is a Drone useful in thailand? Mavic, go pro, just amazing!

pattayalover

recently I watched videos on these new amazing drones.

2 are very good and have highlighted my deepest curiosity and profound interest in this scientific and honourable mater . :)

the tji Mavic, compact and fast. and has anti crash system. it uses camera and infra red camera. it has a follow me system.

and the new go pro Drone. slightly bigger but I like it because remote control has all. no need to plug an iPhone and I think it has a memory stick to record video in the remote control, it has instead a mobile gimball to hand your camera and camera must be bought separately. just a shame that it doesn't have anti crash system and a follow me system like the Chinese Mavic.

but what are the use of these Drones? make video on youtube. ok then.? learn to fly?

which one to buy?

They are toys, albeit expensive toys, they are still toys.

I have flown R/C aircraft for a number of years and have never been able to figure out why other R/C folks would spend $1000 plus on a toy that takes a picture.

I understand that maybe you want some aerial footage of your home and surrounding area, but after you do that, what are you going to do with the drone/quad? Not much I guess.

Some people race them, but then again, they are racing an expensive toy.

If you're in Pattaya, take a drive to the indoor soccer stadium on Chayapruk Rd, I think it is. Go through the gate and down the divided drive toward the building. When you get to the building , turn right & follow the drive around the building. When you get to the back, look about 45* off to your right and a few hundred meters away & there will be people there, flying R/C, in the morning and late afternoon, most days. Someone there will be into it & can answer questions, I suppose.

Edited by Tagaa
Additional info

its a hobby, either you like it or not, really doesn't need much explaining. If you don't do video editing and post videos on a monthly basis as a hobby, then a drone is probably not for you, you will probably fly it couple times at first and it will just sit on the shelf.

If you don't travel a lot or go outdoors much, its not for you too. You will probably take one or two videos of your house and surrounding and that will be it.

Just enjoy the videos online and call it a day.

A drone is essentially a flying camera that enables you to take amazing footage from a bird's eye view that you wouldn't normally be able to get. You can then make a video and put it up on Youtube etc.

If you're starting off, the entry level DJI Phantom 3 Standard is actually a good option. I managed to get my hands on one and take some footage these last few months and have been very impressed with it. I was a bit wary of the build quality since Chinese companies don't have the best reputation in this regard, but so far it's been fine. If you found it wasn't for you, you could always sell it on for a small loss.

The smaller DJI Mavic and GoPro Karma drones are more recent options that are easier to carry round than the bulky Phantom 3 and 4. That is actually one of the drawbacks of the latter - their size makes them a bit troublesome to lug around places, even in one of the specially designed drone backpacks.

With Thailand's numerous temples, you can get some nice footage. Just make sure you don't fly it over the Grand Palace!

Before forking over a bunch of money on a drone for Thailand, it's best to research the current rules and the recent enforcement of those rules.

After the 2014 unrest, quite a few online drone videos showed some of the protests in too great a detail.  They passed some rules forbidding drones with cameras in cities, ostensibly on privacy grounds.  There are also rules on flying drones at all on safety grounds.  Of course, just because there are rules...

I don't follow the updates on the drone regulations since I'm in downtown BKK and the rules are pretty clear here.  If I lived in the boondocks, I'd check the rules before I took mine out and flew it.  

And I'd definitely check before I spent $1,000 on an amazing drone that takes spectacular HD video.  Love the concept, but wouldn't want to waste my money on something I can't use.

• 2 weeks later...