Temple 'ritual'

tk47

When I was with a lady friend , she took me to her main Temple and gave the Monk a 10 Baht? note, got coins and held my hand while putting 2 coins in each of 5 receptacles (I think that amount is correct) and I think she prayed also.

What was happening? Can someone explain it to me please?

When I was with a lady friend , she took me to her main Temple and gave the Monk a 10 Baht? note, got coins and held my hand while putting 2 coins in each of 5 receptacles (I think that amount is correct) and I think she prayed also.

What was happening? Can someone explain it to me please?

Possibly, she was praying to "spirits" to transfer any merit attached to her donation to loved ones, alive or dead. More likely, from my observations, she was praying to said "spirits" for good fortune.

All for good luck,kharma and fortune.... :D

If you go to to some of the bigger temples she will probably take you around where you end up wai-ing to all of the images- angels and "saints" .and you could end end up with... a sore head.

You should also be invited to "do the walk" around the inner temple carrying the old joss sticks and praying for good luck.

Also you will get pulled in to meet the monks,have a chinwag and join in with their prayers.. where you will end up with a blessing...loads of holy water (same as being an altar boy...takes me back) and you will usually will be given a small budda token...like a holy medal.... :D

Now that we have semi adopted our local wat up in CM they have put our names above the red door so we can always find our way into "paradise".

They also got the local artist to put me up (name) with the Apsaras on the Temples main entrance just to the left of the big panel with the Lord Budda :D ....

I had to contribute to some of the other paintings but .hey ..why not....

Every visit seems to cost me a fortune in yellow buckets so next time will try for a trade account with the local Makros. :o

can't believe you guys wouldn't tell him ....................

congrats mate,

your married :D

Uh huh?

:o

And the Buddah I wear around my neck that was a gift from the same Temple is staying round my neck.

Wondering if Mid thinks that is like a choke chain :D

:o

Thais usually share what they are going to offer (to temples or monks) with others so that others have a chance to "anumodhana", meaning "being happy when others doing wholesome deeds". As a result, both gain merits. The former gains by giving the offerings to temples and sharing merit with others, and the latter by being happy of such action. Sometimes you will see a chain of arms among merit seekers touching the next person when someone is offering food or necessities to monks. But there is also a belief in Thailand that if people share merits together, it is likely that they would have a chance to share merit together again in the future, hence being born and seeing each other again, particularly husband and wife.

To know for certain what it really means, you need to ask her why she was holding your hands while putting the coins in the recepticles. Good luck and be happy!