Cyprus anyone been

hackjam

56 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Ideally, I would like to spend 2 nights in either Larnaca  or Paphos and then 3 nights in a seaside resort, not too busy.

Both Larnaca & Pathos are beach resorts Larnaca has a harbour with all that goes with it bars restaurants hotels ETC. Not to frequented by the main tourist peeps so might be a better bet than a so called beach resort.

Mackenzie beach in Larnaca has a multitude of Bars and restaurants. So has Pathos once you get to the beach part. You might find that the food will be more authentic not just the normal BBQ lamb With Greek Salad not that that isn't fab. Ask at your hotel where they would go for the best stuff I always do that and never been disappointed. Tip don't just stick to the main menu go for a Meze bit of everything don't go when your not hungry.

My advice would be pick one or the other and don't move. Your only going to be there for a few days why spend time moving hotels losing time. 

As for trips Google that to many to advise.

Have a good time the Greeks are lovely.

Edited by fredob43

• 2 weeks later...

If you like British tourists, Cyprus is the place to be.

If you have a death wish, rent a car.

But you could go camping wild behind Aphrodite's beach.

Or go to the occupied territories for some really nice beaches.

Oh - and never ask in a shop for "Turkish Delight" - I believe the Greeks call it "Glyko Sweets".

Cyprus is basically for women what Thailand is for old farts and other men that need to have some exotic sex. Cyprus is a major source of STDs in Europe. Girls/Women travel there in droves to get their hands on a hansum, not too bright dark sex machine for a week.

And then there is the much sought after UN soldiers of course.....If they are still there.....

Edited by AlQaholic

I really like Cyprus, the beaches, the food etc. Late April through to early June is a great time to go as the sea will be warm enough for swimming and there wlll still be some greenery on show. I think all the resorts already mentioned, Protaras, Ayia Napa, Larnaca, Paphos and even Limassol will provide you with an enjoyable holiday. If you want quiet and pretty and a good array of restaurants Polis on the North coast could also be an option.  Paphos is very British orientated (not necessarily a good thing) and they call Limassol 'little Russia'.

Edited by rogeroc

Not sure if Kyrenia is still occupied by the turks, but at the bottom of this site, you will see other places like Ayia napa, which was beautiful as was Limassol which comes alive at night, but that was back in 83 & 90, and from memory, it is was not a cheap destination back then, $3 AUS to 1 Cyprus pound. 

https://www.google.co.th/destination?q=places+to+visit+in+cyprus&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=770&site=search&output=search&dest_mid=/m/013rkq&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJsrqg4u3PAhUDtJQKHdMLCLsQri4IKg

You would really need a week, but either way, enjoy.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Mmm..., Cyprus must have changed quite a bit since I spent a week there 10 years ago at my mates wedding.

Stayed at one of the Constantiou Brothers hotels in Paphos, was 100% excellent holiday, great 4* beach hotel about 2k outside Paphos centre, hired a large cruiser motorbike a couple of days and went riding around checking out some of the ancient sites and travelled up through the mountains also - really enjoyed it. The roads were totally safe and easy on the main being in good condition, yeah out in the sticks some trail type bits but overall easy and safe. Was a good place to spend a week or two.

Paphos being one of the main resort towns then yes the nightlife is bars/clubs but thats what people want on holiday in the med, as for it being one of europes main places for STDs? News to me, have never heard anyone mention that before and anyway the OP is taking his GF so what has that got to do with the price of fish?

Cyprus is good to go...

On 10/17/2016 at 9:07 PM, melvgolf1 said:

Protaras for me is the ideal location, we do thailand in April and protaras in sept, it's close to larnaca and Ayia napa, as fredob says don't move around just hire a car

I used to holiday in Cyprus 2 or 3 times every year until I came to Thailand 3 years ago.  And even went there for a couple of weeks while in the U.K. for a holiday 2 years ago.

agree with this, 100%.  Protaras is a small coastal town on the eastern coast.  It has everything you need for a great base location.

there are very good hotels, restaurants and bars there and in the towns around it.

Inwould advise hiring a car at Larnaca airport, on your arrival.  Protaras is about a 70k drive.  They drive on the left, same as Thailand and the U.K. and far from the nightmare that someone else mentioned.  It's very safe to

drive there.  From Protaras, it's only a short drive to the border with Turkish Cyprus.  This is a good visit to make and as well as having great beaches, souvenirs are cheaper there.

Personaly, Indont like Paphos.  It's a mainstream tourist spot and lots of old people go there to relax.  It's also at the western end of the island, where the weather is more temperamental.

Staying in Larnaca would be my second choice.  Just a short bus ride from the airport and has everything.  Again, would recommend hiring a car for a couple of days to go look at historical sites.

Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A great meal in Cyprus is grilled sea bass with Greek salad and my favourite place to eat it for lunch is Kalimnos at Governers Beach. If you try it, make sure that you get a nice cold bottle of Cyprus white wine (if you drink alcohol). I usually never recommend restaurants or food because it is so easy for it to go wrong, however, I have been to this place several times and never had a bad lunch. 

Paphos is on the Greek side, but for a short vacation i wouldn't bother going there.

I used to live in Cyprus and spent quite a few summers there.

If you want to stay at the best beaches with great night life then have a look at

the map of Cyprus and check out the hotels on the South East Greek side.

There you will see three areas called Paralimni, Protaras and Ayia Napa.

All within close proximity to each other and have the nicest beaches, hotels and restaurants/tavernas.

Paralimni has Trinity Beach

Protaras has Fig Tree Bay & Sunrise Beach

Ayia Napa has Nissi Beach, Katsarka Beach & Pantachou Beach.

In the extreme south east corner of the island is a National Park called Cape Greco.

Just off the motorway approaching Ayia Napa there is a Themed Water Park called WaterWorld

Don't waste your time staying in any of the cities like Paphos, Limassol and Larnaca.

In spring the island is generally quiet except during the easter period.

If you get a flight to Larnaca airport instead of Paphos then it's only a 30-40 min

drive to the south east coastal area.

I would also rent a car or motor bike to explore around the island but the eastern and central mountainous areas are the best to visit on day trips. 

You could also prebook a rent a car from Larnaca airport as you land for the whole duration of your stay which makes life a lot easier.

Here's a google map link of the area i'm referring to:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.9813403,33.9455499,12.15z  

Edited by sotsira
Add Google map link

Hi Hamjack

if the mrs is  travelling on a thai passport she can visit the Turkish side of Cyprus without a visa. If you want to go to the Greek side then she will need a shengen visa.

We visited mid 2015 but I don't think anything visa wise has changed since then.

we stayed just outside Kyrenia in a small  village called Bellapaise? Spl nice and quiet    but convenient for Kyrenia which has lots of bars and restaurants around an old fishing harbour.

also Nicosia is only a short bus ride away and worth a visit. As well as the local markets. 

The North of the island can only be accessed via Turkey so a transit via Istanbul airport is necessary.

Turkey is worth a consideration as again visa free for Thais.

Would visit both destinations again.

tbwg

Hi Hamjack

if the mrs is  travelling on a thai passport she can visit the Turkish side of Cyprus without a visa. If you want to go to the Greek side then she will need a shengen visa.

We visited mid 2015 but I don't think anything visa wise has changed since then.

we stayed just outside Kyrenia in a small  village called Bellapaise? Spl nice and quiet    but convenient for Kyrenia which has lots of bars and restaurants around an old fishing harbour.

also Nicosia is only a short bus ride away and worth a visit. As well as the local markets. 

The North of the island can only be accessed via Turkey so a transit via Istanbul airport is necessary.

Turkey is worth a consideration as again visa free for Thais.

Would visit both destinations again.

tbwg

You can access the north from Cyprus there is a check point at ayias nick, famagusta is your first stop after the checkpoint kyrinia is s couple of hours away, be aware if you hire a car they will tell you that you are not insured to go to the north but you can buy insurance st the check point for 20 euros a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It has been a long time since I was there, however there are so many historical things to see.  Rent a car and follow the signs.  If you like wine try the local Kokenilli.  Fish mezes and all of the assorted kabobs are very good.   Halloumi cheese is a unique experience.  If the Green Line, UN Buffer Zone is still there it will somewhat restrict your travel on the island itself.  Lots of villages throughout the island with typical markets.  Many very good resturants.  Was affordable when I was there but as I said it has been a long time since my last visit.   If you have access to the HGTV network it had a couple of House Hunters International shows with people looking for a house on Cyprus.  Enjoy your visit.

Lived there for three years. preferred the Turkish side personally.  The history of Cyprus is amazing.  Every major ancient civilization seems to have occupied it at some stage.  I used to sleep on the beach in summer and wake to a mill pond calm sea for a dip.  In the fields behind the beach I found the broken shards of Roman pottery and small votive offerings in the form of clay torsos and heads  - I was told they were of the Goddess Diana. The weather  can be cool in winter.  As a kid, when I first lived there, we would swim in the morning and drive up Mt Troodos for the snow in the afternoon.  A lovely place with too many tourists and expats now.  The locals are friendly.  The food is great if you can get away from the typical tourist places.  Driving is fine and I would say it was essential if you want to see the Island.  Greek side or Turkish you will like it. 

Been to Cyprus,North and South.Much preferred the South. Beautiful scenery and good social place.Food is Great,fish and the wine is order of the day.Cypriots are wonderful people.

North, when i went,it wasnt really up on tourism.Had just started and mini skirted European girls were lusted over in the streets.Went to Kyrenia.

If i really had a choice, i would go back to Keffalonia.Fantastic.To see the Island of Ithaca and the dolphins in the bay is a great day out. Metaxis 5 star is the drink there.Also to see the tomb of Atrisismos is a good trip,and the wine co-operative there.Hire a little jeep for pennies and go around.

We went to the town where they made 'Captain Corelli's mandolin.Fab place.

Hope you have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

When visiting Ayanappa,we found a restaurant on the beach called the 'Xartsit"

The guy who owned it was a prisoner of war in Kyrenia.He was a fabulous cook.We were showed around the kitchen,so clean.We had Fried Spagetti starters with baked fish,salad and cold new potatoes.He gave us a half bottle of Cyprus Brandy.Wet down a treat.Also there was no copyright laws on the Island then,and we drank 'Southern Cyprus (copy Southern Comfort) and the videos(in those days)

were of the most recent of movies.The lady's in black used to come out in the mornings and sweep the street outside their houses.The island gives the impression that it has been volcanic,but it hasnt.The flowers are a sight to see,beautiful.Didnt stay in Ayanappa for to long,too many noisy disco's in the square,and also spotted a guy(British i would say from his language) fighting with a cypriot.Was told later that its a common occurrence,when the Cypriot guys come on too strong to a girl tourist and she doesnt want to know,a lot of Squaddies from Dekaila Garrison step in to "save the girl" and it gets a bit nasty. But,i have to say that our month in the south was great,besides all that. Went again,the following year to the North,A bit early for tourism there.It was ok,but i far prefer the south.

Have fun.

Hi Hackjam

I am staying in Cyprus for a month now. At the moment i am in Ayia Napa and am using a bicycle to get around. Next week i will go to Paphos (which i know quite well anyway). At the moment it is really very quiet and most bars, restaurants and even most hotels have shut down and i suspect Paphos will be the same. Amazing really as it is still great weather and the sea still warm for swimming.

I suspect if you are coming early in the Spring you will also find it quiet. It sounds to me that a beach rssort is a priority for you and in this respect i would recommend (as others have) that you would be better in the South West, Protaras in particular has some beautiful beaches and i think the sea is clearer than in Paphos area. I am not clear how you intend to travel but it is pretty easy, and cheap,  to get around most of the island by buses and the timetables are on the Internet. I myself will travel from Ayia Napa to Paphos by bus.

There was one very misleading Post here about the roads, i am on a bicycle so i know the roads are safe and the drivers are courteous, i have not had a car come anywhere near me. The roads and driving standards are so much better than Thailand.

In terms of costs a good plate of food in a nice restaurant is about 10 Euros, a half carafe or wine 6 to 7 Euros,  large beer 3 Euros.