White or Black Shirts?

ThaiEddie

What is the difference between wearing white and black for mourning or while at funerals? Does the white come from the Hindu religion? Are either appropriate? 

RIP His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Edited by ThaiEddie

1 minute ago, PoorSucker said:

Chinese wear white as sign of mourning.

From memory of what l've read apparently the country of Thailand's main funeral colour is black.

The Japanese wear white as well.

From Wilki :- Buddhism in many Asian cultures, white is a traditional color worn as a sign of mourning

Black or white is fine according to my Thai colleagues.

As it happens all the Thais have turned up in white shirts, all the foreigners in black / dark shirts. Generally avoiding bright colours is the accepted rule.

2 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

How long will people be wearing the black or white shirts ?

I know everything is in flux now but any educated guesses ?

In the office they are saying black shirt for the first few days, then black or white for a month.  Only Government offices are likely to be the full year.

3 minutes ago, Changwatchap said:

My thai friends say realistically there will be a month of mourning. But as a foreigner wear what colour you want, nobody cares unless it is really out there (haiwaain)

All my "normal" shirts are "flowery "Aloha" shirts , 

I will have to dig around and find some black shirts without advertising logos on them

2 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

All my "normal" shirts are "flowery "Aloha" shirts , 

I will have to dig around and find some black shirts without advertising logos on them

Advertising logos are OK - just a black, white or black and white shirt, T-shirt or LBD.  Was at the visa centre today (it's closing at 12:00) and everyone was wearing black or white - so would look a bit inconsiderate to wear something bright.