First Thai work permit

I have been living in Phuket, Thailand living with my Thai wife and our 9 year old daughter for 10 years. I am a US citizen and usually have always gotten a non immigrant O visa based on Marriage multiple entry visa valid for 1 year. I usually leave Thailand every 3 months to extend my time if I am not returning to the US to work aboard ships an an engineering officer. Now I have been offered a job in Thailand and my Thai employer is working on my work permit through his lawyer. They are now asking me to get six  3 cm  by 4 cm photos. I also read that the in order to change from the Non O based on marriage to the work visa, I will have to leave Thailand and go to a consulate in the region or back to the US to get the correct visa in my passport. Please let me know if I have to do anything to avoid problems in this process. Any advice will be appreciated.

You don't have to change visas. You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.  You can even use your income form working to meet the 40k baht income to apply for the extension.

I don't recall how many photos are needed for work permit application.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't have to change visas. You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.  You can even use your income form working to meet the 40k baht income to apply for the extension.

I recall that the Phuket  labour office is rogue in that they insist on a "B" visa before issuing a WP. 

I may of course be mistaken in my recollection.

I Have Done So ... I Am Married To Thai Wife Having 3 Sons, Holder Of Yellow Residence Book, Staying In Thailand Mire Than 7 Years  ... I Was Having NON - O Visa And It Was Fine ...

But Then I Got A English Teaching Job And That Job Requirement Was To Have Work Permit ... So The School Worker Took Me Out And I Quit Thailand by Finishing My NON - O Visa 

Entered In Malaysia And Got NON - B ( Bussiness Visa ) And Re-entered Thailand On Fresh Visa ... It Took One Month In Malaysia  For All Verification Of Documents And Then I Got

Thai Visa From Malaysia ... On NON - B Visa I Got My Teaching Work Permit And Working ... May Salary Is 15000 Bhat So I Dont Have To Pay Any Tax ... But The Only Problem Is That 

That You Are Dependent On Employer ... Even You Have One Year Visa Once They Fire You From Job Or Cancel Your Work Permit Your Rest Of Time Expires And You Get Exactly 7 Days

To Find A New Job Employer Or Leave The Country ... Even If You Have 3 Years Contract Once Your Job Is Gone Your Visa Gone What Ever Period You Have ... That's The Worst Part Of It ...

For NON - O Visa You Have To leave The Country And Get The Fresh Visa From Your Origion Of Country ...  Working Permit Under Wife ( Non-O ) Visa Is Only Allowed Upon Making A Company

On Her Name holding 49% Share Of Yours Own Being Designated And Positioned As A Manager  In That Firm With Atleast 2 Million Capital To Be Declared At Least ... That is The Safest And

Secure Visa But You Can Not Work Else Where On That Visa ... I Mean JOB ...

So My Advise Is If You Are Confident That The Job Is Secure Then Go For It Otherwise You Knows Better ...

Best Regards

AhSaN ...  

1 hour ago, ahsan959 said:

I Have Done So ... I Am Married To Thai Wife Having 3 Sons, Holder Of Yellow Residence Book, Staying In Thailand Mire Than 7 Years  ... I Was Having NON - O Visa And It Was Fine ...

But Then I Got A English Teaching Job And That Job Requirement Was To Have Work Permit ... So The School Worker Took Me Out And I Quit Thailand by Finishing My NON - O Visa 

Entered In Malaysia And Got NON - B ( Bussiness Visa ) And Re-entered Thailand On Fresh Visa ... It Took One Month In Malaysia  For All Verification Of Documents And Then I Got

Thai Visa From Malaysia ... On NON - B Visa I Got My Teaching Work Permit And Working ... May Salary Is 15000 Bhat So I Dont Have To Pay Any Tax ... But The Only Problem Is That 

That You Are Dependent On Employer ... Even You Have One Year Visa Once They Fire You From Job Or Cancel Your Work Permit Your Rest Of Time Expires And You Get Exactly 7 Days

To Find A New Job Employer Or Leave The Country ... Even If You Have 3 Years Contract Once Your Job Is Gone Your Visa Gone What Ever Period You Have ... That's The Worst Part Of It ...

For NON - O Visa You Have To leave The Country And Get The Fresh Visa From Your Origion Of Country ...  Working Permit Under Wife ( Non-O ) Visa Is Only Allowed Upon Making A Company

On Her Name holding 49% Share Of Yours Own Being Designated And Positioned As A Manager  In That Firm With Atleast 2 Million Capital To Be Declared At Least ... That is The Safest And

Secure Visa But You Can Not Work Else Where On That Visa ... I Mean JOB ...

So My Advise Is If You Are Confident That The Job Is Secure Then Go For It Otherwise You Knows Better ...

Best Regards

AhSaN ...  

You have 3 children and earn 15k per month? how do you manage this? 

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I would avoid changing to a non B from your current status, since your permission to stay in Thailand will become contingent on your continued employment with this particular employer. This may be a nice lever for your employer, but not so nice for you.

6 minutes ago, fstarbkk said:

I would avoid changing to a non B from your current status, since your permission to stay in Thailand will become contingent on your continued employment with this particular employer. This may be a nice lever for your employer, but not so nice for you.

This is incorrect. If you have a B Visa and lose your job you can still remain in Thailand for the remainder of the visa validity.

If you are on an extension of stay then yes you will lose you permission to stay when the job is lost as the extension is granted due to employment and once employment ends extension is no longer valid. 

1 minute ago, ericthai said:

This is incorrect. If you have a B Visa and lose your job you can still remain in Thailand for the remainder of the visa validity.

If you are on an extension of stay then yes you will lose you permission to stay when the job is lost as the extension is granted due to employment and once employment ends extension is no longer valid. 

True dat. I should have specified "after the original visa expires". Nevertheless, this will eventually happen. And my point was that there's no upside for the OP to change in any case.

9 hours ago, ahsan959 said:

That is not correct. Not sure who told you that.

For one thing you don't have to return to your home country to get the non-o visa based upon marriage. Almost every nearby embassies and consulates will issue a single entry non-o visa.

Many people have work permits and are working with non-o visas  and extensions of stay based upon marriage. It is not restricted to being your own company.

• Like 1