, look a Gilead, who I mentioned earlier. They are American, in the way that GSK is British. But they made their official home in Ireland because Ireland offered them absurdly good tax breaks. No loyalty to their home country there, was there? GSK would be out of the UK in a flash if they thought it wasn't working for them. It is working for them.

22 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

So we're back to insulting those who voted brexit?

Edit - but I'll be the first to admit that my geography is very bad, which is why I was given a 'light up globe' as an Xmas present many years ago :lol:.

Going back to? When did they go away from it? It's their comfort blanket.

1 hour ago, Xircal said:

This Nissan.

Who have now came out with this yesterday.

The boss of Japanese car giant Nissan says he is "confident" the government will keep the UK a competitive place to do business after it leaves the EU.

"Following our productive meeting, I am confident the government will continue to ensure the UK remains a competitive place to do business. I look forward to continued positive collaboration between Nissan and the UK Government."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-37656480

17 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

But the difference is only slight. These multinationals do not have any kind of regional loyalty, let alone country loyalty. Everything for them is money-driven. Hell, look a Gilead, who I mentioned earlier. They are American, in the way that GSK is British. But they made their official home in Ireland because Ireland offered them absurdly good tax breaks. No loyalty to their home country there, was there? GSK would be out of the UK in a flash if they thought it wasn't working for them. It is working for them.

Dont GSK benefit from the UK patent box scheme, 10% tax on profits from IP

36 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

I've been reading that many analysts think that the GBP could drop another 8% by year end.    Eventually there has to be a rebound, but another 8% is going to be painful for many Brits living abroad.

Wow, 1.12 eh? Grim ?

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, Finland is doing v well indeed - unless you know poor people in Finland.

Are they faring better than the poor in the UK?  I don't know, but have a few funny stories about the subject when it comes to Finland!

Do tell all?

The Finns seem to have cracked it as far as I can tell.

Mind you, it's 15 years since I was there (Nokia, you know....)

On 10/5/2016 at 7:30 PM, Grouse said:

UKIP leader resigns and Farage is back

Sterling forecast parity with USD

what a day.....

Thank you ,  i knew  Nigel would not desert us . 5555

1 hour ago, up-country_sinclair said:

I've been reading that many analysts think that the GBP could drop another 8% by year end.    Eventually there has to be a rebound, but another 8% is going to be painful for many Brits living abroad.

" Eventually there has to be a rebound" - really why?

Ever heard of the "dead cat bounce"?

9 minutes ago, elliss said:

No pain , no gain . Gulp .

Gain??? - just a restoration of the situation before Brexit would be OK - never mind about gain....

Uk (england) will be a smaller economy in the next few years and unless the banks start paying ridiculous interest rates that will result in a less valued pound - permanently.

Edited by cumgranosalum

"Retailers are poised to impose a wave of price rises that could add 5 per cent to shopping bills in the new year after the pound plunged by more than the worst forecast of so-called ‘Project Fear’. The hikes, expected to hit soon after Christmas, will cost consumers an estimated £15billion next year.

A slew of executives from supermarkets, fashion retailers and suppliers have issued warnings. Most declined to be named – saying the issue has become too political – but all predicted price rises of at least 5 per cent. One leading fashion retail boss told The Mail on Sunday he was already seeing suppliers asking for price rises of 10 per cent.

This is something consumers need to get used to,’ he said. ‘Suppliers operating in dollars or euros have had a 15 per cent rise in their costs as a result of the referendum and more recently because of the lack of any plan following that. This is a major issue and it is coming to your shelves soon.’

Well over half the goods sold in UK shops are imported. Retail executives said this would mean the slump in the pound would result in an average price hike of at least 7.5 per cent. Some of that increase could be absorbed by suppliers and retailers, but about 5 per cent would end up being paid by shoppers.

Sables said retail spending in Britain totalled £300billion so a 5 per cent price rise would amount to £15billion".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-3839836/Retailers-prepare-hike-prices-5-Christmas-pound-plunges-Project-Fear-forecasts.html