Transferring money from UK bank to thai bank ?

Macthehat

Is there a better method which gives a better rate ? At the minute my uk bank is giving me 42.4 when I transfer from my uk account to my Thai account ..

While waiting on money clearing I took 2000b from a bank of Bangkok ATM with my UK visa debit and was prompted this transaction would cost me 200b .. seems a bit steep to me . Was wondering is there a more beneficial way to get cash for my account (UK) any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

As I read it, that's not a transfer, that's using a Thai bank's ATM to facilitate a withdrawal direct from your UK account. The Thai bank will then charge you a "handling fee" of 200 baht. If you want to transfer money from your UK bank account to your Thai bank account and then use your Thai ATM card to withdraw from your Thai bank account, that's entirely different

6 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

As I read it, that's not a transfer, that's using a Thai bank's ATM to facilitate a withdrawal direct from your UK account. The Thai bank will then charge you a "handling fee" of 200 baht. If you want to transfer money from your UK bank account to your Thai bank account and then use your Thai ATM card to withdraw from your Thai bank account, that's entirely different

Sorry let me rephrase that ..I also took 2000 from bkk bank with my uk visa debit at a cost of 200b ..previously 

I transfered 1000 pounds sterling to a thai bank at a rate of 42.4 previously and was waiting on clearance of 2 or 3 days hence the ATM transaction  . The Thai bank account has just been opened. 

2 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

Is there a better method of transferring as the rate I get from my bank is lower than the actual ratexam of exchange .

You're saying 42.5 is too low a rate? What's that got to do with being charged 200 baht by a Thai ATM? The rate you'll get from the withdrawal is something like the interbank rate - presumably 42.5 or thereabouts. The 200 baht fee has nothing to do with the exchange rate. The absolutely pure rate at the moment is ~ 43 (per Google)

For the transfer send it in pounds and let the thai bank convert, always a better rate.

For ATMs i dont think there are any no fee ATMs anymore, so withdraw more, you withdrew 2000 and paid 10% fees, withdraw 20000 and pay 1%

Western union charges more than a swift transfer and gives you a shit exchange rate

2 minutes ago, jonw8uk said:

For the transfer send it in pounds and let the thai bank convert, always a better rate.

For ATMs i dont think there are any no fee ATMs anymore, so withdraw more, you withdrew 2000 and paid 10% fees, withdraw 20000 and pay 1%

Western union charges more than a swift transfer and gives you a shit exchange rate

Cheers jon

Archived