Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

On October 4, 2016 at 7:29 PM, boomerangutang said:

There are a lot of things to appreciate outside the realm of money.  I just took a long walk/jog in the country.  Nature all around, including a sunset.  More precious than the crown jewels guarded by beefeaters.

I hope we never see that big orange fireball going up in the sky but I'm starting to worry a bit, what a sunset that would be. All about Money and power, You are right though even looking at a bug I have never seen before brings me joy and tranquility. Simply amazing how easy it is to overlook the beauty around us.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I'll ignore the Little Englander, Union flag waving stuff.

You are still dancing around the main points. Please tell us which EU derived laws you are against and confirm that you understand how laws are adopted and ratified.

We know EU democracy needs improvement but how has shared sovereignty affected you and yours?

We're going through major grief for some rather tenuous philosophical points.....

Firstly I was waving the French flag as well as the German one as I believe all EU countries should be proud of their country, culture and identity. nothing wrong with that. Just as you are proud to be a Yorkshireman (I assume)  I could say the same of you waving the EU flag but don't

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-law-what-proportion-influenced-eu/

I can go on all day (see above) but I don't agree with the agriculture and fisheries for one.

Many of the laws prevent the UK from trading with other countries outside the EU unless paying tariffs. I am against that.

Having 59.9% of UK laws coming from the EU is just to many.

On October 4, 2016 at 9:06 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You win some you lose some.

After Canadian dollar dropped with oil the price of real estate went higher than ever. Watch Arabs go for another shopping spree in London.

And the Thai Hi-So's that keep the Baht high to increase their foreign buying power.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I hope we never see that big orange fireball going up in the sky but I'm starting to worry a bit, what a sunset that would be. All about Money and power, You are right though even looking at a bug I have never seen before brings me joy and tranquility. Simply amazing how easy it is to overlook the beauty around us.

Couldn't agree more. Took a stroll on Soi Cowboy last Saturday to look at the wildlife. Such pulchritude!

10 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Thanks to Thatcher, manufacturing now accounts for just 9% of GDP.

I suspect the price of food and fuel might be a tiny bit higher ?

You can include her partner in crime Ronald Reagan in that.

13 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Firstly I was waving the French flag as well as the German one as I believe all EU countries should be proud of their country, culture and identity. nothing wrong with that. Just as you are proud to be a Yorkshireman (I assume)  I could say the same of you waving the EU flag but don't

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-law-what-proportion-influenced-eu/

I can go on all day (see above) but I don't agree with the agriculture and fisheries for one.

Many of the laws prevent the UK from trading with other countries outside the EU unless paying tariffs. I am against that.

Having 59.9% of UK laws coming from the EU is just to many.

Please read up on EU laws and how they are debated, adopted, ratified. You clearly don't have a clear understanding. The piece you link to discusses laws that are INFLUENCED by the EU. Please provide specific examples of laws, influenced by the EU, that you object to. Obviously, it is a good idea to HARMONISE legislation. In my own field, harmonised electrical regs are a good thing. ?

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I was in agreement with TM Prime minister in waiting to invoke article 50. I don't know whether she should do it now and shut up all these lets have a vote on this and tell us what you are going to do brigade.

It might just help by starting the process as soon as possible.

The problem with invoking Art 50 now ,is the scenario what do you if it is challenged and declared unconstitional. 

45 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Well of course we need more to change their minds, and while the SNP needs to put in the effort to achieve that aim, the feckless handling of hard v soft Brexit and the complete and utter lack of a plan from the Westminster government can only assist that goal.

But how can the SNP formulate a strategy when they have no idea what the starting point is? Sturgeon has been successfully laying the basis for a Scottish return to the EU, but with the tories tearing themselves apart over how the exit will look, she has to wait before she can state the SNP response.

Don't discount the effect of Teresa being forced to ditch the Sewell convention in order to achieve Brexit - that will be fun to watch, and, of course, will be great fuel for the fire.

I am intrigued about the lies you think she has told? Which are those?

Off topic, so apologies to other posters but:

Lies - like "I've got the power to veto Brexit". She claimed TM had told her so. She also implied very strongly that the EU were receptive to Scotland remaining in the EU - something EU leaders strenuously denied, and made it clear they were not discussing this with her and nor would there be any informal way of joining or remaining.

There is no plan for a Scottish currency. In the UK remains the same, if they joined the EU has to be the Euro. Interim whilst they would be applying and trying to meet all the criteria - the Smackeroonie? 

44 minutes ago, Grubster said:

The Pound being worth less means an increase in exports and jobs for brits, If you live there you will not notice the pound being worth less but you may suddenly have a few in your pocket.

Oh dear - where did you study economics - Forbes playschool?

you really don't appear to understand what UK does/doesn't import /export and what or where we or others end up paying duty on

Edited by cumgranosalum

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Please read up on EU laws and how they are debated, adopted, ratified. You clearly don't have a clear understanding. The piece you link to discusses laws that are INFLUENCED by the EU. Please provide specific examples of laws, influenced by the EU, that you object to. Obviously, it is a good idea to HARMONISE legislation. In my own field, harmonised electrical regs are a good thing. ?

Harmonization of regulations, standards, quality, etc is fine.

But one of the issues the EU has to face is the different legal systems, laws, justice processes, enforcement differences etc. Both in structure, content and evolution.

So how would you see the differences in between legal systems being addressed? And how would that be reconciled for countries who don't currently use the Euro and therefore not subject to ECB edicts as part of their law?

Edited by Baerboxer

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You know what Grouse you ask give me a reason why I voted to Leave and I give you it (more than One). You don't like it or buy it.

You ask me to mention a law that I don't like and you say I haven't a clear understanding of it. The fact that the UK can't fish in its own waters and can't farm enough food for itself anymore due to the EU is enough in itself.

You talk about debate but clearly don't want it along as it agrees with your opinion.

You mock me for my patriotism.

I suggest if you can't accept my beliefs and views that you move on.

PS I can send you countless links on EU laws that I don't agree with but what is the point with you. you never accept it.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Off topic, so apologies to other posters but:

Lies - like "I've got the power to veto Brexit". She claimed TM had told her so. She also implied very strongly that the EU were receptive to Scotland remaining in the EU - something EU leaders strenuously denied, and made it clear they were not discussing this with her and nor would there be any informal way of joining or remaining.

There is no plan for a Scottish currency. In the UK remains the same, if they joined the EU has to be the Euro. Interim whilst they would be applying and trying to meet all the criteria - the Smackeroonie? 

I have searched to see where she said that, and other then the usual Torygraph spin, can find no evidence to suggest that she said anything of the sort - she said she had the power to be disruptive, but not to impose a veto.

I think the informal discussions she has had with various EU leaders have all been constructive but of course she cannot negotiate at this point - the Tories still cannot explain what the starting point for those negotiations would be.

At the moment, the Euro is looking a lot more appealing than the pound.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Harmonization of regulations, standards, quality, etc is fine.

But one of the issues the EU has to face is the different legal systems, laws, justice processes, enforcement differences etc. Both in structure, content and evolution.

So how would you see the differences in between legal systems being addressed? And how would that be reconciled for countries who don't currently use the Euro and therefore not subject to ECB edicts as part of their law?

It's not straightforward I agree. But reasonably successful to date I would contend.

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I have searched to see where she said that, and other then the usual Torygraph spin, can find no evidence to suggest that she said anything of the sort - she said she had the power to be disruptive, but not to impose a veto.

I think the informal discussions she has had with various EU leaders have all been constructive but of course she cannot negotiate at this point - the Tories still cannot explain what the starting point for those negotiations would be.

At the moment, the Euro is looking a lot more appealing than the pound.

I wonder if the Greeks, Spanish, Portuguese and Italians say that with their great economies at the moment.

2 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

Oh dear - where did you study economics - Forbes playschool?

you really don't understand what UK does/doesn't import /export and what we or others end up paying duty on

If you are a British worker you will not pay any duty on products made in Briton I can tell you that Einstein. When you take pounds out of the working mans pocket he will not spend them put them back into the economy either will he? Where did you study economics at the Ronald Reagan/ Margaret Thatcher library?

52 minutes ago, Grubster said:

The Pound being worth less means an increase in exports and jobs for brits, If you live there you will not notice the pound being worth less but you may suddenly have a few in your pocket.

Grubster, GCSE  or O level Business Studies at secondary school teaches that simple economic practice you describe. No need for college or university.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

5 minutes ago, Grubster said:

If you are a British worker you will not pay any duty on products made in Briton I can tell you that Einstein. When you take pounds out of the working mans pocket he will not spend them put them back into the economy either will he? Where did you study economics at the Ronald Reagan/ Margaret Thatcher library?

About 50% of UK food and feed is imported and now 20% more expensive than a year ago.

Edited by Grouse

22 minutes ago, Grouse said:

About 50% of UK food and feed is imported and now 20% more expensive than a year ago.

And you ask about one law the EU has implemented that I don't like.  As I mentioned the agriculture. We can't even feed ourselves. Fishing in our own waters are fished by over 50% from other countries. We have to buy our own fish back. So if the simple fact of self preservation isn't good enough to leave the EU then what should it be.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

And you ask about one law the EU has implemented that I don't like.  As I mentioned the agriculture. We can't even feed ourselves. Fishing in our own waters are fished by over 50% from other countries. We have to buy our own fish back. So if the simple fact of self preservation isn't good enough to leave the EU then what should it be.

I agree the fishing issue. Seems odd, I wonder what the rationale is?

9 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I agree the fishing issue. Seems odd, I wonder what the rationale is?

I don't know if there is a rationale other than crippling the UK fisheries and farming, making it reliable on the EU for food and fish.

http://aquaculturedirectory.co.uk/eu-catches-more-fish-in-uk-waters-than-the-british-brexit-could-create-a-sea-of-opportunity-for-our-coastal-communities-say-scots-fishers/

For whatever reason it is wrong in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Self sufficiency in food is something that will come back following brexit. It will take time, but it will happen.

51 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I think most will see the glaring inadequacies of your theory....but it does explain a little about your thought processes - such as they are.

self sufficiency in food has been falling since the 80s due to falling efficiency relating to low investment and lack of R&D. (Greedy farmers?). British shoppers just want cheap food. Collapsing Sterling will of course adjust this. This will be great for agribusiness but not necessarily good for consumers.

The same too with the British Empire. It will return, in time.  

We will prevail against all the foreigners the world can provide, because We Are Not Foreign.

Yeah I bet the old colonies can't wait to be slaved, their women raped and their lands taken away.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect