True TV Thailand Status with English News & Sports

dannywla

For TrueVisions Cable, in Bangkok, it seems some of the sport channels are finally back (666-), some of the movie channels are back (222-) but not all. A few sports channels were showing live and taped events but in black & white (this morning). While I haven't gone through every channel it seems like 50 - 80% remain the "TV Pool Feed". Not sure if someone needs to approve each channel/program? Probably, like many things, this is uncharted territory so people are probably leaning towards being overly cautious to avoid getting in trouble?

All TV and radio channels to return to own programming but with no entertainment and emotional contents

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tv-radio-channels-return-programming-no-entertainment-emotional-contents/

Edited by mtls2005

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Not sure if someone needs to approve each channel/program? Probably, like many things, this is uncharted territory so people are probably leaning towards being overly cautious to avoid getting in trouble?

I couldn't believe what "BBC World" were saying on Thursday evening. No wonder the plug got pulled. And tonight the feed was cut for a while, probably while they were talking about the events here. Serves them right.

28 minutes ago, tweezer said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like all the Truevisions channels that are on now are being broadcast with desaturated color?  Not black and white, but definitely desaturated and toned down.  I can understand if they might do that.

Yes, it's very noticeable.

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:
44 minutes ago, tweezer said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like all the Truevisions channels that are on now are being broadcast with desaturated color?  Not black and white, but definitely desaturated and toned down.  I can understand if they might do that.

Yes, it's very noticeable.

Ah, thanks for this. I thought my TV was on the blink and switched to the "Vivid" setting to get some colour back. facepalm.gif

15 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I couldn't believe what "BBC World" were saying on Thursday evening. No wonder the plug got pulled. And tonight the feed was cut for a while, probably while they were talking about the events here. Serves them right.

The obnoxious Lucy Hocking certainly had the tact and sensitivity of a bull in a china shop when interviewing Jonathan Head, didn't she?

As did that gormless female reporter yesterday afternoon who attempted to interview 2 Thai women on a matter which could well have led to them being banged up for a very long time before, surprise, surprise, the link was cut yet again!

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

The obnoxious Lucy Hocking certainly had the tact and sensitivity of a bull in a china shop when interviewing Jonathan Head, didn't she?

Yes, absolutely clueless. I used to like her when she first appeared as she spoke so clearly with a mostly English accent. I couldn't believe she was a New Zealander. But now her accent has become thicker and thicker.

I just checked Wikipedia - she was sent to the Royal Academy of Drama for speech lessons! Amazing! I must've first noticed her after she just came back.

13 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Yes, absolutely clueless. I used to like her when she first appeared as she spoke so clearly with a mostly English accent. I couldn't believe she was a New Zealander. But now her accent has become thicker and thicker.

I just checked Wikipedia - she was sent to the Royal Academy of Drama for speech lessons! Amazing! I must've first noticed her after she just came back.

Jonathan Head is a seasoned pro in my view as the BBC's Bangkok correspondent of several years' standing, but even he looked decidely uncomfortable with Hocking's aggressively persistent style of questioning from the relative sanctuary of Broadcasting House.

Makes me seriously wonder what sort of training the BBC give to their correspondents and presenters on local sensitivities generally (and not just those here in Thailand). I would have thought that the desired result could be achieved simply through some standing instruction to their correspondents and presenters to read up on the latest relevant FCO travel advice before opening their big mouths!

Edited by OJAS