Police hunt "Arab" gang in Bangkok who followed man from the bank and stole 100,000 baht

webfact

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

'He can do whatever he likes with it'

Leaving it on the back seat unattended was not a great idea.

"'He can do whatever he likes with it'". 

No one said it was a good idea.

22 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Over-critical, or curious - it's seems they both deserve your unnesecary vitriol. :coffee1:

No, not unnecessary vitriol, just an accurate observation in response to typical Thaivisa posters unjustified derision.

Odd that they would follow him from the bank to the shopping mall, and yet not try to rob him at the bank parking lot, or when he returned to his car with all the cash. If they didn't try to rob him then why follow him as how would they know he planned to leave this money in his car and return to the shopping mall later, and after he changed them to 100's? Who leaves 100,000 Baht in their car along with there shopping anyway? When I pull out 50,000 Baht at times, I keep it on me at all times, and until I can lock it up.

I taste something very fishy about all this whole thing, as it just doesn't make good sense. People following from the bank knowing you have a lot of cash on you but showing no attempt to rob you, and just watching and hoping you will drop this money on the ground, or foolishly leave it in your car unattended, makes so sense at all.  

21 hours ago, Sphere said:

I hope the HE, the ambassador of Arabia, has been properly briefed on the impending arrest of their citizens.

Since when does the subcontinent called Arabia have an Ambassador?

19 hours ago, Acharn said:

For some reason Thai businesses have never accepted the use of checks or bank transfers.

Not that familiar with Thai businesses, are you?  Cheques are widely accepted, and given, here as are interbank transfers.

16 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

....sounds like quite a yarn.....

...just like a certain individual with initial 'K'....and no proof or witnesses whatsoever...

...and the supposed victim is the one wearing the cap.....???

...and yes...why didn't he just ask for 100's to begin with...???

A yarn with no witnesses?  His wife, the bank he withdrew the cash from and the bank that he used to change the 1000s could probably verify his story as could the evidence of the smashed window, as could the CCTV coverage of his being followed.   Are robbery victims not allowed to wear caps?

And, yes, you're last question is just as fatuous as all the other variations of it posted so far, what has the reason for his wanting smaller notes got to do with anyone else?

14 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Unless I'm being a bit dim here- he had 100,000 - presumably in 1000 baht notes.

Actually not a vast amount in this cash society .

if he changed the thousand baht notes into hundred baht notes- would he not have one million 100 baht notes? 

Or or have I just totally lost the plot? 

You've lost it, with a flicker of dimness.  One thousand 100 baht notes is 100,000 baht oddly enough.

14 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Who knows whose money it is/was. Maybe he is now in deep, deep pooh and looking over his shoulder.

With nothing indicating otherwise the only rational and reasonable assumption is that the money was his.

31 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Odd that they would follow him from the bank to the shopping mall, and yet not try to rob him at the bank parking lot, or when he returned to his car with all the cash. If they didn't try to rob him then why follow him as how would they know he planned to leave this money in his car and return to the shopping mall later, and after he changed them to 100's? Who leaves 100,000 Baht in their car along with there shopping anyway? When I pull out 50,000 Baht at times, I keep it on me at all times, and until I can lock it up.

I taste something very fishy about all this whole thing, as it just doesn't make good sense. People following from the bank knowing you have a lot of cash on you but showing no attempt to rob you, and just watching and hoping you will drop this money on the ground, or foolishly leave it in your car unattended, makes so sense at all.  

Perhaps the thieves were waiting for the right opportunity and the right place to ensure that they weren't seen or caught?  As that was exactly what happened, and they seem to have got away with it so far, it makes a lot of sense.

31 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

No, not unnecessary vitriol, just an accurate observation in response to typical Thaivisa posters unjustified derision.

"Derision"?? Can you point out exactly which part of my curious question was derisive?

38 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

"'He can do whatever he likes with it'". 

No one said it was a good idea.

35 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

27 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Since when does the subcontinent called Arabia have an Ambassador?

20 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Not that familiar with Thai businesses, are you?  Cheques are widely accepted, and given, here as are interbank transfers.

9 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

A yarn with no witnesses?  His wife, the bank he withdrew the cash from and the bank that he used to change the 1000s could probably verify his story as could the evidence of the smashed window, as could the CCTV coverage of his being followed.   Are robbery victims not allowed to wear caps?

And, yes, you're last question is just as fatuous as all the other variations of it posted so far, what has the reason for his wanting smaller notes got to do with anyone else?

3 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

You've lost it, with a flicker of dimness.  One thousand 100 baht notes is 100,000 baht oddly enough.

1 minute ago, gdgbb said:

With nothing indicating otherwise the only rational and reasonable assumption is that the money was his.

For someone who's accused others of being an "over-critical Thaivisa poster" you sure are one overly-critical ThaiVisa poster!

Look out folks, someone's called the post-police - must not exercise curiosity, sarcasm or any other forms of mirth. 

7 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

If you kept up with the pace of the thread, you would have seen that his mistake was pointed out minutes after posting.

2 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

"Derision"?? Can you point out exactly which part of my curious question was derisive?

For someone who's accused others of being an "over-critical Thaivisa poster" you sure are one overly-critical ThaiVisa poster!

Look out folks, someone's called the post-police - must not exercise curiosity, sarcasm or any other forms of mirth. 

The word you are looking for to describe my reaction to many bizarre posts, criticisms and questions is "accurate".   In this thread sarcasm or 'other forms of mirth' have not appeared yet, just scathing, unjustified criticism of a robbery victim. 

If you care to take the time to re-read what I said you will see that I did not specifically refer to your post as derisive,  and I really don't care whether you approve of my posts or not.

23 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

If you kept up with the pace of the thread, you would have seen that his mistake was pointed out minutes after posting.

If you had any awareness of the normal way of reading a thread you would have seen that I read posts chronologically.  What comes after the posts I comment on comes after them, I don't review the entire thread before posting, as I am perfectly entitled not to do.  My slowness of pace, as you see it, doesn't mean a lot as yours greatly exceeds mine.

Edited by gdgbb

18 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

The word you are looking for to describe my reaction to many bizarre posts, criticisms and questions is "accurate".  

Accurate in your own opinion only. I bet you're a hoot at parties.

18 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

If you care to take the time to re-read what I said you will see that I did not specifically refer to your post as derisive

"just an accurate observation in response to typical Thaivisa posters unjustified derision" sure looks like you specifically referred to my post as derisive!

21 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

I really don't care whether you approve of my posts or not.

If you care to take the time to re-read what I said you will see that I did not specifically approve nor disapprove of your post, just made an accurate observation of your hypocrisy.

5 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Perhaps the thieves were waiting for the right opportunity and the right place to ensure that they weren't seen or caught?  As that was exactly what happened, and they seem to have got away with it so far, it makes a lot of sense.

Waiting for the right opportunity to catch them alone to rob them, I can understand. But they had 3 chances already and didn't do anything then. The Parking Lot at the Bank when they first had the money. The Parking Lot at the Shopping Mall, when they parked to go shopping and to exchange the money. The Parking Lot again at the Shopping Mall when they returned with the Fruit and money. 

5 hours ago, gdgbb said:

The whole thing smells fishy. If they didn't feel comfortable robbing them in a Parking Lot, even though they were able to cut a hole in there car window without being seen, why not follow them home and try there? Surely it would not be too difficult to over come to old people? To knock on the door and pretend you are lost or somebody needs help.   

Then you have to looks at these 2 or 3 Arab Guys as well. On that particular day they go out and rent a car using Fake ID and Passports, which in itself can't be an easy thing to do for the average person. That already seems a bit semi-professional to say the least. That is also a crime! So they start there day doing a crime with I guess the intention of committing a further more serious crime.

So after renting this car they decide to go to some bank to watch for some older guy taking big money out of the bank and walking home with it?  Maybe you can catch him in some dark back alley  on the way home? So okay! I can buy that plan. But what are you going to bring along in this planned robbery to the rented car? A Gun? A Knife? A Baseball Bat? Maybe! But if you were planning this crime would you think to bring a Glass Cutter so you could cut a square hole in a car window to get this money like they did? No Way!

Even if you were the one in a million and thought to bring a Glass Cutter with you, what are your chances of finding someone who takes big money out of the bank then leaves it in his car later unattended? That you would even know he would do this when he did? Is it another one in a million? At times I have had to take big money out of the bank and carry it on my person. Like when I bought a Condo and a House. But I go directly to do my business or get it secured. 

There have also been times when I have taken out 50,000 to 100,000 Baht and needed to go shopping first to. In that case I keep in on me at all times, or most cases put it in my wife's purse where we walk together in such a way they have to knock me over before they could get at her purse. If she needs to go to the washroom she leaves her purse with me to guard. This purse is never left for a second unattended by one or both of us. 

If a time every came up where I had to leave this money in my car, which so far has never happened nor can I ever see a reason this would happen, I would hide it while I locked it up in my Glove Box. I would never try to hide in with my groceries! When you have people around who would break your car window to get at a pair of sun glasses, you also risk them doing that for a bag of groceries to.

This whole robbery just sounds too perfect and professional to be real. Everything planned down to the last detail, including knowing the money would be left in the car, and when, and having Glass Cutters on you. Of course I don't know for sure and it is only a guess. But if I was an Insurance Adjuster I would be asking a lot of questions first, and before I gave up this money back in a claim.